Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennly View Post
There is absolutely no way you can get to Bear Mountain in 30 to 40 minutes unless you go at two in the morning and drive 90 the whole way.

I have lived in NY for a long time and each year the traffic gets more and more absurd. I love living here but it can be such a hassle to just try to get away for a day or the weekend and I was comparing it to other cities where that is not as much of an issue.
I live on the upper west side, right next to the West Side Highway. I can get there in that time from where I live. I did used to tend to drive relatively fast when I would go there on the weekends, but there aren't such bad traffic issues going across the GWB and up the Palisades, except maybe at rush hours which wouldn't be necessary if you're going there for the hiking or nature. I do agree that the traffic in the city sucks and at some point one may want to live a life with less traffic, less constant stopping and waiting at lights (or being squeezed amongst a bunch of strangers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post
Do any of you also want to get the hell outta here, but have not found the opportunity?
I like NYC for all its positives but also recognize its negatives. In an ideal world, I'd make my main home in Forest Hills Gardens, thus remaining to enjoy all of NYC's offerings, but I'd have a vacation home in Florida.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I like NYC for all its positives but also recognize its negatives. In an ideal world, I'd make my main home in Forest Hills Gardens, thus remaining to enjoy all of NYC's offerings, but I'd have a vacation home in Florida.
I would LOVE to be able to afford one of those homes in Forest Hills Gardens. It's like perfect suburbian mansions but in the city, love it. If only I made a few million a year lol. Maybe after I write my book

Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I would LOVE to be able to afford one of those homes in Forest Hills Gardens. It's like perfect suburbian mansions but in the city, love it. If only I made a few million a year lol. Maybe after I write my book
yep..maybe we can co-author a book on why people move out of the city or on dating in NYC, and split the profits, buy two homes in the Gardens next to each other, wave to each other from our yards, and live happily ever after.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
yep..maybe we can co-author a book on why people move out of the city or on dating in NYC, and split the profits, buy two homes in the Gardens next to each other, wave to each other from our yards, and live happily ever after.

Awesome, sounds like a good idea

Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
i don't get the reason or agenda.....i grew up in co conn and nyc is my home. has always been.....

Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i don't get the reason or agenda.....i grew up in co conn and nyc is my home. has always been.....
I think you miss it here. Are you planning on returning as vs. those who want to move out?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
As far as I can see, nope I will never moved out of NYC. I am so attached to this city. Well at least I have lived outside of the city for a while and have travel to other cities. But there is nothing quite like it for me. I live in Manhattan now, but if I move, I will probably end up somewhere in Brooklyn.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
RR3

41 posts, read 50,555 times
Where do people go when they move out of New York, anyway?

My idea of "getting away" is a trip to ..i don't know, Europe or Central Park (lol) or maybe even Greenwich, but I could never ever move out of the city and and head to these backwood regions some of you find so endearing.

I will never ever leave Manhattan, and I'm not even from here. I have to be in a large cosmopolitan city (London, Paris, NY) and would just die if I had to move to the Bay Area, Seattle or Florida! I even get all uncomfortable when I go back home out of state to visit my family for too long. I don't like the Bay Area, and I will never understand the attraction from so many on this thread. If I wanted suburban living, I would move to Greenwich or something.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:13 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
May I ask the ages of those who want to stay and those who want to leave (though I gather the OP is young)? I know when I was in my 20's I wouldn't have considered going anywhere else, I found the city so fun and exciting with all its night clubs and activity.

But as you get older you often want more peace, and when you have a kid you want them in a nice school and a house with a yard for them to play in. I lived in CT until I was 13 when I moved here, so I had a wonderful childhood there right near a small beach on the LI Sound, woods with a pond to ice skate on and run around in (and smoke cigarillos in at age 9 lol) and a lake to jump off of rocks in. Back in the day we did all of these activities without any adult supervision, and we were like 7 years old. Times have changed and my daughter wont be going out of my site, country or not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City