Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:58 PM

79 posts, read 303,019 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I hate this city. I've been in New York since when I was nine, was pushed through its crappy public education system, and now I'm about to graduate college. I can't wait till I grow my own financial wings and fly to a greener part of the country. I have been thinking about this for long time and now its finally close to reality.

Do any of you also want to get the hell outta here, but have not found the opportunity?

Things I hate about New York:
1. It's ugly (it only looks nice from a bird's eye view; walking down the street, every other block is disgusting)
2. Rent and home prices (I don't want to spend an overwhelming chunk of my salary on rent)
3. The number of annoying people (the rude, the uneducated, the gangster wannabe's, and everyone in between)
4. Transportation (Traffic is bad, subway is slow, can't get out of the borough via bus and its even slower)
5. It's the farthest place from nature

I'm aiming for the west coast after graduation. Preferably, the Bay Area or Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I think most people on this board really like NY. I love the city dearly, but I don't want to live inside the 5 boroughs long-term. I want to move back to Long Island. I miss it. If my fiance and I don't find a house on LI before our wedding (July), we'll probably rent in Queens where I won't need a car to save money. I'd rather be on LI, but we would save for a house more if we stayed in Queens for a little longer.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
I love this city, to the OP the grass is not always greener on the other side, you will find shi*ty rude people wherever you go, public transportation is BY FAR superior here compared to most cities in the US, and if you do not think it is a beautiful city (architecture, parks etc) you have definitely been here to long and need to move away

but you will find cheaper rents elsewhere

Old 12-02-2008, 06:35 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
I am totally with you. I grew up here too and I'm just tired of the headaches. I want things easier and greener and less crowded whether cars or people. Though for a city I think its very beautiful and the public transportation does its best.

So I also want to get out but I dont think I'd want to live across the country because I must say I love my New Yorkers. We are a special breed and often those that go elsewhere cannot stand the people and lifestyle. I was going to move to FL but now I'm thinking I'm going to relocate around 30 miles from the City so I can still work here if needed. I would love to find a job outside of the City though, but still be nearby to see family and friends and keep in touch with the New York vibe.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post
To be honest, I hate this city. I've been in New York since when I was nine, was pushed through its crappy public education system, and now I'm about to graduate college. I can't wait till I grow my own financial wings and fly to a greener part of the country. I have been thinking about this for long time and now its finally close to reality.

Do any of you also want to get the hell outta here, but have not found the opportunity?

1. It's ugly (it only looks nice from a bird's eye view; walking down the street, every other block is disgusting)
2. Rent and home prices (I don't want to spend an overwhelming chunk of my salary on rent)
3. The number of annoying people (the rude, the uneducated, the gangster wannabe's, and everyone in between)
4. Transportation (Traffic is bad, subway is slow, can't get out of the borough via bus and its even slower)

I'm aiming for the west coast after graduation. Preferably, the Bay Area or Seattle.
Good riddance.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I am totally with you. I grew up here too and I'm just tired of the headaches. I want things easier and greener and less crowded whether cars or people. Though for a city I think its very beautiful and the public transportation does its best.

So I also want to get out but I dont think I'd want to live across the country because I must say I love my New Yorkers. We are a special breed and often those that go elsewhere cannot stand the people and lifestyle. I was going to move to FL but now I'm thinking I'm going to relocate around 30 miles from the City so I can still work here if needed. I would love to find a job outside of the City though, but still be nearby to see family and friends and keep in touch with the New York vibe.
NEPA is the place for you

just go to their forum and ask around

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post

you will be homesick withing a year of your leave

you may find that you do not fit in well with the people at those new places

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,435 times
HELLS NO!!!!!!!!! I doubt I'll ever leave. NY has always and will always be my home.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Rather than just going as far away as you can, you might want to consider Washington, DC.

It's a much lower key city with a much cleaner subway system and a lot of green space with height restrictions on buildings to keep density on a human scale, but it still has that urban vibe of being in the epicenter of something (in this case, global politics). Rent will probably be a little cheaper, but not a whole lot, but there's a really strong transient culture there of highly educated young people from all over the country and world.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,256 times
I know a lot of people who happen to be born and raised in the City who don't seem to be particularly interested in the unique assets of New York... A coworker of mine who's lived in Queens all his life absolutely hates public transit and loves driving. He's also kind of a homebody who spends a lot of time playing video games and shopping on the Internet. If these are your interests, why not move to Boise, Idaho and live like a king? Booming job market, cheap cost of living, and you can find strip malls and Wal-Marts anywhere these days.

New York's not for everyone. I also think it's good for people to get out of their comfort zone.. if you've been in this area all your life it'd be a great experience to live elsewhere. I've traveled all over the country and lived throughout the Northeast and South. I would consider moving to a cheaper, slower city when I'm older, married and settled down. But right now in my life I wouldn't live anywhere but New York City.

If anything, sometimes I wish this city were even bigger, faster, and had even more going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City