Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTtogetalawyer View Post
I totally agree with you LLovely. My mother died and I kept her apartment and now they are asking me to give it up and I don"t feel it is fair. This has been my home for 30 years. Why should I have to give up my home so that they can move in more trash. My development was a wonderful place to grow up and now we have 1 worker cleaning 8 buildings. SMDH! I dont give a damn who is waiting for a bigger apartment that is not my problem. I am going to fill out the transfer only so that they will not be able to stick me just anywhere. But i will only move to a smaller apartment in my same building. I will not move to any other building that is drug infested. My building is the only good building left out here. I do not want one of those "barbie doll" apartments. I guess i will just do what the foreigners do and start having kids....
You could. Or you could, you know, start paying your own way in the world and then the NYCHA wouldn't have authority over you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Actually what "foreigners" do is work hard, oftentimes for slave labor and suffer abuses quietly, while americans whine/complains about how life is sooo unfair, as they sit home all week waiting for their check, buy froot loops and 3 liters of pepsi with their food stamps, and pay $200 a month for their NYCHA apt (all utilities included!). Yes...truly life is unfair for you..so sorry. And just because you reside in an apt does not mean it is yours, permanently, at the rent you deem fair or reasonable, especially in NYCHA housing. You don't call the shots, they do, CUZ THEY ARE SUBSIDIZING YOU.

So you will move into a 1 bedroom, OR you can always move out right? I wonder which you will do.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 PM

86 posts, read 172,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
thats what the housing manager said when me nad my mom went to check out the other apartment in another housing project on the main project community. Whether or not troubled family deserves it its not because of me but the housing manager thats his problem. Dont get me wrong I wanna move but im trying to wait until my economic situation improves. Trying on to become an NYPD officer, jsut waiting for my appeal to go through. But anyway housing wanted us to move, other tenants in the building had a similar situation and told my family not to bother, dont respond back, or just sit in the apartment. Today we are still here and still paying 900 dollar months rent. Housing dont bother us and just sends us the usual annual lease recertification and monthly rent bill and thats it. Dont get me wrong I do wanna move and get out of housing overall and give up this 4 bedroom apartment to someone else, and believe me theres lots of families with a size greater then 6 people that needs the apartment we have!

That is are stereo typing the people that live in housing and in need of larger apartments! In actuality I rent my own apartment and I don't live with my Mother as you do. I work in a civil service position and am not a troubled resident as you had initially stayed on one of your post regarding overcrowded families. Further more if you have been downgraded yet you soon will be. Watch the news or do your research. I live in the city in a great neighbor and highly desirable. Please do correct yourself before you check yourself. What kind of police officer would you be if placed in a PSA and feeling that way about the residents and development you are serving. I am way too late in this post, but I hope it finds and enlightens you. Good luck...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsysta04 View Post
how long does it take to get a transfer after you recieve the letter of approval. My husband and I are looking for a bigger apt we have four children in a one bedroom...We want to move from one borough to the next...we are currently in sheepsheadbay and want to transfer into queens...but they are giving us a hard time the management told my husband we have to give them a legitimate reason..isn't overcrowding enough? and why shouldn't we have a choice in which borough we want to go...if you have any info that can help us please let us know....
You can move to any borough you want once the transfer is approved, however you must remain on your development waiting list for 2 years without being called to be able to select another development. After the 2 years they can not tell you that you have to remain in your borough. Please call you authority if this is still the case.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILONE924 View Post
WELL TO THE COMMENT ABOVE I HAVD NOT LIVED IN HOUSING ALLOF MY LIFE IVE JUST MADE 2 YEARS LIVING IN A DEVELOPMENT NOW. i DO NOT PLAN ON STAYING THERE FOREVER BUT IM THERE NOW. AND I WOULD RESPECT IT IF PEOPLE WERE CONSIDERATE. HAVING EXTRA SPACE IF YOU DO NOT NEED IT AND BEING ANGRY BECAUSE U ARE ASKED TO DOWNSIZE ACCORDING TO YOUR HOUSEHOLD NEED SO THAT A PERSON WHO ACTUALLY NEEDS THE SPACE CAN MAKE A HOME THERE AS WELL IS SELFISH AND IDIOTIC. IF A PERSON WANTS TO HAVE A HUGE APARTMENT WITH EXTRA ROOMS THEN MAYBE THEY SHOULD BE THE ONES TO FIND A GOOD JOB AND MOVE OUT TO A MANSION WHERE THEY CAN HAVE ALL THE ROOMS THEY NEED AND THEY ARE NOT DEPRIVING SOMOEN WITH LOW INCOME OF A HOME. BTW I HAVE A GOOD JOB AND A COLLEGE GRADUATE BUT RIGHT NOW LIVING IN HOUSING IS HELPING ME GET ON MY FEET PROPERLY AND PROVIDE A HOME FOR MY SON. I DONT ABUSE THE SYSTEM LIKE OTHERS DO I USE FOR WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR TO HELP PEOPLE GET ON THEIR FEET. THIS IS WHY THIS WORLD IS TEH WAY IT IS NOWADAY TOO MANY PEOPLE THINKING AS AN I INSTEAD OF A WE. I UNDERSTAND PEOPLE FEEL CHEATED WHEN ASKED TO DOWNSIZE BUT ITS TO PROVIDE SOMEONE NEW WITH A HOME. THEY ARE NOT THROWING YOU

TO THE STREET THEY ARE JUST GIVING YOU AN APT FIT FOR UR HOUSEHOLD.
ITS CRAZY HOW PEOPEL GET UPSET BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO
PROVIDE A HOME FOR A NEW FAMILY. YOU EVER TINK IF THAT WERE YOU?
THINK ON THAT PEOPLE.
I couldn't have said it better myself! They should understand the needs of others. In addition to that when I receive my larger apartment I would gladly with it up to someone who need it more, after I no longer do. Good reply, people are selfish.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkcalderon View Post
Fu*k that $hit im all by myself in a two bedroom apt and i have lived here 26 years and i understand how people feel about familes that need apts but im not going to transfer from a community that i have known my whole life where its safe for me, and where there are cameras to move to a bad neighborhood with a high crime rate and one day get shot just because i decided to step out into a new community and the people there do no like me. dont make a family if u have to struggle and push aside the next family that has worked their whole entire life to get where the are at now. i know people are struggling but that's not my fault and nor housings. its the people who need the apartments fault and im not paying for their mistakes in life.
Wow powerful, so what's your mistake for currently being in a Nycha apt?? Btw you will have to move it just a matter of time, however if you tell them you want to stay in your development now they won't give you a problem. If you choose to ignore letter after letter they will but you on a borough wide list in the borough you live in.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
The NY Post mentioned this thread in an article about NYCHA.

Housing Authority tenants hoarding large apartments keeps other families out - NYPOST.com

Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM

65 posts, read 81,522 times
Hey if you read the article we had 2 quotes from 2 city-data posters!

“I’m all by myself in a two-bedroom app and I have lived here 26 years and I understand how people feel about families that needs apts but I’m not going to transfer from a community I’ve known my whole life . . . to move to bad neighborhood with a high crime rate and one day get shot,” a tenant identified as LinkCalderon wrote on the city-data.com forum site.

On the other side, JayBrown80 recommended gripers pipe down because they’re all receiving government subsidies. “I totally support the safety net for those people who cannot help themselves,” he wrote. “But it’s a safety net, not a safety hammock where you get comfortable and stay there for the rest of your life.”

Cool! And on a side note, I know a guy who i is "disabled", about 45, who lives in a 2 bedroom, and they reached out to him to transfer to a 1 bedroom. He said he would only move if he stayed in the same building! Of course, they will be packing, moving him, and unpacking everything for him. What a life!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Congratulations LinkCalderon.

And Congratulations to you too Jay Brown altough I will never forget the evil implication you made about me in other thread.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBronxGuy View Post

Cool! And on a side note, I know a guy who i is "disabled", about 45, who lives in a 2 bedroom, and they reached out to him to transfer to a 1 bedroom. He said he would only move if he stayed in the same building! Of course, they will be packing, moving him, and unpacking everything for him. What a life!
My friend has been operated two times in the lower back between the fourth and fifht due to a slipped disc. When he moved we had to do almost everything for him, yes it was annyoing to see him just standing there and give directions were the couch should be placed etc. But I can understand that if he lifts something heavy his disc can slip again or worse yet the whole spinal chord can snap and I don't want him to be a certified invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City