Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 PM

27 posts, read 70,481 times

Advertisements

Why did you choose the one you chose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Yo!

33 posts, read 38,355 times
I have spent alot of time in Boston growing up cause my Grandmother lived there for all of my life.
I've lived in NYC for all my life and I have to choose NYC.
Boston is nice and all, but its completely taken over by transient college students. I love the architecture of Boston, but it just lacks umph!
Boston has been gentrified much faster than NYC has. Boston Proper just symbolizes the the essential yuppy town with no flavor. The Burbs of boston have more flavor than the actual city.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 PM

31 posts, read 102,897 times
I do like Boston. It's very clean, refined...and awesome. However, I think their snooty attitudes are worse than some of the NYers here. Plus, NYC is an old city, so I can somewhat forgive it's filthiness.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYQUEEN View Post
I do like Boston. It's very clean, refined...and awesome. However, I think their snooty attitudes are worse than some of the NYers here. Plus, NYC is an old city, so I can somewhat forgive it's filthiness.
Boston is pretty old too, if not older.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 PM

31 posts, read 102,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo! View Post
Boston is pretty old too, if not older.
Yeah that's true! Why did I forget that? You are VERY right. I was completely blind to it, because when I went it was just impeccable. The architecture and layout of the city are simply gorgeous.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Yo!

I prefer the street grid in NYC compared to Boston's chicken wire in terms of functionality. The windy roads throughout the city of boston are beautiful, but try driving it everyday.
My most memorable times of Boston are during Christmas time, cuz thats when we visited my grandma. The whole town empties out of its college kids and tranplants. the christmas decorations are done in so much better taste than those of the New Yorkers.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,294 times
Default Cannot compare....

Truly one cannot compare these two cities. I lived in Boston and am from PA. I always thought Boston and Philadelphia have a lot in common in many ways. That's another topic. New York is in the big league, with LA and San Francisco (I lived there as well). For me, New York is supreme because of the intricate subway system.

A few years back, my son and I did a maniacal one day, nostalgia trip in NYC! We grabbed Metro Cards and stopped at all the major places we visited during the past ten years! He did strange poses and I took over 500 photos! I couldn't do that in Boston. Not much in their town and could never do it in one day with their turtle-like T system.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
I lived and worked in NYC for thirteen years and grew up in it's suburbs. I live right outside Boston now (in an enclave surrounded by Boston), and spend a good deal of time in parts of Boston.

If you're accustomed to NYC and you like it, you probably won't be too crazy about Boston at first. It's small, windy, public transportation is arduous. People in Boston tend to hate NYers, so that's a stumbling block. And it's a sports crazy town, although I've heard reports that the craze is scaling down. You'll see more cars here with Yankees Suck bumper stickers.... It's weird. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl a few years ago some people were rioting and screaming "Yankees Suck. Again, weird.

And I wouldn't ever compare Boston to NYC-- like the poster above says, Boston is more comparable to Philadelphia. New York is a great international city. Boston is a great regional city. It's like me comparing myself to oh, let's say Padma Lakshmi. I'm not bad to look at on my own, but standing next to her, I'd look like a funny little troll.

That said, Boston is much more affordable than NYC, access to recreation is much easier, you're not trapped by the city, New England is a beautiful place to explore. And Boston does grow on you after a while--you can save money on clothes because fashion isn't a high priority here, friends, while not so easy to make, are really easy to keep, and there are a lot of fun things to do around here, in the city, in the suburbs, and in the country. My kids love their lives here and are proud to say they're from Boston (yes, there is a fierce Boston pride here)!

So I'll finish with my Padma Lakshmi simile (Padma = NYC, me, middle aged housewife = Boston)--while Padma's much more gorgeous than I am, she's also much higher maintenance (the stylists! The make-up artists! The celebrity friends!). I'm much more approachable and comfy and wear sensible shoes.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM

37 posts, read 204,264 times
NYC no question ... while Boston has some nice parts and some great history ... nyc has much more and the culture here is 10x better!!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Isn't it curious that someone would start a thread like this in the New York City forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City