Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times

Advertisements

There's also a Home Depot on Third Avenue and 58th Street.

But we have something BETTER than Whole Foods: we have the Union Square Greenmarket. Four or five days a week it's bustling with produce literally fresh from the farm, poultry, eggs, dairy products - you name it - all sold by the people who produce it.

And if you've never been to Fairway (the 74th St. store is just a stone's throw from Zabar's), that, too is WONDERFUL.

We do very well without all the big box stores, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:12 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
The Manhattan Mall is not doing so hot right? I haven't been inside there in ages but last time I strolled by it seemed like a lot of the stores had closed down.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitoNY View Post
I'm kind a shocked that it's hard to find a bike or scooter parking space that is so weird to me, I love to walk so that wouldn't be a problem.
You would probably really like San Fran. Its extremely bike/non-car friendly.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I'm only kidding,lol
I'm not exactly sure about unnatural ducks probably anywhere LOL, but the Whole Foods Natural duck supposedly cannot contain any artificial flavor or flavoring, coloring ingredient, chemical preservative or any other artificial or synthetic ingredient. It was also fed some special diet or something, I know it took a whooping 4 to 8 hours to cook and although a huge bird it wasn't very much meat. But it was well worth it, and the meat is soooo delicious and taste better than chicken and turkey it's a strong rich flavor very good!!.
Yeah duck is mostly fat.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:53 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,213 times
No Walmart in city limits. That is probably why the massive line at the Walmart on LI actually killed a person. Our 2008 society's love for their mass production goods and desire to stuff the pockets of the hillbilly Walton family cut someone's life short. That is pathetic.

If you would love to live in an area that has that stuff, move to any strip mall infested town somewhere between Pennsylvania, California, and Florida. Park your car in a sea of Escalades and Ford Explorers and make your way to the giant box and spend 5 hours as one of the zombie customers. Or you can move to times square and eat more olive garden and drink more starbucks mochafrappacrappachinos than you can shake a stick at.

Quote:
Whole Foods, Food Supermarket Chains, Best buy/Circuit (Electronic Stores), Home Depot & Strip malls and stuff like that in Manhattan? I would love to live in a area that has theses, or in close vicinity. If so which area?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
do people ride scooters or bikes to get around in NY or just take the Subway?
Recently, the Department of Transportation took out the parking meters outside the Bedford Avenue station on the L line (Greenpoint, Brooklyn) and installed bike racks. This is the first time in the city that bikes have been given precedence over cars. With a little luck, this practice will start spreading through all five boroughs!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:53 AM

16 posts, read 127,468 times
Yeah, I live in Queens and there are 2 Targets and 2 Best Buys in the area(Queens Center on Queens Blvd. and Green Acres mall in Valley Stream,L.I.) There is also a Wal-mart on L.I. too where that poor man got trampled(R.I.P.). But both of these shopping outlets have various stores,these are just a few

Old 12-06-2008, 05:46 PM

67 posts, read 225,840 times
There are box stores around, but in all honesty, those stores - to my understanding - came about to serve customers in rural/suburban areas. Because it was so difficult for people in non-urban areas to drive to multiple stores to get what they needed, 'superstores' gradually developed to ease the strain. They made it easier to shop by placing many different types of products in one place (food, clothing, electronics, etc)

In a city such as New York, the shopping experience is much different. Many of us live in an area where our basic shopping needs are within walking distance, and those that aren't are only a short distance away (obtainable either by a longer walk, public transport, bicycle, etc).

The benefit of this is that we have a great variety of shops to choose from. For example, in my neighborhood there are 3 movie rental shops. One carries independent movies, another has a great documentary selection, etc. If I lived in a place that was only serviced by Blockbuster, I would be at the mercy of their decisions. If they decided they didn't want to carry, say, Disney movies anymore, I would be out of luck.

So, many of us are protective of our shopping choices and fearful of the box stores moving in and pushing smaller non-chain shops out business (and in the longer term: out of the city). This may explain some of the reactions you are getting to your post.

That being said, box stores can be a fun novelty and may be attractive even to life long city dwellers. So yes, there are some around. Yes, they do attract shoppers. And yes, they might even be cheaper than the local shops.

But many of us would encourage newcomers to the city to take a look around before heading off to Target...you might just find something totally unique, surprising and wonderful in your own new neighborhood that you never would at the box store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City