Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Another BIG problem I have with MTA management is that during the real-estate boom they were collecting huge amounts of revenue from mortgage recording taxes. Where did that money go? Why didn't they save it for a rainy day like the city did?
Because like you said, it is "public-sector economics and management", do you really expect anything better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Default Put your hands up!

<-clickable guy.

Go ahead and click it......u know u wanna do it.
Knock yourself out.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Throw your hands in the air and wave them like you just don't care.
:confused
:crying

Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Why the heck to you keep reviving threads from 2008?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM

I dunno.....
Sometimes I think I find a CD gem that warrants re-reading.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Well, if the city ran the bridges like a business; they'd set the tolls at whatever the market would bear; or rather whatever maximizes revenue.

If you don't think being able to drive into Manhattan is a public good, then the city should raise the tolls to maximize revenue and use the money to invest in the city or lower taxes.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is as simple as basic mismanagement and lack of accountability. In order to maintain the huge bureacracy and outragous Union benefits, salaries and protections, you gotta keep feeding the pig. It will continue to suck up more and more money and just get fatter and lazier...like the pig. Now where else have we seen this..oh right..the public schools, housing, and every other government institution. Until they put the pig on a diet (i.e. cut the fat), the MTA will add more tolls everywhere, fees, surcharges, weight/height restrictions, maximum distance restrictions, "congestion pricing" for peak times on the train, etc...the insanity will get much worse very soon...just wait.

LOL since this thread was revived I just had to point out the fact that this doomsday prophecy was about 3 years ago and not that much has changed^^^

Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Driving in NYC is a luxury. It's not unreasonable to increase the fees to be able to drive around the city.

Plus, driving is ecologically unsound. Anything that increases the use of envrionmentally sound means of transport is reasonable.
You do realize that some of us have to carry equipment to carry out our jobs on a daily basis. I spend over 400 a month in tolls/gas driving from Bayside to NJ. Maybe people who commute to work by subway to their office job should pay more out of pocket for expense instead of relying on my tolls...

What I do think needs to happen is a ban of SUV's within highly congested areas and especially in Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well, if the city ran the bridges like a business; they'd set the tolls at whatever the market would bear; or rather whatever maximizes revenue.

If you don't think being able to drive into Manhattan is a public good, then the city should raise the tolls to maximize revenue and use the money to invest in the city or lower taxes.
The thing is the city should not be run like a business... a government should exist to provide services at an equal cost to operating expenses plus for future PLANNED and publicly announced projects. Not to gain a budget and then buy random things with it.

Running the government like a business now just leads to ridiculous projects and inflated salaries with huge pensions.

edit--

im an idiot for responding to an old revived thread, nevermind my rants.

Last edited by cee4; 03-11-2011 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: