Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times

Advertisements

I recently read and heard on the news that some huge percentage of all delays in airports all over the country can be traced back to the three NYC airports, meaning the delay originated from Newark, JFK, and Laguardia.

Why is this and why cant they fix the problem, is it just the amount of people that travel through the airports daily?? Airports like Atlanta I would think have just as many flights a day, but run much more smoothly, why is that do you think?? I am dreading flying home for Christmas b/c I know there is at least a 50% I will be delayed both flying out and coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 AM

2 out of 3 delays in the country traced back to NYC, crazy

Old 12-05-2008, 01:23 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default complex airspace

It has to do with the airspace. Here we have 3 major commercial airports within a 30 mile range. Within 100 miles we have White Plains, Philly, Atlantic City, Stewart, New Haven, Islip, Farmingdale, Teterboro and McGuire AB. So much traffic in a small area. ATL does not have a major airport within 300 miles of it. Lots of room to vector traffic. The traffic around EWR/LGA/JFK has to be vectored in narrow multi-layered corridors and when bad weather chokes those corridors traffic comes to a halt. The whiners complaining about noise do not help either and encourage inefficient use of the airspace.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:45 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The whiners complaining about noise do not help either and encourage inefficient use of the airspace.
How close to an airport do you live? Because if it's close enough, you should know better than to call them whiners.

I'm with you on the airspace question, though. I know that the airline industry uses "hub" system, whereby the majority of traffic is funneled through a relatively small number of hub cities. Perhaps they should be thinking about either revising that system, or establishing a few more hubs in the Northeast.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default live near an Airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
How close to an airport do you live? Because if it's close enough, you should know better than to call them whiners.

I'm with you on the airspace question, though. I know that the airline industry uses "hub" system, whereby the majority of traffic is funneled through a relatively small number of hub cities. Perhaps they should be thinking about either revising that system, or establishing a few more hubs in the Northeast.
Close to an airport? Forgaddaboutit for years and years I used to live right under the LGA runway 13 departures plus the LGA runway 31 expressway visual approach and 2 blocks from flushing airport. This was a time when power blasters like the 737-200, the DC-9 and the 727 ruled the skies. Not the stage III whisper jets of today. These classic airliners were low and loud ear splitters. If the airliners taking off at LGA didn't rattle your ear drums we had the piston engine sky writers passing over on short final for Flushing airport at about 200 feet, I hope you like your martini shaken not stirred when those things are overhead.

After a while you get used to it. For more action I used to ride my bike to Elmhurst and stand right in front of the fence by 82 street and watch the planes landing at LGA runway 4 about 50 feet over my head. If some kid did that today he would be on the 11PM news as a possible terrorist.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I've never understood this... People know where the airport is when they move in. I lived in Valley Stream for a while... About 4 miles from the end of a runway at Kennedy.. But I knew that when I moved in.. and honestly.. after about a day, I didn't hear the planes.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I've never understood this... People know where the airport is when they move in. I lived in Valley Stream for a while... About 4 miles from the end of a runway at Kennedy.. But I knew that when I moved in.. and honestly.. after about a day, I didn't hear the planes.
i live in rockaway, the planes dont bother me at all. i do remember once when i was little we were at recess in school and the sound from that concorde sst brought everybody to their knees.....i've have never experienced noise like that until that plane flew over the schoolyard.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM

at newark right now and it is dumping snow, wonder how long my flight will be delayed, anyone care to guess, i bet at least 3 hours

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

I lived in East Elmhurst/Astoria, about ten blocks from LaGuardia on 81st Street, and I never was bothered at all by the airport traffic...

I kinda' miss the smell of airplane fuel, though!!!!--It's addictive!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City