Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 PM

61 posts, read 233,501 times

Advertisements

In the same spirit as the "Things you forgot to ask" thread, does anyone have any advice, anecdotes, horror stories about things to do (or not to do) after you've already gotten your apartment?

I've just signed the lease on a little studio in the W.Village, and honestly I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I've lived in NY my whole life, (born in Brooklyn, raised in Long Island, High School in Staten Island) but aside from the first 4 years in Brooklyn, (and Army Barracks) I've never lived in an apartment.

Should I be calling the super to introduce myself...their is electricity in the unit, but I imagine I have to call con-ed...

..anything like that yous would like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,077 times
Congratulations on your apartment!

Going to see the super would be a good start, calling con ed/cable, etc. Other than that I can't think of anything.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desco View Post
In the same spirit as the "Things you forgot to ask" thread, does anyone have any advice, anecdotes, horror stories about things to do (or not to do) after you've already gotten your apartment?

I've just signed the lease on a little studio in the W.Village, and honestly I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I've lived in NY my whole life, (born in Brooklyn, raised in Long Island, High School in Staten Island) but aside from the first 4 years in Brooklyn, (and Army Barracks) I've never lived in an apartment.

Should I be calling the super to introduce myself...their is electricity in the unit, but I imagine I have to call con-ed...

..anything like that yous would like to share?
absolutely know the super well....he'll be an important person in your life. call/introduce yourself, find out what the key policy is, electricity situation, any existing cable providers for the building, hours of maintenance crew for the repairs, etc., that we all need from time to time.

and oh, since the holidays are upon us, you might wanna bring along a bottle of someting while you introduce yourself.

enjoy the new digs!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,528 times
If wood floors, do they need to be sanded/refinished? You'll never be able to have this done once you move all your stuff in. Does the place need a paint job? Much easier to do before you move in. It's tradition that places get painted before a new tenant moves in, but standard leases don't require it. That's all I can think of off-hand other than con ed and cable. One more thing--a good relationship with the super can make all the difference. If he does some service for you in getting you moved in, tip him (depending on what he does).

And congratulations...

Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Make sure your bank knows where you're living now....and get new checks, so that they reflect this address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City