Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 AM

18 posts, read 36,869 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiance and I are going to NY next weekend. I was wondering if anyone could help with recommmendations of hotels and places to go out. We realize it will be expensive. We are lookign for a hotel that is near the nightlife. What hotels or streets should we stay near if we want to be near the center of everything and in a safe negiborhood where we can go out at night?

Any recommendations on places to go out? local bars? clubs? restaurants to eat? I know we want to visit the carneige deli for lunch.

Please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Sure,
First we need to know your budget? How much you are going to spend per night?
Hmmm, I was in carneige deli last week.
Here is a picture...

Old 12-06-2008, 09:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Mmmm, a pastrami sandwich from Carnegie deli...

I recommend going there. Don't go in expecting you'll eat the whole sandwich though. 2 people could share one sandwich.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Mmmm, a pastrami sandwich from Carnegie deli...

I recommend going there. Don't go in expecting you'll eat the whole sandwich though. 2 people could share one sandwich.
Yes, they are big..
and pastrami is my fav. but again,, dont say bad things, I eat mine completely(I was hungry) .
but a lot of people order one for 2,

Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 AM

96 posts, read 236,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyS33 View Post
Hello,

My fiance and I are going to NY next weekend. I was wondering if anyone could help with recommmendations of hotels and places to go out. We realize it will be expensive. We are lookign for a hotel that is near the nightlife. What hotels or streets should we stay near if we want to be near the center of everything and in a safe negiborhood where we can go out at night?

Any recommendations on places to go out? local bars? clubs? restaurants to eat? I know we want to visit the carneige deli for lunch.

Please help?
Manhattan is diverse and has something for everyone. "Nightlife" for one couple could mean the theater (which Carnegie Deli would put you close to as well as Columbus Circle, but I wouldn't eat there before the theater if staying at the Mandarin Oriental) and something entirely different for another, budget aside. (Plan to spend money regardless.) Some people would prefer Katz Deli on the lower East side thinking it's more of an authentic deli. I think you get the picture.

Take a look at TimeOut... you'll find lots to see, eat, and do.
NYC Events, Activities & Things to Do - Time Out New York

To navigate the subways try HopStop.com - Subway Directions and Bus Directions for New York City (NYC) and MTA Home Page . Or just walk... I love walking in Manhattan... except this time of year brrrrrrrrrr!

Enjoy.

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
In terms of a hotel, I would definitely search by Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, etc. as opposed to settling on one particular hotel. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a hotel for which you would otherwise pay full rate if you called the reservations line or dealt directly with their website. You can also get a deal by calling the individual hotel's reservations department as they generally know their occupancy better than the call center at the 800 number.

There are many great areas to consider, depending upon what you are seeking. If you want someplace that's a little more hip, you might look to Lower Manhattan. Midtown offers conveniences as do the Upper East and Upper West Sides, but much depends upon what you want to do. I would recommend considering Midtown, since you're not terribly far from multiple transportation options, either east or west side.

You could stay near Times Square, Central Park, the river in a boutique hotel or a giant, full service property. It all depends upon what you want and the price range. Generally, you can find a good selection of hotels in the $250-$500 price range per night, some are discounted via web offers as well, that are in safe, reasonable areas. And, some vary in price within the chain as the Ritz Carlton in Lower Manhattan (Battery Park) runs about half the rate of the one close to Central Park, primarily because of location as Lower Manhattan requires a trek uptown for many attractions.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 AM

I always stay at Marriott Marquis, is right in the middle of Times Square. The location is great in the middle of manhattan. And the Rest The View is one of my fav.
Is where usually my family stay when they are visiting.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:03 AM

91 posts, read 428,546 times
I'll be there the following weekend. I was a little flexible and I found a cheapie room at the Hotel Alexander in UWS. Since I am staying Sat and Sun night instead of Fri and Sat, I got a sick deal. I am paying under $200 for the total stay which is insane. At that price I don't mind that I have to share a bathroom. Whenever I visit I am only in my room to sleep anyway. The rest of the time I am out sightseeing, eating out, going to shows, and bar hopping. Some reviewers didn't like the hotel but at that price I don't care if a room is small or whatever. Most reviews were positive and called it totally good for the money.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 AM

91 posts, read 428,546 times
Oh, also be on the lookout for Santacon. Nothing like running into thousands of publicly intoxicated Santas singing naughty carols. They don't announce the location until the day of but be warned

SantaCon NYC

I've never done Santacon in NYC but the DC one is always a good time. I can imagine the NYC one is even bigger.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
And, please: it's ManhattAn, with NO 'e's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City