U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 06:17 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,404,174 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some genealogy research and need to determine what "section" of Brooklyn a particular address falls into (whether it's considered Flatbush or Flatlands or Brooklyn Heights or Brooklyn "proper", etc). The area of Brooklyn that the address is in, determines which of several different archives may contain my ancestor's death record from 1852.

The address in question is either 225 Fulton Street, or 255 Fulton Street (I have it given both ways on two different documents). But since the numbers are so close, I'm assuming that both numbers are going to be in the same "section" of Brooklyn.... whichever section that is.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM

91 posts, read 415,395 times
On google maps it shows Fulton starting around 300. In the 200's it seems to be called Joralemon St.

255 fulton street brooklyn - Google Maps

Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
On google maps it shows Fulton starting around 300. In the 200's it seems to be called Joralemon St.
Hm, so I guess during the 1850s the 200 house numbers were still "Fulton Street" and Joralemon was a later rename of that part of the street.

Do you happen to know what section of Brooklyn the present-day 225 or 255 Joralemon Street would be considered? Is it Flatbush? or some other named part of Brooklyn?

I'm hoping that the boundaries of the Brooklyn "sections" haven't changed over the years even if some of the street names have done so...

Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,366,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Do you happen to know what section of Brooklyn the present-day 225 or 255 Joralemon Street would be considered?
Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM

283 posts, read 1,040,061 times
Someone slightly better versed in Brooklyn history might be able to confirm this for me, but I think that Fulton Street used to be routed differently in Downtown Brooklyn. I was under the impression that the Fulton Ferry Landing was located where Fulton Street used to begin, near the Brooklyn Bridge.

If you look on a map (this one, for instance) you'll see that near the ferry landing, there is an "Old Fulton Street" that runs for several blocks, skirting the base of the Brooklyn Bridge and leading into Downtown Brooklyn. I imagine this used to connect with the modern-day Fulton Street.

Google Maps doesn't show there being a 225 or 255 Old Fulton Street. It may be that what used to be called 225 or 255 Fulton Street either has been demolished, or, possibly, has just had its street number changed but is still located on Old Fulton Street, near the Brooklyn Bridge. Frankly, I'd imagine it's the former. I'm not familiar with the history of the Cadman Plaza area (which you can see on any map, a big park area right off the bridge), but it may well have been built in the late 19th century. If that's the case, there's a good chance whatever stood on that stretch of the former Fulton Street was razed to make room for it.

In any event, yes, it would have been either in Downtown Brooklyn or, possibly Brooklyn Heights. It is completely possible that neighborhood boundaries have changed somewhat since the 1850s, though. I think Vinegar Hill used to be considered bigger; maybe it went that far west.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 AM

877 posts, read 2,684,909 times
Like 009 stated it would be considered Downtown Brooklyn. It is not Flatbush and I believe Brooklyn Heights would be on the other side of Court Street. The addresses that you listed would fall somewhere on Fulton Street between Adams Street and Pearl/Red Hook Lane (based on Yahoo Maps http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTEx...&gid2=11307988). You can view this map http://www.citimaps.com/brooklyn/map...yndowntown.PDF to view the area in more typical map fashion.

I don't know if it has historically been called Downtown Brooklyn but ever since I can remember that is how the neighborhood was referred to since it was not a residential area but the commercial center of Brooklyn.

If you can the best place to find out information would probably be the Brooklyn Historical Society. They should have maps or information on that area in whatever time period you need. Best of luck in your research.

Last edited by drkman; 12-09-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM

40,048 posts, read 33,170,381 times
Joralemon Street is in Brooklyn Heights. The address on Fulton would be considered more downtown Brooklyn.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,366,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Joralemon Street is in Brooklyn Heights.
Jorelemon with addresses in the 220s and higher(east of Court St.) is officially in Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks so much, everyone! Now I know to put in my request for a copy of the death certificate to the main NYC Vital Records Dept. rather than the archives that hold the Flatbush, Flatland, etc etc etc area records. I do appreciate the help, because if I sent the request to the wrong department I'd have completely wasted the $15 search/copy fee! Thanks again for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City