Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 02:50 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
I see. Not to rain on anybody's parade, but do you know how a lot of those "businesses" in places like Washington Hts. and the West Bronx work?
How? Drug Money? Well thats is what has been said by many. And how will you prove that. I guess the cops are not doing a good job if that is the case or the Dominicans really KNOW how to do business. Yeah, one can't forget how the Italians managed to do it back in the day.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Sha83 this is not a good statement to make in my opinion. This is what is causing the attacks on the thread. When a person is born and raised in a place they may look at their NY born and raised as being different.

The NY born and raised may travel back and forth between the 2 places and are very familiar with the differences as well as the similiarities.

The NY born Puerto Rican may travel to PR and be around people that share the same grandparents and other relatives, people that they look like and love. People that may be different in ways because of their immediate environment. This makes them no less Puerto Rican than the Puerto Rican relatives in PR. We should not go on with this type of discussion.
I will not monitor myself because feelings might get hurt. This is not my imagination, but the truth. You can't have it both ways. I doubt very many Irish or Italian-Americans born and raised here would get so emotional over this as some people are here. If people want to get heated and ridiculous,. let 'em.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
I see. Not to rain on anybody's parade, but do you know how a lot of those "businesses" in places like Washington Hts. and the West Bronx work?
Sha83 while I won't deny for a moment that exists, I would be careful to somehow insinuate the majority or a significant portion of Dominican-owned businesses are money laundering fronts or somehow related to the drug-trade. It's an unfair leap.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
My point is that you all keep referring to Puerto Ricans and Nuyoricans interechangably and argue points that make no sense. Different upbringinsg, different experiences = different outcomes. I don't know hat the attitude is for. If anything, maybe you need to look back on your posts and check yourself. If you were born in the Bronx or Brooklyn or New Jersey you are a Nuyorican or JerseyRican, not a Puerto Rican.
Seriously? Does that mean I'm not called "German" since I wasn't born there, and someone of Irish ethnicity is not considered in this country to be Irish? When I go to Europe I call myself "American", but here, when someone wants to know my background I call myself "German". Isn't it the same for Puerto Ricans or are they the only group that must now be called jerseyrican or nuyorican or what, alabamarican, chicagorican?

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times
Quote:
Of course it's not, but all I'm saying is this is what happends in history. Every new group gets this kind of treatment until they establish themselves. It was the Irish, then the Italians, the Puerto Ricans, then the Dominicans, and now the PRs and Dominicans do that to the Mexicans. The Mexicans in some areas do it to the Salvadorans and Guatemalans. Now it woudl be illegal to post those kinds of signs in public places and businesses, which is just a sign of the times, but don't think for a minute that this kind of thing doesn't happen in a more informal, less out-there manner.
I never say that there is no racism, bigots or that some of these groups don't hate each other these days. Read my original post again. But like I say there is no more of those demeaning signs, more open racism and so many racist beatings like it was before. Now days there is more consequences for those actions. So is highly discourage.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:03 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Lets not bring this to an Dominican vs PR thing...or PR versus anyone thing...lets keep it simple. I think there has been a great discussion thusfar...lets keep it that way. As far as their plights go my basic argument is this: the culture has relied too much on Mommy (Spain) since its inception for everything, and then handed over to its Step-Father (US) and relied on it for everything since that time. PR has never tasted independence, they were bred to be wholly dependent on mommy and daddy...and this culture pervaded every part of the society..and is just as strong today. The country would rather stay living under the umbrella of Dad, living at home with security, free rent, and comfort, rather than "growing up" and moving out....just like many people struggle to do. As a result, their reliance on outside parties, especially the US government, to solve their problems, is ultimately what led to many of the ills that they have and continue to suffer today. Until that culture and mentality changes, they will continue to struggle forever.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:08 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Lets not bring this to an Dominican vs PR thing...or PR versus anyone thing...lets keep it simple. I think there has been a great discussion thusfar...lets keep it that way. As far as their plights go my basic argument is this: the culture has relied too much on Mommy (Spain) since its inception for everything, and then handed over to its Step-Father (US) and relied on it for everything since that time. PR has never tasted independence, they were bred to be wholly dependent on mommy and daddy...and this culture pervaded every part of the society..and is just as strong today. The country would rather stay living under the umbrella of Dad, living at home with security, free rent, and comfort, rather than "growing up" and moving out....just like many people struggle to do. As a result, their reliance on outside parties, especially the US government, to solve their problems, is ultimately what led to many of the ills that they have and continue to suffer today. Until that culture and mentality changes, they will continue to struggle forever.
I agree to a limited extent, but how is that situation unique to Puerto Ricans? What is the reason for other major ethnic groups who are on welfare, like white people and black people?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Great information,,,
http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/ce...cio_05_nyc.pdf

Look at his numbers % of College graduates by each race/ethnic, all number are in NYC
35% of all New Yorkes have a college degree
Whites: 45% of all whites have a college degree
Asian: 32%
Blacks: 20%, meaning 20% of all black people in NYC have a college degree.
Hispanics: 14%, all hispanic combined.
Now it also give each one...
Hiatian: 23%
Colombian: 22.5
Ecuadorian: 12.5%
Dominicans: 12%
Puerto Rican(Nuyoricans): 11%, wow,
Mexicans: 9%

I guess the original post was right, except for Mexicans.
Every other group is doing better compared to Nuyorican.
I mean only 11% of Puerto Rican in NYC are educated, again the real question is not IF THEY ARE BELOW OTHERS, it is clear they are at the bottom, but why is the real questoin. Blacks are almost double are numbers in education.
I stand by what I have said all along..

Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM

More information from the same link...
Unemployment
Nuyoricans are the highest at almost 13%.
No other group is even near.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Median Income, Dominicans and Nuyoricans are the lowest 2,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City