Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,412,911 times

Advertisements

Yes and it is a result of them not taking the actions to GROW UP and not depend on the US for everything. I believe the only answer is independence of some sort...but they are so afraid as a society of being independent, it has been ingrained in them to fear that for over 500 years, and they have created their entire society around being dependent on Daddy. So until they grow the Mod cut, take a leap of faith, and work towards independence of some sort....they will continue to suffer on the Island forever and ever.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-11-2008 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate, not English

Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,084,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Great information,,,
http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/ce...cio_05_nyc.pdf

Look at his numbers % of College graduates by each race/ethnic, all number are in NYC
35% of all New Yorkes have a college degree
Whites: 45% of all whites have a college degree
Asian: 32%
Blacks: 20%, meaning 20% of all black people in NYC have a college degree.
Hispanics: 14%, all hispanic combined.
Now it also give each one...
Hiatian: 23%
Colombian: 22.5
Ecuadorian: 12.5%
Dominicans: 12%
Puerto Rican(Nuyoricans): 11%, wow,
Mexicans: 9%

I guess the original post was right, except for Mexicans.
Every other group is doing better compared to Nuyorican.
I mean only 11% of Puerto Rican in NYC are educated, again the real question is not IF THEY ARE BELOW OTHERS, it is clear they are at the bottom, but why is the real questoin. Blacks are almost double are numbers in education.
I stand by what I have said all along..
WOW, Dominicans are a WHOLE PERCENTAGE POINT higher for education than Puerto Ricans! Guess the OP WAS correct. What a gigantic difference!

As far as African-Americans, this city attracts a lot of transplants and I'm going to guarantee that the 20% college educated blacks, many of them did NOT grow up in this inner city. So get me a study of blacks who GREW UP in this city and I am sure the result will be identical the puerto ricans who grew up here. Sorry we couldn't go along with your extreme desire to prove how bad off NY PRs are compared to other minority groups..

Old 12-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Below poverty level, Dominicans and Nuyoricans are the highest, much higher compared to blacks and other groups.
Again, many many college educated blacks move here, many of whom are my friends, did NOT grow up here so you are again comparing apples to oranges.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
they are a shadow of what they were and not representative of anything other than the least capable of any group. If you isolate and segregate the bottom of any group...they will always come out at the bottom of all statistics...seems pretty obvious to me..then again..I lived the whole thing so I know what happened.
Well I hope you're not equating yourself with the "bottom" of the barrell of people left here..

And please realize this, in a capitalist system, there will ALWAYS be someone poor at the bottom. That's how it works. There must be a ceratin amount of unemployment for this capitalist system to work. I'm not against our system, but come on, dont act like it enables everyone to be middle class. If that were the case, ALL people who WORK would earn a LIVING WAGE. That is clearly not the case since the majority of the working poor work their 40 hours and then some and still can't get by.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,689,984 times
[quote=SobroGuy;6521668]Yes and it is a result of them not taking the actions to GROW UP and not depend on the US for everything. I believe the only answer is independence of some sort...but they are so afraid as a society of being independent, it has been ingrained in them to fear that for over 500 years, and they have created their entire society around being dependent on Daddy. So until they grow the Mod cut, take a leap of faith, and work towards independence of some sort....they will continue to suffer on the Island forever and ever.[/quote]

You didn't answer my question: besides symbolic reasons, why is independence good? What is wrong with being a commonwealth?

The overwhelming majority of Puerto Ricans do not support independence. I do not know a single Puerto Rico who supports it nor have I ever heard a good, non-symbolic argument about why independence would actually be a good thing. Maybe you can be the first person to impress me about this...

Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,504,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
WOW, Dominicans are a WHOLE PERCENTAGE POINT higher for education than Puerto Ricans! Guess the OP WAS correct. What a gigantic difference!

As far as African-Americans, this city attracts a lot of transplants and I'm going to guarantee that the 20% college educated blacks, many of them did NOT grow up in this inner city. So get me a study of blacks who GREW UP in this city and I am sure the result will be identical the puerto ricans who grew up here. Sorry we couldn't go along with your extreme desire to prove how bad off NY PRs are compared to other minority groups..
Just imagine they have been here for a lot less time, imagine in 20 years.
For how long have Nuyoricans been in NYC??
Please you are trying to find every little hole and everything,
The same can be said about Puerto Ricans, like me, from Puerto Rico and a doctor. So many of that little % of educated Puerto Rican come from the Island not natives new yorker.
Still you cant deny the numbers..
Nuyorican are at the bottom in almost everything, Dominicanos are higher have been in NYC less time... What excuse do they have to be at the bottom?

Last edited by cjma79; 12-11-2008 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Again, many many college educated blacks move here, many of whom are my friends, did NOT grow up here so you are again comparing apples to oranges.
Again, many many many many college educated latinos and Puerto Rican move here just like me, and my wife...
Also many other Resident are from Puerto Rico and I only know of one nuyorican resident in my wifes hospital. So the your argument doesnt make sence, it works both ways,
Soon you are also going to say that all the educated Nuyorican move out of NYC, so only black educated move in the city and nuyorican move out of the city.
So keeping in mind that maybe the same % of blacks and latinos move in to NYC, the numbers are still a reallity.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Well I hope you're not equating yourself with the "bottom" of the barrell of people left here..

And please realize this, in a capitalist system, there will ALWAYS be someone poor at the bottom. That's how it works. There must be a ceratin amount of unemployment for this capitalist system to work. I'm not against our system, but come on, dont act like it enables everyone to be middle class. If that were the case, ALL people who WORK would earn a LIVING WAGE. That is clearly not the case since the majority of the working poor work their 40 hours and then some and still can't get by.
The system is build in a way that everybody has the opportunity, some people dont get it, and other just dont care.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 PM

I would like to see where you get the idea that 50% of black educated are not New yorkers.
since they have 10% and we have 11%, that means that is double. You are saying that the difference is out of town black people. And you have numbers or data to prove this point?
And since the 11% also could be puerto ricans from puerto rico or other states, that would mean that only 5% of nuyoricans are educated?

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I would like to see where you get the idea that 50% of black educated are not New yorkers.
since they have 10% and we have 11%, that means that is double. You are saying that the difference is out of town black people. And you have numbers or data to prove this point?
And since the 11% also could be puerto ricans from puerto rico or other states, that would mean that only 5% of nuyoricans are educated?
Where did I ever say that 50% of black New Yorkers are transplants?? I said that out of the 20% of college educated blacks in NYC, I'll bet at least 7% are transplants. That would account for the 7 percentage point difference between blacks and Puerto Ricans as I am quite sure both ethnic groups are educationally on equal footing when they both originate in NY. That being because when they grow up in NYC, they grow up in similar poverty stricken environments with similar issues related to poverty. Hence why you get the outcome that you see here. And if you go to any trailor park in the country, you will find the same exact outome of low education and poverty; only difference is those people will be white rather than black or PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City