Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,948 times

Advertisements

Please dont misrepresent what I said. I meant non-hispanic whites, which is a term falling within a social construct made up by Europeans to distinguish themselves from others and at at times to feel superior to others, as you Moderator cut: seem intent upon doing. IMO, we all originated in Africa and only tribed off after the fact.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-11-2008 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text

Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM

537 posts, read 456,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Glad you joined the thread .

Do you spend a lot of time around Puerto Ricans? Because if you did you would know the only African-Americans they hang out with are dark skinned Puerto Ricans. I have a feeling you think cuz they have the hip hop style they identify with blacks. Ever go to prison? Well neither have I LOL but trust me when I tell you they hang out totally separately, as they do in their every day lives. They literally have almost NOTHING to do with each other in their everyday lives. But they do know that white people tend to look at the two groups as one in terms of being a minority that is not white, all grouped as one in that respect.

Yes, that is the unfortunate part. Much of the problem in society is a combination of bigotry and ignorance. There are many beautiful, wonderful white people. Yet, there are also those who consider the so-called "minorities" inferior. No matter how white I may appear, as soon as certain non-latino white people hear me speak Spanish, I am clearly not "one of them". There is often a disdain among some white people toward those who speak Spanish.

But your example also holds true, insofar as how some white people tend to group together those to whom you refer. But my reference to the African-American identification thing is more as it relates to "Nuyoricans". Again, this can't be at all taken as a blanket statement. But there has been a sense of commonality between the two to a pretty good extent, particularly as it relates to street culture.

Is this necessarily a bad thing? No, not necessarily. But it is probably a point of contention among those who feel that Nuyoricans may have left their "first love".

It clearly wouldn't be fair to indict all Nuyoricans in this way, just as it would be irresponsible to say that all Nuyoricans are the way in which the stereotype is depicted.

It is probably due to their common experiences in society that many Nuyoricans have gravitated toward African-Americans. And this doesn't have to be a bad thing. But many boricuas will maintain that they are misplacing this identification, and should not appear to be a mirror image of African-Americans, but should be "latinos, primero".

Last edited by JAA2310; 12-11-2008 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I am orginally from New York and I have never seen a Puerto Rican that racially looks like this.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._blond_man.jpg
Then I guess you have to go to Puerto Rico... because we do have people like that.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Actually I'm not sure anyone really cares, nor would it be ethical to post pics without the people's permission (which I would not give if I was them). What is the fascination with what "race" (being a man-made construct to classify and demean) someone else is? Apparently from DNA evidence, the majority of Puerto Ricans have 53% European ethnicity, 27% African and 17% Native American. Out of that majority, there are those born in Puerto Rico who have almost full European blood. Especially considering that Europeans (the Spaniards, who yes, are indeed European) continued to immigrate to PR very late in the game. Again, I wonder why this matters so much to you though. I find the mixing of the "races" a beautiful quality of many Puerto Ricans.
The last big wave coming from Spain was durring the Civil War of Spain, My grandparents come durring that time.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 PM

So now with all the data, and evidence, can we all agree that Nuyorican for some reason or another are doing worse compared to other groups, and actually doing worse compared to others Puerto Ricans in other cities.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
cjma 79 properly stated that he didn't hate the Nuyorican people, just the stereotype. We all know that no one people is all one way. There are wonderful, respectable people that are both boricua and Nuyorican. And the same can be said for the not so respectable people.
And I dont , their is a difference between the people and the stereotype.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:32 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
So now with all the data, and evidence, can we all agree that Nuyorican for some reason or another are doing worse compared to other groups, and actually doing worse compared to others Puerto Ricans in other cities.
Compared to what cities and what people? I know Latinos from both Coasts.Some are just getting by,some doing well,some are Ballin, some are poor as hell. Out in LA, there's Black, Mexican, and Salvadorian neighborhoods you would not step one foot into. Same ghettos as in NYC and NJ. So, I dont know who's doing better than who? I dont see how your saying Nuyoricans are doing worse compared to other ethnic groups in the US. Travel a little bit man, check out some other cities. So unfortunately No, I dont buy what your saying.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:39 AM

[quote=JAA2310;6526101]But your example also holds true, insofar as how some white people tend to group together those to whom you refer. But my reference to the African-American identification thing is more as it relates to "Nuyoricans". Again, this can't be at all taken as a blanket statement. But there has been a sense of commonality between the two to a pretty good extent, particularly as it relates to street culture./quote]

Again, I ask if you have spent a lot of time around the people you discuss. Since they live in the same areas very often, and dress similarly to almost identical in some cases, and the young kids listen to the same music (by the time a Nuyorican makes it into their 30s they are starting to get very into salsa, and less into hip hop), they do NOT hang out together. This is just plain fact and there is honestly no ability to argue against that. As a white outsider looking in, I have spent decades hanging out exclusively with each group and when I hung out with black people we NEVER came in contact with Puerto Ricans, except as strangers bumping in in the hood, and hanging out with PR they NEVER hang out with blacks unless the black person is of Puerto Rican descent, in which event it is totally normal because this is not about race but about cultural background. There is simply no debating this fact. But again, white people or transplants see some brown skin and baggy jeans and gold chains and they think they're all one homogenous group. Quite the opposite in fact.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:12 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Nuyoricans living in the same hoods or projects get along very well with blacks. I was on the LES a year ago, and I saw what seemed to be many mixed black and NR people. The difference with NR and other hispanic groups such as Dominicans and Mexicans, is that the last two would not associate with blacks whatsoever. Some of this has to do with the language barrier, as NR and blacks speak english and many DR and Mex dont.

Now, I have personally known many NR that hate blacks. And these are usually the ones who are not involved in the ghetto lifestyle and also that speak spanish.

So you can't really say they all get along with blacks or that they dont get along with them.

One thing is true that NR relationship with blacks is MUCH better than other hispanics.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Nuyoricans living in the same hoods or projects get along very well with blacks. I was on the LES a year ago, and I saw what seemed to be many mixed black and NR people. The difference with NR and other hispanic groups such as Dominicans and Mexicans, is that the last two would not associate with blacks whatsoever. Some of this has to do with the language barrier, as NR and blacks speak english and many DR and Mex dont.

Now, I have personally known many NR that hate blacks. And these are usually the ones who are not involved in the ghetto lifestyle and also that speak spanish.

So you can't really say they all get along with blacks or that they dont get along with them.

One thing is true that NR relationship with blacks is MUCH better than other hispanics.
Supermario, read my response to you a few pages back. You apparently do not hang out with NRs at all so you obviously see something in the street and get an incorrect impression.

Yeah, and to you it seems OK that Mexicans somehow feel superior to blacks? Just as unacceptable as the racism towards them, though at least considering that tons of Mexicans are here illegally and taking non union jobs under the table, I can see why PRs feel resentment toward this CHEAP LABOR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City