Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Do you ask all blonde, blue-eyed people if they are Puerto Rican? You can't always tell who is Hispanic and who isn't by looking. Most Puerto Ricans here are racially mixed and darker then many who live on the island because their low economic status has caused a need for them to migrate to the continental US.

This can be said of most Hispanic nationalities as Latin American nations are for the most part racially mixed nations. If you look at Colombians in Jackson Hts. or Mexicans in the South Bronx or Corona, you'd think all were mestizo/Indian-looking. In reality, therea re tons of very White Mexicans and tons of White, Black, and mulatto Colombians.
Many have the erroneous impression of the racial composition of Latin American countries precisely for the reasons you mentioned. Indeed, many non-Puerto Rican visitors to the island whom I know personally were surprised to see so many white, blonde, blue-eyed Puerto Ricans there. The same can be said of Central and South American countries.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I won't Moderator cut: post a picture but Puerto Ricans that are blonde exist. That's like saying all Italians are olive skinned with dark hair because all the ones you see here in New York predominately look like that.

If people that look like Benicio del Toro and Ricky Martin exist why wouldn't someone who's even lighter than them. Give me a break dude.
Esooo. Thank you, NooYowker!

Get this folks and repeat it with me: HISPANIC IS NOT A RACE. HISPANICS CAN BE OF ANY RACE. If you think that Hispanic is a race, I'll forward you some pictures of my family and friends in Colombia and you'll see blonde and red-haired, tall Whites with green-eyes, Indian-looking people, Italian-looking folks, mestizos, mulattos, and other phenotypes. This goes for most Latin American countries (depending on whether it is more African or Indian in heritage).

Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This poster is just not aware of who he interacts with...I guarantee he has seen and interacted with plenty of Hispanics in NYC and just never knew it because they don't fit the stereotype..but really..who cares...
I agree with you, but this type of people(Jeff) represent a large group in NYC, especially in the white Manhattan people that think all latinos are working on Rest. cleaning tables.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,225 times
[quote=SuperMario;6525375]I have strong opinions about Nuyoricans. I will try not making this into a PR/DR debate but from personal experience, Nuyoricans are very arrogant people. They view ALL other hispanic groups as inferior. Which is why you do not see Nuyoricans with anything other than Nuyoricans or blacks. Sometimes you see them with Dominicans. but this wasn't always the case. Dominicans can be seen with Mexicans, Columbians, and Ecuadorians. It seems that the newer generation hispanics seem to resent Puerto Ricans. I personally asked my South American friends, their opinions about Nuyoricans and they all replied similarly. quote]

I strongly disgaree. When you speak Spanish, you get different sides of things you wouldn't otherwise. There is racism on on sides. Living in the Bronx, I have friends who are both PR and Dominican. Seems when the Dominicans leave, the PRs rag on them. When the Dominicans rag on the PRs...and all of them rag on the Mexicans.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Supermario, read my response to you a few pages back. You apparently do not hang out with NRs at all so you obviously see something in the street and get an incorrect impression.

Yeah, and to you it seems OK that Mexicans somehow feel superior to blacks? Just as unacceptable as the racism towards them, though at least considering that tons of Mexicans are here illegally and taking non union jobs under the table, I can see why PRs feel resentment toward this CHEAP LABOR.
I've probably been around more Nuyoricans than you. You forget that I live in the Bronx. I been to every NR hood and Bronx projects imaginable.And take it from me, they do hang out and look out for each other. This is from my experience. Where is it that you live? the UWS? Cause maybe there you see what you're talking about.

Tell you what. Go to the Soundview houses and tell me who do you see hanging out together. Now walk a couple of blocks away towards Elder ave, and tell me what group seemed to be isolated and by themselves.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
Yes Sha83...SuperWario seems to be elevating the hood culture into anything other than hood culture...this group hating that group..blah blah blah..that has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with the ghetto subculture...so leave it at that. The reality is the only animosity by anyone is by those who are poorly educated and angry at everything and everybody....period. And yes..Hispanic is not a race it is a culture, however there are general attributes that define each group...the 10% of whites and 10% of blacks in PR, for example, is not representative of the sgroup, but the exception, with the majority of the population falling into a bell curve of phenotypes between the two.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I sort of agree with you, what you described definitely happens, primarily amongst first generations. But your neglecting that 2nd generation or more Dominicans born here tend to socialize with Blacks. There is no language barrier. I see groups of kids on the train in the morning all the time. NR's, Blacks, Dominicans, all in the same group. Of course cultural beefs exist but there is a lot of socializing also.

Plus I've seen several cases of dark-skinned Dominicans who pretty much almost exclusively have Black friends, and live the average lifestyle of a Black male in urban NYC. It happens.
I haven't seen many Dominicans that hang out with blacks. Very few. But I know of many Nuyoricans who do, white or black.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Esooo. Thank you, NooYowker!

Get this folks and repeat it with me: HISPANIC IS NOT A RACE. HISPANICS CAN BE OF ANY RACE. If you think that Hispanic is a race, I'll forward you some pictures of my family and friends in Colombia and you'll see blonde and red-haired, tall Whites with green-eyes, Indian-looking people, Italian-looking folks, mestizos, mulattos, and other phenotypes. This goes for most Latin American countries (depending on whether it is more African or Indian in heritage).
No problem. I think that Moderator cut: idea was quickly dispatched anyway.

BTW, I've been to Bogota so I can partially confirm that.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-12-2008 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM

[quote=Sha83;6533046]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I have strong opinions about Nuyoricans. I will try not making this into a PR/DR debate but from personal experience, Nuyoricans are very arrogant people. They view ALL other hispanic groups as inferior. Which is why you do not see Nuyoricans with anything other than Nuyoricans or blacks. Sometimes you see them with Dominicans. but this wasn't always the case. Dominicans can be seen with Mexicans, Columbians, and Ecuadorians. It seems that the newer generation hispanics seem to resent Puerto Ricans. I personally asked my South American friends, their opinions about Nuyoricans and they all replied similarly. quote]

I strongly disgaree. When you speak Spanish, you get different sides of things you wouldn't otherwise. There is racism on on sides. Living in the Bronx, I have friends who are both PR and Dominican. Seems when the Dominicans leave, the PRs rag on them. When the Dominicans rag on the PRs...and all of them rag on the Mexicans.
Yeah everybody is a little rascist but the NR are the worst of the bunch. Because others will also say disrespectful things, but many of the other hispanics say it in a joking manner. NR actually think that they are above everyone else, so when they start disrespecting others, it's full of spite.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,772 times
I think they is getting a little off topic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City