Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,399 times

Advertisements

I am writing a novel that takes place in the mid-60's. My female protagonist has been in (then) Tanganyika for some time before moving back to the states. She lacks money, is white, and has two black children (it's a long story how that came about!). She has a job as a French-English translator for a fictional publishing house. Where might she plausibly live? She needs a pretty cheap place either close to the publisher (were they mostly in Manhattan?) or easily reached by bus or subway. Remember, it's 1965. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Most of the publishing industry was, indeed, centered in Manhattan for a long time. In 1965, let me see...your protagonist might well have been living in the East Village. Perhaps even Chelsea. Neither of those neighborhoods had much of a reputation in the 60s (or perhaps I should put it this way: their reputations weren't all that good!) and they would've been fairly cheap. Now that I think about it, you could also add the Lower East Side to that list.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default I lived in Chelsea in the 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimbird View Post
I am writing a novel that takes place in the mid-60's. My female protagonist has been in (then) Tanganyika for some time before moving back to the states. She lacks money, is white, and has two black children (it's a long story how that came about!). She has a job as a French-English translator for a fictional publishing house. Where might she plausibly live? She needs a pretty cheap place either close to the publisher (were they mostly in Manhattan?) or easily reached by bus or subway. Remember, it's 1965. Thanks for your input.
Chelsea was a very Hispanic area back then. I think the East Village would have been better suited. Cheaper than the West Village, a little more run down back then, but this was the era of the hippies and the East Village was more avant garde back then. It was a diverse place, in very many ways, and your protagonist would have been at home there.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Now that I think about it, the Upper West Side would've been a good choice, too. It wasn't nearly as fancy 40 years ago as it is today. In fact, it was even slightly undesirable! Difficult to imagine these days, but perfectly true.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Now that I think about it, the Upper West Side would've been a good choice, too. It wasn't nearly as fancy 40 years ago as it is today. In fact, it was even slightly undesirable! Difficult to imagine these days, but perfectly true.
HMMM...I grew up there, 40 years ago I would have been a 9-year-old. I wouldn't say it was slightly undesirable unless you are talking about very specific blocks, like where the notorious SRO (Single Room Occupancy) hotels were, or the projects, or some not-so-great tenements. Central Park West was very desirable and upscale, and Riverside Drive and West End Ave were mostly very nice. It was a lot cheaper than today, even taking inflation into consideration. I think the Upper West Side would fit the bill, except the upscale part like CPW.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:54 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,354 times
Too late to edit my post so I'll add: The truth is despite having grown up here, I really can't answer the question, as I would have been 6 years old in 1965, and not in a position to understand where your fictional family would have lived. I'll tell you this: when my parents moved here in the mid-to-late 1950's, they had no money, and lived on the Lower East Side. Then they got a bit of a better place in Yorkville, but nothing fancy at all. As my dad started to make better money we moved first to a decent place on Riverside Drive, then in 1967 to a nice pre-war on West End Avenue.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 AM

Also, since you used the word "plausible" and didn't make it a condition that your protagonist live in Manhattan...much of The Bronx would've fit the bill in 1965. Especially since both the East and West Sides of Manhattan are directly accessible via subway from The Bronx.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Gee. You guys make New York circa 1965 sound downright affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City