Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 80,877 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone~!:-) based on everyones answers i think il just finish school here for what i wanna do and keep the good paying job i have and try to land a job in LA and move their 1st something more local!then moving across the US! Although NYC sounds amazing!!! and its always been my dream to live their!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh06 View Post
Thank you everyone~!:-) based on everyones answers i think il just finish school here for what i wanna do and keep the good paying job i have and try to land a job in LA and move their 1st something more local!then moving across the US! Although NYC sounds amazing!!! and its always been my dream to live their!
Yes, ALWAYS finish your schooling first. Often people who take a break with their education end up never going back and live to regret it big time. Finish whatever you started FIRST. Also, in this depression-like economy, its definitely a bad idea to quit any job unless you have a firm written offer from another employer. Good luck breaking into LA and then coming here when you're ready.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh06 View Post

Many people had that same dream, and just like you were planning to move here on a whim....And I've seen NYC destory alot of people because the undersestimated the "REAL" NYC with their "DREAM" NYC...

It doesnt work like that - Now if this was 2005-06 when NYC was firing on all cylinders then yes you might have had that chance....But now 2008 is a serious time to be cautious.

LA is another town I would warn people moving to from afar, LA is in about the same boat as NYC, but you live locally to LA so your safe, you have that foundation.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I think that is a sensible choice, and you can always follow your dream to NYC. But, following it with a degree and practical experience, and perhaps landing a plum internship or job first is definitely the way to go, and a solid foundation in California will be an asset. Plus, you can save some money as a cushion prior to making the move, since it can help to defray initial expenses. NYC is not going anywhere, nor should your dream of living/working in the city, just continue to apply your rational mind to it and you can make it happen, successfully. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,701 times
Scores is always an option if your good looking

But on a serious note, I agree with everyone here. Like Blackbeauty212, I am also in finance and it's pretty rough right now. I would definitely advise against making the move here if you haven't finished school or have a job lined up. NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world and you do not want to move here making minimum wage. Finish school, gain some experience first and hopefully by that time, the economy will be stronger and you can make a move then. It's not like NYC is going anywhere!

Good Luck!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:12 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,378 times
When I moved to NYC from Boston I picked a date to move. On that day I was moving, regardless of what had transpired or been accompished.

Everyone will tell you to "get your ducks in a row" "plan for the future" "do the right thing". The truth is, coming to New York in of itself, is not a teaditional, or "future stablizing" prospect. Cost of living is sky high. It is hyper competetive. Salaries don't compensate you for the rents. Despitre this, however, NY remains a place where dreams come true. Where ANYTHING can be acomplished. It is for this reason, that I would tell anyone who dreams big, to come to NY.

For 6 months i looked for work. Apartments turn on a dime, so last minute hunting is actually the norm, not a desperate move. THREE WEEKS out of my target date I had no job, and no apartment. I kept working hard. On my date I moved...with an apartment and with a job. Don't let people tell you not to do something. Give it your all. Only you know what dreams you have. NYC is unlike any place Ive ever lived. Ive lived in So Cal. Ive lived in ATL, Boston...nothing compares. IT is beyond words. It will be an adjustment for you. When I moved there were a LOT of people trying to give me advice who had ZERO experience in new york city. Listen to people who have done the move. Not people who have "visited new york a lot" Its not the same AT ALL. My only warning, the Bronx is generally not safe (riverdale the exception). Its cheaper, but safety to me doesnt have a price. Good luck and feel free to ask me questions if you want advice.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:03 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
I say save up 10 grand, come here and take some big risks. What do you have to lose when you're young? Life is for adventure. If you're tough, you'll survive living in cramped conditions with a roommate in a rough Bronx neighborhood, take the 2 train through Harlem and South Bronx every night, face cold new york winters, have lonely nights because you're broke or don't have a close group of friends since you're 3000 miles from home, eat top rawmen everyday, network your way into a PR or event planning internship, work horrendous hours for $15 bucks an hour, and as a reward for you surviving all of that you'll be ready for that big break when some SVP of marketing at some investment bank is impressed by your passion after meeting you at an event you planned and hires you on the spot for $100,000 a year as an internal corporate event planner - then it will all be worth it - it's only unrealistic if you think it is, after all, in New York, anything can happen.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
The girl is only 20 years old and hasn't even finished school. Why shouldn't she at least finish school before going so far away from her family to a harsh place like NYC?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Yeah school comes first. Don't even think about moving to NYC without a degree.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
We loved NYC in the 70's - 80's but had the luck to get in a rent stabilized Manhattan community, Stuyvesant Town. Now, all apts for new residents are market rate.

NYC drove out the middle class from Manhattan and horrible areas such as Alphabet City, where my Mom lived at 620 E 13 St, have gentrified.

NYC greed will be rewarded with a meltdown when the financial sector implodes. The middle class were a stabilizing influence and have been forced out.

Unless you have plenty of money, don't jump into NYC. I miss the public transit and excitement, but not the crazy prices.

The 70's were loaded with crime which may return as conditions worsen.

Put this idea on hold for the future. NYC can be very cruel when you're broke.

This is from an NYC street kid who grew up in the "Midnight Cowboy" experience during the first meth epidemic in the 1960's. Thanks to the good Lord, I've been clean and sober since 1970 and hold a sensitive Federal security clearance.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by saturnfan; 12-22-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City