Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,223 times

Advertisements

Well I hope that's the case in having more co-op/condo conversions. The thing I don't get is that you have people buying up co-ops in Harlem that's right next to the Projects yet developers drop the ball and build rental building instead of co-ops in the Bronx, know that co-ops are more profitable than rentals even if co-ops sell for a cheap 80K-100K plus maintenance. But no, they decide to rent and dedicate a certain portion of the rental to section 8 tenants. I'm sorry but that's not how you improve a low-income neighborhood by catering to the same demographics. You're actually making the "ghetto" more dense and more concentrated.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^2 i understand that, but why do you think they let people run everything down to the ground?
The government to a certain extent doesn't have control over property or neighborhoods. It's a combination of landlords and tenants. They are both equally at fault. The landlords is at fault for having a crappy tenant screening system (if any) renting to trashy, ghetto tenants that degrade the property and neighborhood. And you have the individual tenant at fault for not having the decency and pride in keep their building and neighborhood desirable.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM

But why build new housing to cater to more of the same people that make the area "ghetto"? You are not helping the neighborhood by introducing more of the same demographics. You have to switch it up and diversify the income levels in these neighborhoods.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
But why build new housing to cater to more of the same people that make the area "ghetto"? You are not helping the neighborhood by introducing more of the same demographics. You have to switch it up and diversify the income levels in these neighborhoods.
As for South Bronx not changing say that to SoBRO's Director of Environmental Planning Shira Gidding and she will definitely give you a squeeze on the nuts.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^4 you're right. it's discouraging to see so many people live that way. it's uncivilized.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
As for South Bronx not changing say that to SoBRO's Director of Environmental Planning Shira Gidding and she will definitely give you a squeeze on the nuts.
How about that.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM

I see out of town white folks in Mott Haven all the time. I see them coming out of 138th street grand concourse station coming out of the subway from the EV during late hours. I see them hauling wholefoods from third avenue subway station. I see them shopping in crappy super markets through out the area. Gentrification has slowed to a trickle in Mott Haven, its still going on dont get me wrong. THe sad thing is that good people in the area who grew up in the area dont remain and they all leave for greener pastures, some even move to places where out of town white transplants who move to NYC come from, how ironic. The whole Bronx wont gentrify and thats a given. DO you see hipsters and yuppies around Throgs Neck or Gunhill Road, do you see them around City Island or Wakefield or in University Heights? No. Only the SOuthern portion of the Bronx will only see some sort of gentrification in one way shape or form. The only part of the Bronx that caters to some form of yuppies is Riverdale, Belmont section of the BRonx near Fordham University and increasingly the Yankee Stadium area. As for the whole borough gentrifying? Dont hold your breath!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times
I disagree Bronxguy. Gentrification is occurring across the entire city, at more extremes in certain neighborhoods of course. Look at all the rentals and condos going up in Melrose. They have "Affordable" components priced moderately for the city population. They also have market rate units. This is not even mentioning areas like Pelham Parkway, Norwood, Bedford Park, Marble Hill, Kingsbridge, ect. We all know it's only a matter of time for the Grand Concourse.

Gentrification is happening in the Bronx. You can thank the subway and it's all around urbanity
I also realize Greenpoint, LIC, Astoria will completely gentrify first. However those neighborhoods are not cheap even now.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 AM

Last night I was hungry, so I decided to go to this Dominican cucho frito spot in Mott Haven on 138 street. Mind you that Dominican restaurant used to be a Puerto Rican luncheonera a decade ago and three to four decades ago an Irish restaurant from what I've been told by old timers . Back to the story, I had to order some food and I saw this cute little white chick who looks like she skydived out of the Midwest she also entered the restaurant. She had a perplexed look 0n her face. I saw her looking through the menu and everything on the menu was written in Spanish. She had a tough time making an order. I spoke to her briefly. I asked her is there anything good on the menu? She said yeah. She asked me about other places to eat on 138 street I told her its mostly fast food chinese, Dominican and Mexican restaurants aswell as fried chicken spots. I wanted her to check out this Mexican restaurant around the corner which is pretty good but may break her pocket. she asked me if I eat here a lot I told her once in a blue moon since I cook mostly home. I did get a chance to put a smile on her face. Damn didn't get her name or number. There's a good chance I will run into her again. All I have to say is neighborhoods do change but it will take time.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-12-2012 at 12:57 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Bronx has alot of different restaurants and cuisine nowadays it can really confuse some ppl. I've been a couple of times in a Vietnamese restaurant near Fordham Road after shopping. And I definitely will go back there. The place is well kept and clean and a beautiful Viatnemese chick was behind the counter I complained that the spring rolls were slightly more expensive than the last time but she just flashed a pearl white grin and said "just pay and don't complain". Sadly her english is pretty bad so there is and always will be a language barrier between us but I told her that Saigon is a beautiful city. You been there she asked? I said not yet but I know a Vietnam Veteran who was stationed there. But when she started to clean the tables in her black stretch jeans trying to balance on her high heels I almost chocked on a mouthful of spring rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City