Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I was living here in the late 80's. I was in a public middle school in Woodside Queens. The school had some problems then, like fights, sex in classrooms, drugs and some Knife incidents. Although I never heard anything about a gun problem. It was a big change for me since I came from Colombia and there I had gone to private school.
What part of Colombia are you from? I lived in Bogotá and have been in most major cities/regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I have finally viewed the thread. I am sad to say that none of it is shocking..the most shocking part is that I find it not surprising at all. I did not live through the destruction of the 70s, but I was around to see the aftermath in the 80s..and those pics are accurate. I thought it was perfectly normal as it was all I knew.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
here goes another one i heard recently about Alphabet City:

If you're on Avenue A you're adventurous
If you're on Avenue B you're brave
If you're on Avenue C you're crazy
If you're on Avenue D you're dead

i dont know how well you know the lower east side rachel, but lillian wald houses and jacob riis houses are on avenue d.
My Mom lived at 620 E 13 between C & D. Yes, very rough.

Understand the area has gentrified since we left Manhattan in 1985.

We lived on Ave C but it was not too bad in the 70's and 80's if you knew what was going on and dressed like a "mugger" not a "mugee".

Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I have finally viewed the thread. I am sad to say that none of it is shocking..the most shocking part is that I find it not surprising at all. I did not live through the destruction of the 70s, but I was around to see the aftermath in the 80s..and those pics are accurate. I thought it was perfectly normal as it was all I knew.
well i think the shock would come from looking at NYC now compared to what it was back then, like really sitting back and saying "look how far we've come..." i dont think it would shock anybody who lived in this era because we already knew about it, so for me and you, seeing this is nothing new. i remember this time in nyc very well even though i was born in 1981.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Yes we have come a long way since those times, not just in the massive decrease in crime, but the overall rebuilding effort. When I walk about the neighborhood I realize how much of the housing stock is new, and when you consider the housing projects were built in the 1960s, there is very little original housing left. A few renovated tenements and some brownstones, the rest are large housing projects and new affordable housing (including condos, co-ops, and 2 and 3 family homes). I don't remember the empty shells of buildings, I only remember the blocks of empty lots..and had no concept that all those empty lots used to be buildings and homes.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
I remember when I was 6 years old in 1980 waiting with my father outside Woolworth's on 34th Street. A bum was asking us for money while at the same time the Woolworth's was being held up! That about summed up New York City during that era.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
What part of Colombia are you from? I lived in Bogotá and have been in most major cities/regions.
Oh I am from Cali, Colombia. I only visited Bogota once, when I was 8. I really need to visit Colombia again. You probably remember more things about Bogota or Cali and Colombia than I ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City