Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 13,640 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone~

I've spent a good hour reading through past posts but I just end up with more questions than answers. So although I know lots of questions like these get asked, I'd really appreciated any answers you all can give me!

1) I've read that many apartment rentals ask for a proof of income. So this would mean I'd need a job before I get here. But aren't employers wary of people who are claiming they're moving to the city but never do? Which is the way to go - the job first or the apartment first? How difficult is it to secure a job in NYC when you're not actually living there yet?

2) I'm planning on moving to the city with my boyfriend around August '09 (unless a job pops up) when our current lease expires. When should we start the apartment search? We're looking for a studio or one-bedroom with an estimated budget of about $1,000 - $1,200 a month. We'd like something with a 30-min or less commute to Manhattan and would like someplace "safe". Any recommendations for neighborhoods? I've heard getting a broker could be worth the fee - how do we go about finding one?

Thanks for any help, I know I'm a total n00b when it comes to all this stuff.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:21 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
It can be very difficult to find an apartment without a job lined up but, yes, it's going to be difficult to land a job from out-of-town. Your best bet may be to sublet a place for a couple months. That'll give you the opportunity to find job(s), learn your way around the city, and find the neighborhood(s) where you'd really like to live.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:32 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
I'm from STL, so I'm only perusing the NYC boards...but I can imagine in any big city, St. Louis included, it would be harder because there are so many applicants in the immediate area. I've offered friends to use my address in STL to help them get a job (if they don't live close by), because I know I wasn't even getting interviews off of my resumes.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:15 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Even if you live in New York with tons of New York experience nowadays, its VERY, VERY hard to find a job. 2008-2009 isn't the time to relocate to New York to look for any type of job. Sounds harsh but that's the reality.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kej5009 View Post
Hi everyone~

I've spent a good hour reading through past posts but I just end up with more questions than answers. So although I know lots of questions like these get asked, I'd really appreciated any answers you all can give me!

1) I've read that many apartment rentals ask for a proof of income. So this would mean I'd need a job before I get here. But aren't employers wary of people who are claiming they're moving to the city but never do? Which is the way to go - the job first or the apartment first? How difficult is it to secure a job in NYC when you're not actually living there yet?

2) I'm planning on moving to the city with my boyfriend around August '09 (unless a job pops up) when our current lease expires. When should we start the apartment search? We're looking for a studio or one-bedroom with an estimated budget of about $1,000 - $1,200 a month. We'd like something with a 30-min or less commute to Manhattan and would like someplace "safe". Any recommendations for neighborhoods? I've heard getting a broker could be worth the fee - how do we go about finding one?

Thanks for any help, I know I'm a total n00b when it comes to all this stuff.

Thanks!
I have moved to NYC 2 times already(And I am moving out again in a year and half).
The first time I had a job waiting for me.
The second I came without one.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Even if you live in New York with tons of New York experience nowadays, its VERY, VERY hard to find a job. 2008-2009 isn't the time to relocate to New York to look for any type of job. Sounds harsh but that's the reality.
Tough time indeed.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 13,640 times
Thanks to everyone who's answered! I know it's tough times, but I'm graduating in May and I feel like if I don't move now, I never will. Any other input is appreciated.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:35 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kej5009 View Post
We're looking for a studio or one-bedroom with an estimated budget of about $1,000 - $1,200 a month. We'd like something with a 30-min or less commute to Manhattan and would like someplace "safe". Any recommendations for neighborhoods?
I suggest Astoria, Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City