Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:54 AM

48 posts, read 184,317 times

Advertisements

hi
would like to know if anyone is thinking of moving to NC
I am a stay at home mom and my husband is a trucker
We have one daughter who is 5
It's just becoming tooo expensive to continue living in NYC
I really love NYC but can't seem to afford it anymore
Am I the only one thinking this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 12:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
this shouldn't be in here...it should be in the NC forum.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:34 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,645 times
You've got to be kidding, if you think you're the only New Yorker moving to North Carolina.

Have you checked both the New York State and the North Carolina forums?

You'll find thousands of people who're doing the same move. You'll also find hundreds of people who moved down South and came back North.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
Well, I can't honestly say we don't have muggers here who would stoop so low as to punch a 101 year old lady, but we do have nice weather and affordable housing.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
There are also a ton of listings for truck drivers in the classifieds everyday down in the Carolinas. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:19 PM

12 posts, read 59,153 times
I live in NC and I just want to tell you, there are parts here that are pretty expensive (Charlotte or Asheville). There are plenty of places to move that would save you tons of money, but they don't offer you the same opportunities that a city would, and make sure you check out the schools because although NC has several good schools on a state ranking level we are pretty low, nothing like NY.

Check out the NC forum too, many good posts from northerners and southerners alike. Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson
Well, I can't honestly say we don't have muggers here who would stoop so low as to punch a 101 year old lady, but we do have nice weather and affordable housing.

are you sure about that? NC does have it's tough parts.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Yes there is crime but it is slightly different crime. My Dad has lived in NC since 1977 and it is an inside sort of joke that they have never had muggings there. Mugging there means smiling for the camera. They have other kinds of crime of course and they seem to report every crime no matter how trivial. Thus, statistically they seem to have more crime than New York or Philly where many victims never bother reporting crimes. It makes everyone laugh.

I spent some time in Austin, TX and when I heard that a woman had gotten her purse snatched I mentioned to this girl that people don't usually report that in New York. She freaked out and was like "Oh my God" that's not right-you just cancel the credit cards and that's it? Austin is another one of those towns where for everything people like to call the police. And they show too. Their crime stats are high in part for that reason. It's just different in that way in many parts of the U.S.-something to consider.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,276 times
Crime rates are higher in NC because there is more crime in NC (per capita)... rape and murder all gets reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Yes there is crime but it is slightly different crime. My Dad has lived in NC since 1977 and it is an inside sort of joke that they have never had muggings there. Mugging there means smiling for the camera. They have other kinds of crime of course and they seem to report every crime no matter how trivial. Thus, statistically they seem to have more crime than New York or Philly where many victims never bother reporting crimes. It makes everyone laugh.

I spent some time in Austin, TX and when I heard that a woman had gotten her purse snatched I mentioned to this girl that people don't usually report that in New York. She freaked out and was like "Oh my God" that's not right-you just cancel the credit cards and that's it? Austin is another one of those towns where for everything people like to call the police. And they show too. Their crime stats are high in part for that reason. It's just different in that way in many parts of the U.S.-something to consider.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Rape and murder are not the only crimes that people concern themselves with. There are many other crimes that affect ones quality of life. And they report everything down there-no matter how minor. The police come quickly and this is in one of the larger cities down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City