Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 58,325 times

Advertisements

Can anyone on this forum give me an idea of how much it would cost to make a basement that was fully-finished by a licensed contractor legal? Architect cost, fees, additional work, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 AM

217 posts, read 921,351 times
Welll....

I'll state the obvious, which I will assume you already know: how big is the place? Where is it? What size building is on top of the basement.

With that out of the way, a quality architectural job should run you at least $5k and that should include permitting. Keep this in mind: the basement comprises the foundation of your building and, depending on conditions, you may need a licensed engineer to work on necessary repairs/strengthening, etc. No one should be surprised if your building is 50 years old and the architect makes a "discovery" that requires an engineer's attention.

I know an architect who does this kind of work and if you send me a private message I'll reply with the necessary info.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
OP, depending on how you want your basement layed out, you might not need a architect. If you do a open layout with only one room (i.e. bedroom), most licensed contractors can do the lay out for you.

There will be the usual fees associated with the licensing though.

In terms of renovation costs, this will vary greatly depending on the materials you use. Your kitchen and bathroom will be the most expensive. A basic bathroom can run you about $2K - $5K minimum and a kitchen will generally be more because of the appliances and cabinetry. Again, it's hard for me to give you an estimate because there is no "average" cost. It all depends on what you put in.

Tile floors are run as little as $1 per sq ft to as much as $10 or more depending on the tiles. That is only for material, so you have to factor in labor costs too. Carpet or linoneum is cheaper but carpet gets damp in the basement and linoneum does not really last.

Hope this helps a little-

Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
OP, depending on how you want your basement layed out, you might not need a architect. If you do a open layout with only one room (i.e. bedroom), most licensed contractors can do the lay out for you.

There will be the usual fees associated with the licensing though.

In terms of renovation costs, this will vary greatly depending on the materials you use. Your kitchen and bathroom will be the most expensive. A basic bathroom can run you about $2K - $5K minimum and a kitchen will generally be more because of the appliances and cabinetry. Again, it's hard for me to give you an estimate because there is no "average" cost. It all depends on what you put in.

Tile floors are run as little as $1 per sq ft to as much as $10 or more depending on the tiles. That is only for material, so you have to factor in labor costs too. Carpet or linoneum is cheaper but carpet gets damp in the basement and linoneum does not really last.

Hope this helps a little-
Here is my dilemna,

She recently completed a two-bedroom basement apartment (kitchen and shower) and was in the process of renting it out when building inspectors came knocking. She did not let them in to inspect but who knows what will happen in the future. Now she wants to explore the possibilities of making the basement legal. Obviously there would not be much work left to be done on the interior as a licensed contractor completed the work. However, she would like to find out costs of things like meter installation (gas and electricity) if the apartment is made legal. Also, this would now be a three-family house so I am sure the taxes and insurance would go up.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FubsNy View Post
Here is my dilemna,

She recently completed a two-bedroom basement apartment (kitchen and shower) and was in the process of renting it out when building inspectors came knocking. She did not let them in to inspect but who knows what will happen in the future. Now she wants to explore the possibilities of making the basement legal. Obviously there would not be much work left to be done on the interior as a licensed contractor completed the work. However, she would like to find out costs of things like meter installation (gas and electricity) if the apartment is made legal. Also, this would now be a three-family house so I am sure the taxes and insurance would go up.
I think a legal basemant apartment needs two exits. The basement tenant would need access to the first floor to get out the front door. Correct me if I'm wrong

Old 12-28-2008, 12:28 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i believe seperate electric meters and gas too.... you also have to be zoned for 2 family

Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
As suggested above, you may be in for more than you bargained for if the basement is substantially below grade. You will need two modes of egress, one of which can be a window. But the window needs to be of sufficient size to permit entry/exit, which might entail excavating around the foundation, building a retaining wall and cutting the foundation. Even if this renovation was not done for an apartment use, you could not get a c of o for basement bedrooms without access to the outside.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Default Zoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i believe seperate electric meters and gas too.... you also have to be zoned for 2 family
The house is a two-family one with a basement. So I guess I would have to be zoned for 3 family. How can you find out the zoning in the area?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
As suggested above, you may be in for more than you bargained for if the basement is substantially below grade. You will need two modes of egress, one of which can be a window. But the window needs to be of sufficient size to permit entry/exit, which might entail excavating around the foundation, building a retaining wall and cutting the foundation. Even if this renovation was not done for an apartment use, you could not get a c of o for basement bedrooms without access to the outside.
There is a back door entry/exit and numerous 2 feet by 3 feet windows. There is also a entry/exit to the apartment upstairs.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Nevins View Post
Welll....

I'll state the obvious, which I will assume you already know: how big is the place? Where is it? What size building is on top of the basement.

With that out of the way, a quality architectural job should run you at least $5k and that should include permitting. Keep this in mind: the basement comprises the foundation of your building and, depending on conditions, you may need a licensed engineer to work on necessary repairs/strengthening, etc. No one should be surprised if your building is 50 years old and the architect makes a "discovery" that requires an engineer's attention.

I know an architect who does this kind of work and if you send me a private message I'll reply with the necessary info.

5 grand is cutting it very close. dont even think you can get it done with that. the OP should shop around with several architects to get an idea of the prices. keep in mind you have to pay the architect, engineer if needed, plumber, contractor, and building department fees.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City