Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 16,428 times

Advertisements

Well make that an I "might" be anyway. A little history on myself. I currently live in Pittsburgh and am employed with a good company here in Western Pennsylvania. However the cash well I have been living off of here is going to dry up for me soon. I currently work with a guy who worked for Con-Ed and plans to go back to work there when the project we are on here ends. He said he could get me on as a journeyman there making $15 and hour. I know that ain't much especially for NYC. The only plus side working for me is I should have about 30K in savings God willing when I leave here most likely this spring. I guess my real question is how much will that 30K help me/how far will it go there? Also I must ask the obligatory "where should I move to question?" Appreciate the honest feedback people. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:24 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,851,043 times
NYC is the Most Expensive big city in the Country and Pittsburgh is one of the least expensive.....NYC will eat 30k in less then 6mos. to be honest....You'll need something making atleast double per hour the con-ed offer.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 PM

718 posts, read 2,319,362 times
I wont sugarcoat things. For 99% of the population trying to make it in NY, that hourly wage isnt good enough, and you will eat through those savings in a minute. However, its like anything else, if you hustle hard you can beat the odds and make it, but now is a horrible time to come.

New York got hit the hardest with the current economic situation. Jobs have disappeared by the thousands and not just in finance. Budgets are being cut across the board and more jobs will probably get cut as a result. You would probably be better staying put in Pittsburgh and having a better quality of life. It comes down to family, friends, and comfort...not bottle service and lit up skyscrapers at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJason1982 View Post
Well make that an I "might" be anyway. A little history on myself. I currently live in Pittsburgh and am employed with a good company here in Western Pennsylvania. However the cash well I have been living off of here is going to dry up for me soon. I currently work with a guy who worked for Con-Ed and plans to go back to work there when the project we are on here ends. He said he could get me on as a journeyman there making $15 and hour. I know that ain't much especially for NYC. The only plus side working for me is I should have about 30K in savings God willing when I leave here most likely this spring. I guess my real question is how much will that 30K help me/how far will it go there? Also I must ask the obligatory "where should I move to question?" Appreciate the honest feedback people. Take care.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,423,684 times
Just one simple question - why is your choice limited between Pittsburgh and NYC, two such different places? America is a big country... Maybe you could look beyond these two.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 16,428 times
"Just one simple question - why is your choice limited between Pittsburgh and NYC, two such different places? America is a big country... Maybe you could look beyond these two."

Good question. For starters I am not from Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania, don't have any real friends or family here either. I am actually from Texas. I have lived in other cities BTW Including Chicago,Seattle,Denver. I came to work specifically at the power plant I am at for a Large construction company. Shaw Stone and Webster is their name. My part in the project I came here to work on should be finished in the Spring. I don't have another job assignment with my company after this one ends. The only offer I have for work after this is Con-Ed in NYC thats why I am considering going there. I don't plan on staying here in Pittsburgh when my job ends because quite frankly I have no reason to there is nothing here for me. As far as Texas goes, I don't like it and don't have any intent to live there again.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,307,525 times
^^^

That is a good enough reason as any

But make sure you get the job first

For 30K, you will have to live in the up and coming areas like northern Manhattan: Washington Heights, Inwood, Harlem, Morningside

Or in BK and Queens: ridgewood, jamaica, maspeth, corona, bushwick, bed stuy, brownsville

and the South Bronx

In NJ you can live in Jersey City: greeneville, journal square, bergen lafayette

and Newark

Those are really your only options for survival

Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM

210 posts, read 969,699 times
guys, you are exagerrating, 30K is A LOT. I moved to NY with 10K and worked making $10/hour for the first 6 months, i lived with a rooommate in Astoria, our rent was $500 each, we not only survived, we had tons of fun. and in NY there are always opportunities to find another job, make extra money.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 PM

283 posts, read 1,070,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
guys, you are exagerrating, 30K is A LOT. I moved to NY with 10K and worked making $10/hour for the first 6 months, i lived with a rooommate in Astoria, our rent was $500 each, we not only survived, we had tons of fun. and in NY there are always opportunities to find another job, make extra money.
I agree with this post. $15 an hour, at 40 hours a week, is an income of over $30k a year, which is in itself livable in the outer boroughs, especially with roommates. If you figure also that the OP is willing to spend even a third of his $30k savings per year, that would give him more like the equivalent of a $45k income, which is definitely doable.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM

749 posts, read 2,446,325 times
I agree with Julia Huff, you can do it if you can keep your rent below about $450 a month. I was earning the exact same amount when I first moved here, and as everyone knows, the streets are paved with gold in New York and tons of opportunities abound. I was able to over triple my salary in just 3 years, so it's worth the sacrifice and risk. I too lived in Astoria with roommates and was paying $450 for a tiny room, but loving every minute of it. However, I came when the economy was booming, now its a lot harder to make moves.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,824,995 times
Don't believe the hype! You can make it if you really want to. If you want to live in Manhattan then you should look in upper Manhattan. Nice nabes up there. I live in washington heights and its great. My wife who grew up in a small town in minnesota loves it here too. there are great deals in queens like astoria,jackson heights or sunnyside. visit as many nabes as you can before you decide.You must like and feel safe in the neighborhood (this means at night aswell)! If you get rid of your car NY becomes much more affordable. To be honest unlike any other city a car hear is more of a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City