Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

have a lot of indian names? Chenango, Chemung, Cheyenne all I know is that there are 62 counties in NY. (i'm not going to be silly and say there are counties named Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Well there is no Cheyenne...but yes many of the upstate counties have Native American names...lol and no there are no Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse counties...Buffalo is in Erie County (where Hilary was trying to get when she actually ended up in Erie PA!), Rochester is in Monroe County, and Syracuse is in Onondaga County.

If you're up for a "fun" challenge, here is a game they have on the NYS website called "find the county" lol. First time I played I actually got about half of them on the first try. The 5 counties of NYC are actually all combined into one and labeled "NYC county". Kind of lame I must admit

New York State | Map-NY

Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
"Is it shocking how few people know about the boroughs of NYC?"

It's really not all that surprising; geographic knowledge all around the country is at a pathetic level. A while back, a crew from one of the TV networks set up a map of the United States at Rockefeller Center--where businesspeople from just about anywhere in the country might be found at any given time.

The TV crew asked passersby a simple question: can you point to your home state on the map. One man in particular announced proudly that he was from Illinois...and proceeded to put his finger right in the middle of Minnesota. (As we say in this corner of the land, waddaya gonna do? That's when we're not saying, go figure!)

Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Oh God

I can do a bronx or manhattan fill-in easily but not NY state!!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
IMO, NYC, has the most unique form of city government in America. It is a city of 5 Boroughs ( seperate, yet equal ) and each Borough is its own county. Though, there is no county level government; it is just one city! This is how people from out of town-and even some locals, get thrown off. I hear people call, Yonkers, Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey, and Newark, Boroughs.

Ever since I was a little boy, I always thought this: If you see a NYPD car, or an FDNY truck, you're in New York City.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM

88 posts, read 269,376 times
I can understand how the boroughs could be confusing if your from Iowa or some isolated, rural state very far from NYC but if you live in Northern, NJ or the NY metro area shouldn't you atleast know that Harlem isn't its own city? Also get this, my mother was from Brooklyn and she didn't know it was located geographically on Long Island until this year.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM

88 posts, read 269,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
The boroughs of New York can be confusing to some people. I know when I go out of town, you have a city or town within a county. I have not seen many places where the county only encompasses one thing, i.e., Kings County is only Brooklyn. Queens can be entirely confusing since it is thought of as neighborhoods (postal) instead of town/city/borough. As Henna mentioned when you address mail to Whitestone, NY you think that Whitestone is a town or city, not a neighborhood in Queens. In fact, Queens shares more of a naming convention with Long Island then it shares with any other borough of New York City.

As a New Yorker, everything seems very normal to me but when you look at other places, it does appear to be unique.
Philadelphia is the same as Philadelphia County, New Orleans is the same as Orleans Parish, San Francisco is the same as San Francisco County, and most of Duval County is Jacksonville. Those are the only other examples I can think of where the entire county encompasses only one city or borough.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 PM

13 posts, read 48,050 times
Quote:
I double the bet by stating that very few people realize, or care, that the northern most neighborhood of Manhattan is connected to mainland USA.
YES! Heh I didn't realize this until I noticed it after staring reeeeeaally closely at a subway map some years ago. Thrilling!!

But it's only connected to the mainland by landfill.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 AM

Default The northernmost...

I double the bet by stating that very few people realize, or care, that the northern most neighborhood of Manhattan is connected to mainland USA.

YES! Heh I didn't realize this until I noticed it after staring reeeeeaally closely at a subway map some years ago. Thrilling!!

But it's only connected to the mainland by landfill

...neighborhood in Manhattan is Inwood, but how is it connected to the mainland(which is the bronx)?. Inwood manhattan and the entire island connects to the bronx mainland by the Broadway bridge and henry Hudson bridge as well as various other bridges spanning the harlem River further south

I don't mean to be corrective as it's not part of my nature to do so, but on a map I don't see manhattan attached to the bronx or any of the other areas across from it like Queens, brooklyn, NJ, it's all separated by water

Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
That's Marble Hill, which even most New Yorkers automatically take to be a part of The Bronx. And as FTLkid mentioned, there are also a lot of people who don't know that Brooklyn and Queens are geographically a part of Long Island--and you can get into some serious arguments if you try to correct them!

This stuff all has to do with geography. If you get into the subject of New York City's history (which I, personally, find endlessly fascinating) then things get truly frightening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City