Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM

77 posts, read 238,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I know the boroughs and I've never lived in NYC... but I think it goes both ways. People from NYC know shockingly little about geography outside of NYC.
Nonsense we know all the geography that matters in the world today.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-03-2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
As a new yorker,as a born and raised, new yorker..... I believe that its certain things you SHOULD KNOW. I dont see how a new yorker would think that yonkers was in the bronx. Now come on now u gotta draw a line somwhere.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
check out the book secret new york, exploring the city's hidden neighborhoods .... its a wealth of stuff we all dont know about our neighborhoods

Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Another fascinating book about the city is the WPA Guide to New York City, originally published in 1939 for the first World's Fair, but more recently available in a reprint edition. It's like walking into a time capsule!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Not it is not too much information -- I appreciate the history lesson.

However, do the current "counties" have any governmental functions in the five boroughs?

As far as I can tell there is no actual county government apparatus in the boroughs, like there is elsewhere in NYS, or am I wrong?
each county in NYC (new york, bronx, kings, queens, richmond) has its own separate criminal, civil and supreme court.

they also have their own borough hall

new york county = borough of manhattan
bronx county = borough of bronx
queens county = borough of queens
kings county = borough brooklyn
richmond county = borough of staten island

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 PM

51 posts, read 281,859 times
Quote:
I know the boroughs and I've never lived in NYC... but I think it goes both ways. People from NYC know shockingly little about geography outside of NYC.
Right. Honestly, why would it be shocking that anyone who does not live in or has ever visited NYC does not know much about the boroughs? This is not a big deal. I didn't know anything about the boroughs prior to moving here... and now I'm living in one of them. I don't know much about the neighborhoods or geography of Los Angeles either, and don't expect to unless I move there - yikes

Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
Philadelphia is the same as Philadelphia County, New Orleans is the same as Orleans Parish, San Francisco is the same as San Francisco County, and most of Duval County is Jacksonville. Those are the only other examples I can think of where the entire county encompasses only one city or borough.
Denver also.

Boston shares Suffolk County, Mass. with three other towns (Chelsea, Revere and Winthrop) but Boston is over 80% of the county's population and land area.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylesC12 View Post
hahaha yup thats correct. When i read the post above yours i thought the same thing that u just wrote. There is a part of manhattan near riverdale in the bronx, that is almost part of the bronx but is manhattan and is on the mainland. I bet that guy who put down the first bet doesnt know this.
But it used to be connected to Manhattan island and not to the mainland before they rerouted the river.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,071 times
Not true. There are those of us who take pride in our country. People do travel around and pay attention to surroundings instead of being oblivious. As a result, some of us know shockingly more than you would think about geography of the entire USA.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Hey Fred314X, great info....keep it coming, you've kept me occupied for the last hour or so reading through this thread!

The war between Brooklyn/Queens not wanting to be called Long Island, and residents of all four counties not realizing that they are, in fact, eternally connected via land mass is a fairly new one. In the early part of the 20th century and prior, it was more common to refer to the whole entire thing by it's correct name first, instead of by political boundaries. I believe the divide was caused not only by the consolidation of NYC, but perhaps moreso by the usage of the phrase "out on Long Island" as residential areas sprung up much further east than they had previously existed. IE: "Where do you live?" .... "Oh, out on Long Island" as opposed to the more familiar "In Queens" or "In Brooklyn".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City