Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWaterz View Post
Edit: thought u were being sarcastic, but thats an actual restaurant...
is the food good? do they serve drinks? whats the crowd like?

PS- i should mention she's been sick the past week and was throwing up lol, keep that in mind with regard to food!! haha

The Spice Market is an actual restaurant

It is owned by some french dude, and frequented by lots of Yuppies, no hipsters

It is Southeast Asian Cuisine but by a frenchman

It has a cool Southeast asian ambiance

You will like it trust me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 AM

39 posts, read 164,354 times
I also vote for Spice Market...make sure to make reservations way in advance as it gets rather packed quickly.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Spice Market is okay for drinks, but the food service has been inconsistent in my experience. I also find it to be a very loud venue, partly due to size, which would give pause in recommending it for a first date.

The eponymous Jean Georges (CPW) is fantastic, by the same owner, but more expensive. Perry St. and Mercer Kitchen (Prince St. & Mercer) are other Jean Georges Vongerichten restaurants that are worthy of consideration for a first date, especially Perry St. since it's more subdued.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM

35 posts, read 186,114 times
Hi CoolWaterz,
It would be helpful if you could tell which type of cuisine you would prefer (French, Italian, Thai, Mexican, etc). You can definitely take a girl out to a nice restaurant and also have drinks and spend much less than $250.
Also, are you planning the dinner for next few days, weeks? Since she is sick you should probably wait a little bit.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWaterz View Post
I need a nice place, nothing too fancy or pretentious. Price range around 250 dollars for the night..downtown near west village i guess...

I wanna impress the girl so hook a good guy up!
Save your money. Get a bottle of wine and invite her over to your place. If a girl likes you, she likes you.

A $250 dinner ain't gonna impress a girl. But wit and charm will, and its free if you got it.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
how about Cornelia Street Cafe on ,yep, Cornelia Street b/w 6th ave & bleecker. very reasonably priced and there's a hip lounge downstairs where jazz artists sometimes play.

if you wan't the lounge feel, check the Underbar on 17th & park in union sq. i think its part of the westin hotel (not sure) but its dark as hell down there and gets a little crazy late nite. entrance is on 17th

Last edited by john_starks; 01-06-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 35,263 times
the park is nice..they have a indoor/outdoor kinda thing.. i dont know what they do in the winter though.. its a restaurant and turns into a lounge and a dance floor upstairs

Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM

24 posts, read 95,290 times
I recommend The Spotted Pig - I think its on Greenwich St? Hole in the wall, but great food, IMO and drinks. Get there early though, its small and always busy and they don't do reservations!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
the spotted pig is good

i would also recomend tortilla flats, cute and not expensive, but famous people frequent it, so you might impress your date that way

Old 01-07-2009, 01:08 PM

219 posts, read 608,829 times
I went to Bouley, which reopened not that long ago, just before Christmas. Not a lounge, more of a "Will you marry me?" place where you make reservations way in advance, but definitely very good food, invincible service, and if you avoid alcohol and the tasting menu, you can get in and out of there for around $100 total. My dinner there ran to maybe $295 or so with a bottle of wine, appetizer, entree and a whole lot of dessert. Aside from that, One Little West 12th, if it's still around, was a nice place and john starks is right on with underbar: very sexy, dark, little place. For wow factor, I'd also put in a pitch for Gotham Bar & Grill. +1 on Mercer Kitchen as well. I just hope your charm is as good as these restaurant choices we're giving you- I would hate for you two to just be staring at each other for an hour and a half over expensive food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: