Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think it is overrated in that whole bringing up your kids there sense. I don't think bringing up your children in a sheltered, suburbian environment is ideal. A lot of L.I. people are very ignorant. I hate to say it.

Which is why a good parent would take trips inot theCity, Lirr and/or car, take the subways, go to different boros and resturants, etc..

I grew up on LI and there is alot of diversity if you want to as well...if you go and look for it.

Go to Dominican resturant oin Uniondale.

Go to Roosevelt Field mall.

Go to a soul food resturant in Hempstead.

Go to the Nautical Mile in Freeport(which has has the only project on LI).

Drive around the GOld Coast, Old westbury.

Stop off in Hicksville and walk around Patel Brothers.

Sheltered people are like that for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,334 times
Default "Them Thar Be Good Ole White Folks Fer Dang Shure Ya'll" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
If indeed you are white (as you say), all you have to do is look at crime stats to see that you are much safer in an all-white area than a heavily "diverse" area. Schools are better too.
So give me the montony of an all or mostly white area any time.
White flight to the suburbs over the years has absolutely nothing to do with skin color, but everything to do with bad behavior and social ills, caused disproportionately by certain groups.
mrkool !!! ... On The Money !

Indeed ... Your logic is most refreshing.

As I have stated before ere on good ole CDF ... a persons race is a matter of great pride ! IMO it's definitely OK to perfer an all white folks area to hang yer dang hat ! Really it's OK ya'll !

May all of America's citizens learn to get along with each other ... and damn soon !!!

Cheers ... / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
There are many diverse communities of Nassau County. A lot of Southwestern Nassau County (and parts of central nassau) is either diverse or black neighborhoods (and there is 1-2 hispanic suburbs as well).

And I agree that mono-racial areas(regardless of the main race) are usually more boring than diverse areas but one positive about such areas is that there is usually more unity and less racial tensions/divisions and race issues.
Actually, there are more [arts of that are majority Hispanic than you think. Northern Freeport is majority Hispanic, as are Brentwood and Central Islip. Inwood and Huntington Station also have a large Hispanic population.

I mean, none of those areas are like 90% Hispanic (the highest is Brentwood, which is about 75% Hispanic), but there are large Hispanic populations there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Queen is really positioned to be an Asian dominated borough, which includes Hispanics as many come from Central/South America and very indigenous (asian). I suspect the "old guard" white exodus will accelerate as these baby boomers retire to Florida, and their kids have long been gone in many cases.

The few whites being hyped in Williamsburg, Harlem etc. are a small segment of the white population and are having only minimal effect on the white flight out of NYC. Many of these whites are from outside the city, but many are also moving from Manhattan as the global elite (of all races) is filling Manhattan communities, pricing out everyone.
There are plenty of Whites in Williamsburg. Do you mean East Williamsburg?

Quote:
Staten Island will probably always be majority White.
Right now, it's about 64% White, so maybe in 20-30 years, it will dip below 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I wouldn't say always, but it will probably be the last place to find the old ethnic Italian/Irish in large numbers.

Manhattan might become Majority White pretty soon too.
It's pretty close. Whites make up 48% of Manhattan's population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Which is why a good parent would take trips inot theCity, Lirr and/or car, take the subways, go to different boros and resturants, etc..

I grew up on LI and there is alot of diversity if you want to as well...if you go and look for it.

Go to Dominican resturant oin Uniondale.

Go to Roosevelt Field mall.

Go to a soul food resturant in Hempstead.

Go to the Nautical Mile in Freeport(which has has the only project on LI).

Drive around the GOld Coast, Old westbury.

Stop off in Hicksville and walk around Patel Brothers.

Sheltered people are like that for a reason.
There are projects on Long Island. They just aren't tall brown buildings like the ones in NYC (actually a lot of cities have projects that are townhouses like in LI). Off the top of my head, I know there is one in Glen Cove, some in Hempstead and a couple in Bay Shore and Inwood.

See here for some examples:
Glen Cove, NY Affordable Housing | Glen Cove, NY Low Income Apartments
Hempstead, NY Affordable Housing | Hempstead, NY Low Income Apartments
Inwood, NY Affordable Housing | Inwood, NY Low Income Apartments

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, there are more [arts of that are majority Hispanic than you think. Northern Freeport is majority Hispanic, as are Brentwood and Central Islip. Inwood and Huntington Station also have a large Hispanic population.

I mean, none of those areas are like 90% Hispanic (the highest is Brentwood, which is about 75% Hispanic), but there are large Hispanic populations there.
I was just referring to Nassau County. B-Wood, C.I. and North Bay Shore are in Suffolk County.

In Nassau, the only majority Hispanic communities are New Cassel/Westbury(I consider them the same community) and Freeport.

There are neighborhoods/census tracts of other communities that are majority Hispanic (and Hispanics do have a huge presence in many other towns), but as a whole no other hamlet/town besides the ones mentioned are majority hispanic.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Wow, only in the NYC thread can a needless 4-year old "bump" triple the number of posts to the thread....

By the way, one thing you're forgetting regarding "white" population of NYC is that the Census does not consider Hispanic a "race". Now I think this is somewhat true, I can think of many Latinos (especially Puerto Rican and Cuban) that look fairly "white" (a couple of famous examples in my opinion are Andy Garcia, Rita Moreno, Jorge Posada, and maybe J. Lo and rapper Pitbull), and some that clearly look "black" (former baseball pitcher Pedro Martinez and baseball Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente are the best examples I can think of), though I think the majority look "in between" racially so it could make sense as a "racial" category.

I make this for 2 points:

1) Some of the growing "white" population may actually also be Hispanic in the Census' eyes.

2) The race of someone who checks "Hispanic" on the Census forms selects their race (as does everyone else, there's nothing really stopping me from checking whatever I want in the category (I am white and could check "black" and I don't think the Census Bureau goes out to check)), so it's possible the numbers could somewhat reflect someone who doesn't really look "white" at all checking that category. The Census will give a "non-Hispanic white" and "non-Hispanic black" statistic and has noticed that the majority who check "Hispanic" on Census forms check "Two or more races", which has caused major growth in that category.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Wow, only in the NYC thread can a needless 4-year old "bump" triple the number of posts to the thread....

By the way, one thing you're forgetting regarding "white" population of NYC is that the Census does not consider Hispanic a "race". Now I think this is somewhat true, I can think of many Latinos (especially Puerto Rican and Cuban) that look fairly "white" (a couple of famous examples in my opinion are Andy Garcia, Rita Moreno, Jorge Posada, and maybe J. Lo and rapper Pitbull), and some that clearly look "black" (former baseball pitcher Pedro Martinez and baseball Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente are the best examples I can think of), though I think the majority look "in between" racially so it could make sense as a "racial" category.

I make this for 2 points:

1) Some of the growing "white" population may actually also be Hispanic in the Census' eyes.

2) The race of someone who checks "Hispanic" on the Census forms selects their race (as does everyone else, there's nothing really stopping me from checking whatever I want in the category (I am white and could check "black" and I don't think the Census Bureau goes out to check)), so it's possible the numbers could somewhat reflect someone who doesn't really look "white" at all checking that category. The Census will give a "non-Hispanic white" and "non-Hispanic black" statistic and has noticed that the majority who check "Hispanic" on Census forms check "Two or more races", which has caused major growth in that category.
I'm Irish and Latino, and I'm just as white as any Anglo-Saxon. I also have many friends who are mixed Italian/Puerto Rican or Irish/Puerto Rican and they all consider themselves white.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:

There are plenty of Whites in Williamsburg. Do you mean East Williamsburg?

Right now, it's about 64% White, so maybe in 20-30 years, it will dip below 50%.

It's pretty close. Whites make up 48% of Manhattan's population.

There are projects on Long Island. They just aren't tall brown buildings like the ones in NYC (actually a lot of cities have projects that are townhouses like in LI). Off the top of my head, I know there is one in Glen Cove, some in Hempstead and a couple in Bay Shore and Inwood.

interesting examples. you can even get the Google Map Street View; reminds me of some of the 'hoods back home in Ohio.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
I was just referring to Nassau County. B-Wood, C.I. and North Bay Shore are in Suffolk County.

In Nassau, the only majority Hispanic communities are New Cassel/Westbury(I consider them the same community) and Freeport.

There are neighborhoods/census tracts of other communities that are majority Hispanic (and Hispanics do have a huge presence in many other towns), but as a whole no other hamlet/town besides the ones mentioned are majority hispanic.
You're right in that regard. New Cassel is about 54% Hispanic, making it the only hamlet in Nassau that has a Hispanic majority. However, Westbury's Hispanic population is about 30%.

I think Hempstead has close to a Hispanic majority as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I'm Irish and Latino, and I'm just as white as any Anglo-Saxon. I also have many friends who are mixed Italian/Puerto Rican or Irish/Puerto Rican and they all consider themselves white.
Interesting. I'm 1/2 Peruvian, and I consider myself Hispanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
interesting examples. you can even get the Google Map Street View; reminds me of some of the 'hoods back home in Ohio.
I wouldn't really call those "hoods" (the crime rate isn't too high in those areas, except for maybe Hempstead). They actually look fairly nice, compared to some of the projects in cities like Miami. You can type in "Liberty Square" and see how run-down some of their projects are.

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 08-13-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
mrkool !!! ... On The Money !

Indeed ... Your logic is most refreshing.

As I have stated before ere on good ole CDF ... a persons race is a matter of great pride ! IMO it's definitely OK to perfer an all white folks area to hang yer dang hat ! Really it's OK ya'll !

May all of America's citizens learn to get along with each other ... and damn soon !!!

Cheers ... / Old Sgt. Lamar
Best post in this thread so far.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,869 times
Quote:

Hmm, looking at the other few they do seem to be low-income, but I was almost certain the one in Freeport was built with full federal funds, and it does look like a 'project'. I tried calling to speak to someone and got a answering maching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City