Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,919 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've seen some fairly decent deals on renting studio apartments in the CROWN HEIGHTS area of Manhattan. Can someone tell me if that's a good neighborhood to live in? Is it safe and close to the subway line?
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:40 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,538,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee07 View Post
Hi, I've seen some fairly decent deals on renting studio apartments in the CROWN HEIGHTS area of Brooklyn. Can someone tell me if that's a good neighborhood to live in? Is it safe and close to the subway line?
thanks.
Error fixed.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM

877 posts, read 2,761,257 times
Can you provide a cross street that you are interested in? Something like Sterlng and New York Avenue, or President and Kingston. Crown Heights has different areas within the neighborhood and in order to supply a decent answer knowing which area you are looking in would be good.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,579 times
Default I am looking there too

I am looking at an apartment on Sterling Pl. and Bedford ave. Should I be worried? Should I be concerned? The neighborhood looked rough but it didn't feel rough.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:14 PM

75 posts, read 561,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacothelovetaco View Post
I am looking at an apartment on Sterling Pl. and Bedford ave. Should I be worried? Should I be concerned? The neighborhood looked rough but it didn't feel rough.
It's not that bad, but it's bad. There's a lot of crime in that area but during the daytime it's pretty quiet. If it were me I wouldn't move there though.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:20 PM

346 posts, read 1,253,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee07 View Post
Hi, I've seen some fairly decent deals on renting studio apartments in the CROWN HEIGHTS area of Manhattan. Can someone tell me if that's a good neighborhood to live in? Is it safe and close to the subway line?
thanks.
Brooklyn. Anyway there is a huge ridge between the Hasidic residents and the black residents in the neighborhood and every few years some black v. hasidic crime goes on (these days some fight between black residents and Shorum/Shmira, the hasidic community patrol groups who are fighting between themselves) and news papers try to hype it up to say that they're going to be another Crown Heights riot.

That being said, there are two main portions of Crown Heights, the black portion and the Hasidic portion. The Hasidics live from the corner of Albany and Eastern Parkway to the corner of New York and Empire Blvd. From there there is a 1 block boarder that those of us living on it refer to as the Gaza Strip and then the remainder of the neighborhood tends to be black.

You don't want any property within two blocks of Utica, Nostrand or Franklin. Also stay away from anything on the side of Eastern Parkway heading towards Bed-sty (Fulton Ave). There are some Dutch houses between Kingston and Brooklyn Ave that are the best in the neighborhood but they're worth millions now and most of them aren't for sale. Even if they are, most of the residents would like to keep the homes inside of the Hasidic community. The remainder of the apartments are passable, and comparably cheaper to the remainder of the city. Still Crown Heights is currently on Gentrification watch so don't be surprise of you get stiffed on the rates.

As for the subway, the 4 and 3 train runs along Eastern Parkway and the 2 and 5 run down Nostrand. The following are the list of stops in the neighborhood
Franklin Ave. (2,3,4,5,franklin ave. shuttle (to a,c,b,q))
Nostrand Ave. (3,4 at night)
Kingston Ave. (3,4 at night)
Utica Ave. (3,4)
President St. (2,5 at rush hour)
*Sterling Ave. (2,5 at rush hour)

*debatable part of the neighborhood

Additionally the B17, B44, B45, B12, B46 and B43 buses run through the neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 PM

33,392 posts, read 46,812,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacothelovetaco View Post
bedford and sterling? lol. i can show u much worse parts of crown heights than that. it aint the cream of the crop, but far from the worst that crown heights has to offer. bnyy, are u from brooklyn?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 PM

75 posts, read 561,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
bedford and sterling? lol. i can show u much worse parts of crown heights than that. it aint the cream of the crop, but far from the worst that crown heights has to offer. bnyy, are u from brooklyn?
I didn't say it's the worst part of Crown Heights, I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to live there.

No but I've lived in Bensonhurst for some time now.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 AM

33,392 posts, read 46,812,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnyy View Post
I didn't say it's the worst part of Crown Heights, I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to live there.

No but I've lived in Bensonhurst for some time now.
yeah but u said its bad....i dont think so, i think its average for crown heights

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City