Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,569,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
deals with the street ugly as you try to enter your place.
yeah..security is also a good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,863,933 times
Doormen are great. They hail taxis, open the door for you which is nice if you have a stroller, kids, packages, etc. They know everyone in the building so it's an added security guard to have a doorman. They call the elevator for you and accept your packages. If you travel, they will even water your plants, collect your mail and feed the cat while you're away (you need to tip extra for this). And of course if you don't want to see someone, you can tell your doorman to let that person know that you're out when they come over.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Doormen are great. They hail taxis, open the door for you which is nice if you have a stroller, kids, packages, etc. They know everyone in the building so it's an added security guard to have a doorman. They call the elevator for you and accept your packages. If you travel, they will even water your plants, collect your mail and feed the cat while you're away (you need to tip extra for this). And of course if you don't want to see someone, you can tell your doorman to let that person know that you're out when they come over.
There seems to be no ceiling on the duties that a doorman is called upon to perform. No wonder there are so many jokes, or at least allegedly fictional narratives, of some doormen being called upon to perform miscellaneous duties when a husband is away.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:19 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
They're great for giving tourists directions.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 60,063 times
I agree with all the positive reasons you may want to have a doorman, HOWEVER, I have had them for 17 years and in my building at least, they are basically useless - have their hands out all the time (and we tip generously), have nasty attitudes and are in your business. I'd prefer not to have them in next apartment when I move. It's just a personal preference.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM

101 posts, read 300,696 times
I love having a doorman. I live in a small pre-war (19 units) so the 4 doorman (16 hr coverage) do everything from opening and closing an elderly residents windows to sorting and delivering mail. My friend in Chelsea lives in the parlor floor of a brownstone and is stuck inside all day sometimes waiting for the UPS man. They also collect each and every tenants garbage which is left just inside the door, they spend a good deal of time outside - all the doorman on the street know one another and immediately pretty much know other building's tenants also. Its true you lose a certain amount of privacy - I live on street level and its disconcerting when I exit to have the doorman already holding open the door for us (I guess he heard us preparing to go). I certainly couldn't have a meth lab or grow shed going on

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
I love having a doorman. I live in a small pre-war (19 units) so the 4 doorman (16 hr coverage) do everything from opening and closing an elderly residents windows to sorting and delivering mail. My friend in Chelsea lives in the parlor floor of a brownstone and is stuck inside all day sometimes waiting for the UPS man. They also collect each and every tenants garbage which is left just inside the door, they spend a good deal of time outside - all the doorman on the street know one another and immediately pretty much know other building's tenants also. Its true you lose a certain amount of privacy - I live on street level and its disconcerting when I exit to have the doorman already holding open the door for us (I guess he heard us preparing to go). I certainly couldn't have a meth lab or grow shed going on
Wow! Quite a large laundry list for that poor doorman! Hopefully you guys give him a great tip!

Out of curiosity, are they allowed to preempt the mailman's job as you describe above? How about the porter's job also? Isn't the doorman's union against some of these assignments?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi777 View Post
I agree with all the positive reasons you may want to have a doorman, HOWEVER, I have had them for 17 years and in my building at least, they are basically useless - have their hands out all the time (and we tip generously), have nasty attitudes and are in your business. I'd prefer not to have them in next apartment when I move. It's just a personal preference.
Which goes to show that there are doormen, and there are doormen. The building I live in (it's TRUE: there are apartment houses in Brooklyn with doormen!) happens to have a 24-hour doorman service. It's a nice little amenity I find you can get used to very quickly--moreso when they aren't useless and standing around with their hands out, as apparently Heidi777 has experienced.

Heidi, I suggest to talk to the building's management. And if they won't talk to you directly, go the registered letter route.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,563 times
Packages, Dry Cleaning, Security; in that order.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Packages, Dry Cleaning, Security; in that order.
yup, also help while moving furniture in and out of the bldg, or holding the door open when you've got 6 grocery bags, notify you of visitors,
getting you in when you misplace your keys, etc..

i used to buy my doorman beer whenever i made a run
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City