Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

what part of Connecticut directly overlooks the LI sound from the Nassau/Suffolk border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Default A better question--

when i went to Sherwood Island park in Westport, Ct and looked across the LI sound, was i looking at Nassau or Suffolk County in LI?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
what part of Connecticut directly overlooks the LI sound from the Nassau/Suffolk border?
Fairfield County, I believe.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Default what town

in Fairfield Co?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
As my name suggests, I am from St. Louis.
St. Louis suffers from a major inferiority complex, mostly coming from the suburbs. In that, the "push west" has gotten strong over the years. West St. Louis County (St Louis is an independent city and is not merged with the county) attracts business.. Huge office parks, businesses moving from downtown and 25 miles out into the burbs. As an urbanite, it annoys me. I come to you, New Yorkers, to get some answers.

#1. Are there several suburbs stretched around NYC that try to take business and entertainment options away from the city?

#2. Does the typical suburbanite around NYC have a fear of the city? Did you live in the burbs and people looked at you like you were nuts for wanting to move to the city? Does the typical suburbanite think that you must fight for your life every day and be heavily armed to walk from your condo to a grocery store?

I was just wondering because obviously, NYC is a world class city. Are the suburbanites there smart enough to know that NYC has a little bit of everything in its neighborhoods? Dangerous, safe, etc? St. Louis Countians don't.

Of course, St. Louis received our designation as "America's Most Dangerous City" a couple years back...so, does that come in to play, or do you believe it is a suburban attitude as a whole?
The city absolutely does not suffer an "inferiority complex" with regard to the suburbs. Quite the opposite, in fact. Manhattan residents have a derisive term for suburbanites who come to the city for entertainment: "Bridge and Tunnel Crowd"

The city is still a very important center of business. Manhattan has commuter access that can't be found in the burbs, and has prestige as a business address.

However, the suburbs have corporate HQs and major employers too. Because of commuting issues, if you work in Jersey -- you probably live in Jersey. If you work on Long Island, you probably live there. Manhattan workers come from all over, because the commuter trains all lead there from the surburbs.

The metro is so big compared to a mid-sized metro like St. Louis, that it is nearly impossible to commute one end to the other. For example, if you live in Suffolk County, Long Island, forget about accepting a job in Westchester - unless you want to spend 3 hours getting to and from work!

Regarding city vs. suburbs attitudes, I don't think that one group is necessarily coveting the others' lifestyle. If one stays in a particular area when he'd rather live somewhere else, this is usually due to affordability related to living space, schools, and again, the ever-present commute. Some city residents and suburbanites think each of his lifestyles is superior to the other. Search this forum for some of the arguments

Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
NYC region will likely face a few changes in next few yrs....in era of a changed financial industry; higher taxes on affluent; more street crime; and many affluent considering moving out of NY to lower-tax, lower-cost Greenwich

Need to consider that some 40% of NY's tax revenue is derived from financial industry....some 40% of NYC region's biggest hedge funds are already based in Greenwich (largely b/c of lower state inc taxes, less regulation and nr homes of many senior executives)

Financial industry is fairly virtual and global....and can easily move to suburbs...or to states w/more favorable taxes (e.g., IL or TX)....and closer to leafy suburbs in which many senior execs w/families prefer to reside anyway

Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM

356 posts, read 808,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
As my name suggests, I am from St. Louis.
St. Louis suffers from a major inferiority complex, mostly coming from the suburbs. In that, the "push west" has gotten strong over the years. West St. Louis County (St Louis is an independent city and is not merged with the county) attracts business.. Huge office parks, businesses moving from downtown and 25 miles out into the burbs. As an urbanite, it annoys me. I come to you, New Yorkers, to get some answers.

#1. Are there several suburbs stretched around NYC that try to take business and entertainment options away from the city?

#2. Does the typical suburbanite around NYC have a fear of the city? Did you live in the burbs and people looked at you like you were nuts for wanting to move to the city? Does the typical suburbanite think that you must fight for your life every day and be heavily armed to walk from your condo to a grocery store?

I was just wondering because obviously, NYC is a world class city. Are the suburbanites there smart enough to know that NYC has a little bit of everything in its neighborhoods? Dangerous, safe, etc? St. Louis Countians don't.

Of course, St. Louis received our designation as "America's Most Dangerous City" a couple years back...so, does that come in to play, or do you believe it is a suburban attitude as a whole?
I consider Piscattaway, NJ to Bridgeport, CT to be Metro NY.

But the City is just the city.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Why not then just define

the NY metro areas as going from "exit 10 on the New Jersey Tpke(Piscataway) to exit 26 on the Connecticut Turnpike(Bridgeport)?!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
Stamford and everything east of it face Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
when i went to Sherwood Island park in Westport, Ct and looked across the LI sound, was i looking at Nassau or Suffolk County in LI?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
The city absolutely does not suffer an "inferiority complex" with regard to the suburbs. Quite the opposite, in fact. Manhattan residents have a derisive term for suburbanites who come to the city for entertainment: "Bridge and Tunnel Crowd"

The city is still a very important center of business. Manhattan has commuter access that can't be found in the burbs, and has prestige as a business address.

However, the suburbs have corporate HQs and major employers too. Because of commuting issues, if you work in Jersey -- you probably live in Jersey. If you work on Long Island, you probably live there. Manhattan workers come from all over, because the commuter trains all lead there from the surburbs.

The metro is so big compared to a mid-sized metro like St. Louis, that it is nearly impossible to commute one end to the other. For example, if you live in Suffolk County, Long Island, forget about accepting a job in Westchester - unless you want to spend 3 hours getting to and from work!

Regarding city vs. suburbs attitudes, I don't think that one group is necessarily coveting the others' lifestyle. If one stays in a particular area when he'd rather live somewhere else, this is usually due to affordability related to living space, schools, and again, the ever-present commute. Some city residents and suburbanites think each of his lifestyles is superior to the other. Search this forum for some of the arguments

Wow, I'm impressed!

An even handed assessment of the NY metro. Who would have guessed?
This is a rare commodity in the provincial mine field of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City