Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM

122 posts, read 381,712 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering how people of different backgrounds generally get along in staten island? Would an interracial couple be comfortable???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM

181 posts, read 635,298 times
I am a mixed race female, who lived on Staten Island, St George. I don't think you will have any problems. Just stay away from the poorer sections - bec there everyone has problems.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM

718 posts, read 2,324,558 times
Yes you will be fine. Despite all the negativity surrounding the place, there is an extreme amount of diversity. There are Italians, Russians, Blacks, Sri Lankans, Puerto Ricans, Irish, etc and economic backgrounds range from dirt poor to filthy rich. People on Staten Island, more than most places in America, tend to have a strong sense of where they come from, and respect will go a long way.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Yes you will be fine. Despite all the negativity surrounding the place, there is an extreme amount of diversity. There are Italians, Russians, Blacks, Sri Lankans, Puerto Ricans, Irish, etc and economic backgrounds range from dirt poor to filthy rich. People on Staten Island, more than most places in America, tend to have a strong sense of where they come from, and respect will go a long way.
For the uninformed on SI such as myself and probably 95% (rough guesstimate) of those on this forum, what are the more diverse but still nice neighborhoods in SI? I ask this because many including myself would assume perhaps incorrectly, that a mixed race couple would not be treated warmly in the heart of Italian-American SI.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
yeah, i know like 95% of em lol

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM

718 posts, read 2,324,558 times
North of Great Kills I cant imagine many people bothering a mixed race couple. South Shore SI can be a bit old school but half the trouble making kids are a walking contradiction who listen to Lil Wayne.

People get too hung up on places like Staten Island and Howard Beach. If you got in a bad car accident on their block theyd be the first to help you out. Many of these people are the salt of the earth. You wouldnt think this because spineless outsiders use these people as scapegoats for their own closet racism, and they blow isolated incidents out of proportion. But the truth is there have been isolated incidents against every group by each and every group. There is much worse racism in other Northeastern metropolitan areas, but these people are spineless and keep their feelings behind closed doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
For the uninformed on SI such as myself and probably 95% (rough guesstimate) of those on this forum, what are the more diverse but still nice neighborhoods in SI? I ask this because many including myself would assume perhaps incorrectly, that a mixed race couple would not be treated warmly in the heart of Italian-American SI.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,889 times
Default Is Castletons Corner a nice place to live?

Hi there,,,married with two kids,,,thinking about buying a home in Castletons Corner. Looks nice,,schools are statistically good,,,,,,,but I'm not sold yet. So I was hopin to get the real deal on the nieghbirhood from natives.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,370 times
I don't believe that an interracial couple would be accepted well on the SOuth Shore, and not so sure anymore of the other areas. Moderator cut: Not necessary There is a HUGE prescription drug problem here too. I would STEER CLEAR of Staten Island. I myselr am trying to reclocate FAR away from here. I have lived here for 18 yrs and it just gets worse and worse each day.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-27-2009 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Not necessary -- thanks.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
South Shore, definetly not.
Bay Terrace, Great Kills, Eltingville

North Shore, absolutely
Port Richmond, Westerleigh, Silver lake

I lived in both,
grew up in South (hated it)
Married in North (so much better)

Old 05-29-2009, 07:45 PM

59 posts, read 253,674 times
Have to agree with nightcrawler on that answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City