Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 AM

66 posts, read 202,377 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone!

I'm a new entry in this forum. I live in Sardinia, Italy, it's a very nice island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardinia) So, I spent a month in NYC six months ago, I really loved it! Great time over there. I miss it so much! I also visited Wahington D.C. and Philadelphia. Lately I worked in London UK for a couple of months, nice city but everyday cloudy, never you can see the sun! So I'm thinking to move to U.S. and the places I'm considering New York City, as I found that city very nice. I'm 25 years old and I'm not married and no kids.

Can you please give me some important info? Which are the main fields of job over there? Are there many opportunity for getting a job? Are there many immigrant? And Illegal immigrant? What about crime? I noticed many cops! Good! All five boroughs were so covered of cops. Is it expensive living in NYC? Like housing and taxes? Public trasportation was good I know. How are people there? I found people are very friendly, but I was just on vacation so I don't know if living is different. Are you people satisfed to live in New York city?

Thanks a lot, I hope there is somebody who can give give me some info
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
New York, like anywhere else, has it good qualities and its bad qualities. But only more so, because it is such a unique place.

There are tons of immigrants here. You get to meet people from all over the world. You hear their languages. Of course there are illegal immigrants here. They are everywhere in the country. Many may mooch services, but many come for a better life, and contribute a lot to the areas they live in.

New York offers world class arts, shopping and diversity. It is also pretty safe for a large city. But there is still crime. There is economic disparity and also the the knowledge that New York is a target for terrorists. There is also a lot of dirt, pollution and ugly buildings. The congestion is intense, which is annoying and noisy. It creates a lot of wasted time and stress while traveling from one place to another. More importantly, however, it would make evacuation impossible in the event of an emergency, such as a major hurricane. Major hurricanes are very rare here, but they can happen. Also, in spite of New York's indifference to earthquakes, a major earthquake is not impossible here. Such disasters are possible, but rare. But think of the problem of evacuation, in view of the congestion and the huge number of people who do not speak or understand English! Not to mention New York's dependence on bridge and tunnels. Only the Bronx is on the mainland of the continent.

People can be friendly and helpful, but New Yorkers tend to be guarded and self-contained. New York can be a lonely place if you do not seek your own communities, e.g., clubs, recreational organizations, ethnic organizations, service organizations, etc. Drivers are often extremely rude.

The cost of living is very high. You can get by with relatively little money, if you want to live in undesirable areas and/or share living space with friends. There is plenty to do that is inexpensive or even free, both in Manhattan and in the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx). There are local arts and exhibits, and there are the parks.

The ocean is nearby, and you can drive to mountains and rural areas in about 2 hours.

The climate is not ideal. It is cold and windy in the winter, hot and humid in the summer.

Jobs are plentiful, I think, but you have to be eligible to work in the US. Job applications demand that you are eligible.

In all, New York is a great city for foreigners, because diversity and immigration are big parts of the city's identity.

Am I satisfied to live in New York? Yes and no. I was born here and have lived most of my life here. I've moved elsewhere and then returned. But now I am seriously thinking of moving to Vermont. Why? For various reasons, including a desire to move to a less congested, more rural place. But I don't want to be too far from NYC!

Good luck!

Last edited by arel; 03-07-2007 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Arel, that was a pretty good assessment...

Matts, if you were looking for areas within NYC with a large Italian population, there are several. Queens has Howard Beach, South Ozone Park and Middle Village. Brooklyn has Bensonhurst and small parts of Greenpoint, the Bronx has Throgs Neck and the blocks around Arthur Ave, Manhattan has Little Italy and you certainly will not go wrong with the majority of areas in Staten island.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 PM

67 posts, read 64,957 times
Have you concidered other states, NYC is wonderful but the neighborhoods have changed Bensonhurst in longer a predominantly Italian neighborhood, it was when I was growing up but not anymore and I cannot speak for any of the other neighborhoods. It is also very expensive to live but salaries are very good and any and all jobs are available somewhere in the city you just have to look. Charlotte is a beautiful city smaller than Manahattan but the weather is great! hardly snows here and the winters are mild, today in NY is about 20 degrees and in Charlotte it is high 60's. The job market is not as abundant but the housing is alot cheaper, you may never be able to own something in NY but here you can! It's worth a visit before making any decisions....BTW I am Italian originally from Bensonhurst in Brooklyn and now live in North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: