Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 03:57 AM

38 posts, read 144,725 times

Advertisements

My wife will be starting work in January at the Courthouse on Chambers St.
Anyone know of any parking garages within walking distance and prices?
thanks
Aj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 08:05 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
There are lots all over lower Manhattan. I know there are ones on Barclay, Park Place and Worth Street which are all around the courthouse. I can also tell you they offer monthly rates which are more reasonable. If I remember correctly I think it was about $300. a month. Just wondering, where will she be driving in from and is mass transit an option. Getting in and out of lower Manhattan during rush hours can be stressfull at best.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I can't believe your wife WANTS to drive to work in lower Manhattan every day. Mass transit is the way to go. Really. You must have money to burn! And, obviously, it's not important that you have any time to see each other.

Seriously - the traffic is AWFUL down there, the parking is expensive, plus there's the bridge/tunnel toll....

Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 PM

38 posts, read 144,725 times
Default driving into the city

Believe me I hear you. I owned a business in the city for over 20 years and I drove in every day.

The problem in Westchester is getting a parking spot at the train lots, then add Metro north & Mass transit costs ( no tolls taking the Deegan to the willis ave) we only live 25 miles away so without traffic the ride is about 35 minutes to midtown, I've told her an hour, 15 minutes will be normal for her.

She will get a small stipend from the Fed also and she will only work until
3:30, 3 days a week

Right now we're looking at all options.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:58 PM

58 posts, read 416,872 times
Default Driving in lower Manhattan

As a retired New York City Police Officer and one who has chauffeured several corporate executives at different times since my retirement I would discourage your wife from this. Lower Manhattan can be difficult for the best of drivers. Getting into and out is always a challenge, but there are as others have said many garages. Before signing a monthly maybe she should try it for a week or so first.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:04 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
I would even suggest that if she feels she has to drive in then to park uptown very near a subway station. West 96th street is perfect there are two stations on the west side and both lines, A and C, go to Chambers. If traffic is bad on the Henry Hudson, then she can skip it enitrely and go over to the East side and cross through the park without much hassle and be right where she wants to be. She'd avoid midtown and downtown traffic plus she'd be going to and from the car in a good neighborhood.

This would save her a world of time and a lot of headaches. I will only go south of Houston on Sundays and holidays. Any time else is just a nightmare.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:59 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,151 times
I like the recommendation about parking uptown near a subway station, that isn't a bad idea at all. My cousin works downtown, he pays $450/month for a spot, his employer splits the cost with him. I would recommend driving into the city on a Sunday and scoping it out.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 17,135 times
Default http://www.NYCGarages.com

I use a great website, http://www.NYCGarages.com. You can compare locations and price rates for all parking garages in Manhattan. Lower Manhattan / Downtown / West Village / East Village is included too. The website supports daily and monthly parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: