Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
not every person born in NYC has an accent. i am the 3rd generation and my mom taught me to speak more proper. i also grew up in a diverse neighborhood- not just white people, which makes a huge difference. That is why Staten Island has the strongest accent- its the least diverse. Believe me- the Brooklyn accent is very much dying.
That's true.

I have met people down here who I didn't know were from NYC until they told me they were. A lot of people from Queens talk Vallyish. Even in Manhattan, tons of people don't have a stereotypical NYC accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I've found the NY accent is most noticeable and prevalent in southern Brooklyn and Staten Island--areas still populated for the most part by generational New Yorkers and few transplants. That's why almost nobody in Manhattan talks with an NY accent until you at least get up towards Harlem.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM

172 posts, read 410,219 times
Quote:
not every person born in NYC has an accent. i am the 3rd generation and my mom taught me to speak more proper. i also grew up in a diverse neighborhood- not just white people, which makes a huge difference. That is why Staten Island has the strongest accent- its the least diverse. Believe me- the Brooklyn accent is very much dying.
Haha, how proper!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
I read an article in the NY Post about a year ago where they had some expert accent guy saying that there are no distinct borough accents, that that's just people looking for pride within their individual boroughs. He said that the city as a whole shares an accent but of course it is fading. It's about extinct in Manhattan with all the transplants and is strongest on Staten Island because of the large amount of white people who have been in NYC for generations. I'm sure the same is true for certain parts of Brooklyn and Queens. I have always noticed that many blacks and hispanics seem to have somewhat watered down versions of the accent, as do white people who grew up in diverse settings. Regardless of the accent in question I think it's pretty safe to say that to really cultivate an extremely thick one it takes a pretty isolated setting filled with a lot of people who talk exactly the same way.

Oh, accent expert dude also said that the accent as a whole loses strength with each passing generation as new immigrants move in and shake it up and older New Yorkers die and move away.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM

125 posts, read 333,734 times
I'd say Staten Island is where the accent thrives more than any where else in the NYC region. Other than Harlem, Manhattan is far too universal to have an accent anymore. A lot of the older generations that stuck around still got it.. That's if they aren't in Jersey/FL/NC yet.

Staten Island is a mix because a lot of the growth in SI came from Brooklyn. Brooklyn comes 2nd when it comes to people with a thick accent- Brooklyn is what basically made the accent so popular.

The Bronx is losing it more and more these days. The accent is still heard all around the borough nonetheless.

Parts of Northern NJ have it strong. I know the people from the Meadowlands/Southern Bergen County area (Lyndhurst, Rutherford, Kearny, Lodi etc) can have a thick accent... Queens/Nassau is pretty similar to NNJ if you ask me.
~

BTW, I don't really think you can depict a persons NY accent. I see different variations WITHIN Staten Island. It's really bizarre tell someone they have a "Brooklyn" or "Jersey" accent.. How about a "Lodi" or a "Bushwick" accent.. It's ridiculous.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
I read an article in the NY Post about a year ago where they had some expert accent guy saying that there are no distinct borough accents, that that's just people looking for pride within their individual boroughs. He said that the city as a whole shares an accent but of course it is fading. It's about extinct in Manhattan with all the transplants and is strongest on Staten Island because of the large amount of white people who have been in NYC for generations. I'm sure the same is true for certain parts of Brooklyn and Queens. I have always noticed that many blacks and hispanics seem to have somewhat watered down versions of the accent, as do white people who grew up in diverse setting.

I rarely hear the New york accent from blacks. Most seem to have an AAVE accent unless they are very well educated. It's interesting you can often times recognize a black poster on this forum from the words he uses, his sentence structure or style of writing. Two noticeable exceptions are Queensgrl and Seventh Floor.

Last edited by 1nevets; 01-05-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I rarely hear the New york accent from blacks. Most seem to have an AAVE accent unless they are very well educated. It's interesting you can often times recognize a black poster on this forum from the words he uses, his sentence structure or style of writing. Two noticeable exceptions are Queensgirl and Seventh Floor.
New York blacks and Hispanics sound alike. Why are you singling out blacks?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
New York blacks and Hispanics sound alike. Why are you singling out blacks?
Not really. Latinos clearly have a spanish accent. I know several Puerto Ricans who do not speak Spanish yet certain vowels have a Spanish "twang." You can also detect which country or island their parents originated. 2nd generation Mexicans clearly sound different from Argentinians or Cubans or Salvadoreans. The best way to hear an accent is by listening to a person on a phone. Talking face to face can corrupt your perception of what you are hearing because other issues come into play.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 AM

357 posts, read 727,678 times
Quote:

Wrong.
You may not speak like everyone else around you speaks, but everyone has an accent of some sort. Speak your English in Cardiff, Brisbane, Lagos, Port-of-Spain, or Nashville, and you will be the outsider with a funny accent.

That old Brooklyn accent that used to be characteristic of the Jews, Italians, and Irish almost gone. But there are still several accents in this city. Speaking proper does not mean speaking without an "accent". It just means not shortening your words and not using excessive slang.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
when I went out of town to college, I remember someone telling me they thought I was from manhattan, not brooklyn.

I am not sure if that was cause

A. My NYC accent was relatively light, in part cause my dad was from philly

B. I had spent 3 years attending HS in manhattan

C. Being Jewish and not Catholic, my accent had a little Yiddish in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City