Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by each one help one View Post
I stopped paying rent for 3 months, and forced me out 3 months after the court date.
So, you lived 6 months rent free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
So, you lived 6 months rent free?
Yep...she lived 6 months free. And yet people say us landlords are the evil ones. LMAO

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 107,448 times
Mr. Victor Fox,

I am a non-smoker. I was just saying that I can see from the view point of the landlord and tenants in the renting process. If you see someone who may not be a good tenant from a first appearance, there are subtle ways to decline their application-----but make it justifiable and with good cause.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:10 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by each one help one View Post
Mr. Victor Fox,

I am a non-smoker. I was just saying that I can see from the view point of the landlord and tenants in the renting process. If you see someone who may not be a good tenant from a first appearance, there are subtle ways to decline their application-----but make it justifiable and with good cause.
And thats what I do Each One. I'm not looking for a law suit by these low-lives looking for housing and a quick buck. I act very professional and reject them with good cause. Many ghetto people have poor credit so thats an easy way to reject them. Many ghetto people also have criminal records that will pop up giving me more amo to reject them. The bottomline is I just refuse renting to ghetto people period. I have stories galore on how these people act and carry themselves. It just baffles my mind and makes you wonder if they ever take a look in the mirror to see how they are. Simply amazing!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 PM

164 posts, read 347,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx Queen View Post
I read the section I ads quite frequetly and what I am noticing is that the landlords that will accept the program ask that your salary be 40x the rent (example: rent:$1500.00 x 40=$60,000.00). If I make $60,000.00 then I wouldn't be eligible for section 8 in the first place. This is how the landlords are weeding people out....which is not fair. If you call any lawyer in NYC they will tell you that it's legal I think it's a bunch of Mod cut: languageif you ask me. I am also seeing that the nicer buildings that are in Midtown that are actually affordable the Management Companies are telling people that the waiting list is 15-20 years long. The messed up part of this whole Section 8 ordeal is that they only give you 6 months to find an apartment. The landlords that take the section 8 without a problem or any stipulations are usually SLUM LORDS!!! If you have the section 8 apartment list by borough paper and you go to the site nyc.gov/hpd you can look up the address of the buildings and it will tell you how many VIOLATIONS THE LANDLORD HAS. I have seen so far landlord's with as many as 139 VIOLATIONS. Why would I want to live in this building this means that the landlord's not going to fix anything....he/she is just going to collect their rent check. NYC is just on some next level Mod cut: language . They now have this new program that allows voucher holders to move into the pj's with their voucher but the catch 22 is that the projects that are somewhat decent are not on the damn list of the 21 developements. The best one that I've seen in Manhattan is Wise Towers but they never come up when you have to pick, in The Bronx it's Marble Hill but you have to catch it on the list. I have tried midtown west to the uppers west from 54th & 11th Avenue to 99th and Amsterdam Avenue and the landlords that say yes charge well over the voucher amount and section 8 will not allow that at all. It's almost like saying we're going to grant you this voucher but you can only live in the most jacked up neighborhoods and like I said before there is not one lawyer that will back you when it comes to landlord discrimination. What is a person to do to get an apartment around her in NYC. Good Luck to anyone searching for a section 8 apartment like myself
Well, I live in Los Angeles and was thinking of moving to New York. I work at Target and was told that i can transfer because im such a good worker and im a team leader. Im currently in school, but CA is so cash strapped, that its state universities aren't taking any new students until next year. I graduated and i want to transfer. Also the community colleges here are filled because of the illegals. There are literally 200 students trying to fill a class of 40. I dont want to move in a bad neighborhood. If Landlords are really requiring people with vouchers to have 40 times the salary compared to the rent, then that is a major blow to the city legislation. My god that is just wrong evil. You guys have a major problem down there and Los Angeles could never compare. I hope the city find away to address this problem of income requirements because its just wrong and the homeless epidemic in your city will persist and get worst as rent continue to climb.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
Well, I live in Los Angeles and was thinking of moving to New York. I work at Target and was told that i can transfer because im such a good worker and im a team leader. Im currently in school, but CA is so cash strapped, that its state universities aren't taking any new students until next year. I graduated and i want to transfer. Also the community colleges here are filled because of the illegals. There are literally 200 students trying to fill a class of 40. I dont want to move in a bad neighborhood. If Landlords are really requiring people with vouchers to have 40 times the salary compared to the rent, then that is a major blow to the city legislation. My god that is just wrong evil. You guys have a major problem down there and Los Angeles could never compare. I hope the city find away to address this problem of income requirements because its just wrong and the homeless epidemic in your city will persist and get worst as rent continue to climb.
The 40x rule is perfectly fine. For those who find it to be too strict can move to another state. Maybe NY is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City