Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,621,035 times

Advertisements

You should have been to both cities. London is very dirty and strange smells are common. The rundown buildings makes the experience worse. Even nicer parts of the city leaves a lot to be desired compared to other major European cities. NYC must have improved a bit compared to a few decades ago.

I don't see how it can become like Vienna any time soon. Then again you have to consider the size and diversity. After all, the people make a city. There's only so much sanitation departments can do.

Clean streets - healthy streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I don't see how it can become like Vienna any time soon. Then again you have to consider the size and diversity. After all, the people make a city. There's only so much sanitation departments can do.
Then again, New York neither needs nor wants to become like Vienna.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM

99 posts, read 348,230 times
Yes, London is grubby; however, don't forget how old many of the buildings are!! Most of what London has to offer is based on its history so making it clean and modern wouldn't really be appropriate. Plus, anything that ever gets cleaned up here, gets trashed again by the chavtastic people of this country. So yes, NYC is cleaner than London.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,246,602 times
It all depends upon perspective, since each city is large and diverse. There are beautiful parts of London that don't fit the stereotype of a dirty, decrepit, smelly city such as Kensignton, Mayfair, etc. And, then there are parts that are akin to the inner city neighborhoods in New York that also have their share of dirty streets and questionable buildings. It's difficult to say that one is cleaner than the other, since it depends upon where you make the comparison, since both have cleaner areas that are comparable, and some areas that do not meet the same standard.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Then again, New York neither needs nor wants to become like Vienna.
I didn't say it needs or wants to be like Vienna.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahona View Post
Yes, London is grubby; however, don't forget how old many of the buildings are!! Most of what London has to offer is based on its history so making it clean and modern wouldn't really be appropriate. Plus, anything that ever gets cleaned up here, gets trashed again by the chavtastic people of this country. So yes, NYC is cleaner than London.
There are old buildings in many cities. Budapest too. There's still not nearly as much litter and smell.

Oldness is no excuse. You're right regarding the chavs. Yob culture prevails in Britain. Even the most affluent towns in the Cotswolds is full of them.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You're right regarding the chavs. Yob culture prevails in Britain. Even the most affluent towns in the Cotswolds is full of them.
That's why I'm leaving! YAY! NYC here I come....

Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That's why I'm leaving! YAY! NYC here I come....
Brits do emigrate in droves. Are you living in London?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Brits do emigrate in droves. Are you living in London?
Yes, I live in North London at the moment but I am moving to NYC next week! (I have dual citizenship)

Old 01-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, I live in North London at the moment but I am moving to NYC next week! (I have dual citizenship)
That's great! I used to work in Maida Vale and St Johns Wood in northwest London. Don't get me wrong. There are nice places in London. My aunt lives in Hampstead which is quite nice. But you get very little for what you pay for in London. When you get there it would be cool if you could compare life in NYC compared to London.

I should mention, for those who don't know, there's a reason why there are so few litter bins in London. Most were removed after the IRA attacks in the 1990s over fears bombs could be concealed in them. They have been reinstated since then. But there are still not enough and that's only a small part of the problem anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City