Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM

25 posts, read 71,068 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm a 23yr.old recent Univ. of S.Carolina grad. Me, my best friend, along w/ one of our other good friends, are planning to move to brooklyn early next year.

we've been apt. hunting on craigslist a lot, but I have to admit that a lot of the ads on there just look like scams. Are we wastin our time? I've been doing some personal research and it looks like brokers are the ppl to stay away from, you have to have good credit, i've even heard that if you don't have a job its better to start off subleasing for a while. but with the 3 of us moving...can we sublease...esp. when we rather just rent?

Does anyone have some sound advice on steps to take for 3 young professional ladies moving to brooklyn. I really liked the ridge bay area of the bk borough...is it unrealistic to want to move there? My friend lives in east flatbush...should we look there?

Also, I plan to apply to some waitressing/bartending jobs in nyc, but should i start now in order to even be considered to move into an apt.? if i don't have a job when i arrive in nyc(b/c our plans were to get jobs once we move there) am i screwed? i currently work as a grad intern here in sc roughly making about $17k/yr. i'm applying to Columbia Univ. and NYU for fall 2009 to do a dual-degree in journalism & business... which is my main reason for wanting to move to new york city. i have my BA in journalism, but SC's economy is...well...it sucks! i've been here for 8 yrs....i need a change...and i don't have my head in the clouds, but ever since first visiting nyc last summer, i've been wanting to move there. and i'm 23 w/ no kids and i'm not married, so i feel this is the perfect time to go.

i've visited brooklyn twice within the last year...and I'm sure I want to make the move, but I just need some sound advice from natives to make sure I have a smooth transition. I NEED a smooth transition esp. since I'm currently working 2 jobs(reporting gig & bartending) all while studying for the GRE and applying to grad schools.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchristine View Post
Hi all!

Does anyone have some sound advice on steps to take for 3 young professional ladies moving to brooklyn. I really liked the ridge bay area of the bk borough...is it unrealistic to want to move there? My friend lives in east flatbush...should we look there?

Thanks!
Lol. That's one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Dont let East Flatbush even cross your mind. A nice southern gal from S. Carolina coming to Brooklyn and being thrown to a pack of wolves...a concrete jungle, with tenements and projects, where everybody is African American and West Indian and drugs and gangs flourish etc...

Bay Ridge is a better neighborhood. I am not to familiar with Brooklyn so I cannot help you entirely. But just felt I had to respond to the bolded statement.

Good Luck

Old 10-15-2008, 02:13 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Lol. That's one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Dont let East Flatbush even cross your mind. A nice southern gal from S. Carolina coming to Brooklyn and being thrown to a pack of wolves...a concrete jungle, with tenements and projects, where everybody is African American and West Indian and drugs and gangs flourish etc...

Bay Ridge is a better neighborhood. I am not to familiar with Brooklyn so I cannot help you entirely. But just felt I had to respond to the bolded statement.

Good Luck
Damn bro, how do you know she is not Black?! There are a lot of Black people from South Carolina too.

Talk about making assumptions.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Damn bro, how do you know she is not Black?! There are a lot of Black people from South Carolina too.

You're right. But I mostly meant that it has a very carribean foreign feel to it. There are alot of Haitians, Jamaicans, Guyanese etc in the neighborhood and as you know African Americans dont really have anything in common with them.

I would say the same thing about Washington Heights and Mott Haven.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Good Luck
Thanks for the heads up! Actually I am African-American and I don't think living around diversity would be a problem...but flourishing drugs n gangs...WOW...thanks for the heads up! I went to visit my friend who's lived in east flatbush for 8 yrs. now...he says its quiet on his block, but the probablity of me moving where he lives is unlikely...and from what I saw it did seem ghetto. i stayed w/ him for about 3-4 days...and it was quiet, but definitely NOT south carolina like...lol. ya'll keep me away from the wolves...PLZ!

Thank you for the advice again!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You're right. But I mostly meant that it has a very carribean foreign feel to it. There are alot of Haitians, Jamaicans, Guyanese etc in the neighborhood and as you know African Americans dont really have anything in common with them.

I would say the same thing about Washington Heights and Mott Haven.
Can't say I disagree with you there.

But the poster is in for a major demographics change regardless coming from South Carolina.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Hahaha....trust me no offense was taken I think I got his drift. I've lived in neighborhoods where whites were the majority and others where there were lots of blacks...different idiosyncrasies from both areas...but like I said...I think diversity teaches you about life...so I don't have a problem w/ it...plus living in s.carolina you can't have a problem w/ it...b/c young, black women like myself are certainly not the accepted majority in this state.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Can't say I disagree with you there.

But the poster is in for a major demographics change regardless coming from South Carolina.
^^^please explain...i mean i've been to brooklyn, manhattan, harlem,etc...and yes there are LOTS of different types of ppl...but u don't think that would make living there unejoyable do u?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchristine View Post
^^^please explain...i mean i've been to brooklyn, manhattan, harlem,etc...and yes there are LOTS of different types of ppl...but u don't think that would make living there unejoyable do u?
No, what I simply meant was that there are all kinds of people in NYC.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
No, what I simply meant was that there are all kinds of people in NYC.
tru indeedy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City