Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:16 PM

25 posts, read 146,070 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help me out with. I am a 23 year old gay white male who is looking to move to Washington Heights(around 180th/181st) somewhere between broadway and cabrini. Is it safe? I am sure just like any part of the city there are shady things going on but generally speaking is it safe to just go about my business at any time of the day or night? I am definitely still into the whole party scene in midtown/downtown so I will probably be riding the A train at 4 am once a week or so. Is that a stupid thing to do? I lived on 42nd street and I obviously never encountered any problems so this move makes me a bit nervous. Is it safe to go outside at 4 am to the deli to get a snack? I just want to be completely comfortable and not scared every time i go down to the subway or walk around the neighborhood. Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,987,431 times
Washington Heights is a neighborhood with a bad reputation and alot of quality of life issues. But crime has decreased in the neighborhood. The areas east of Broadway are the worst areas. Lots of garbage, graffiti, loitering and drugs. The population is almost entirely Dominican. But you're going to be living west of Broadway, which is good. That area becomes Jewish and Irish. You wont have many problems there. Just try not heading east, you'll be in the ghetto.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 PM

215 posts, read 659,188 times
Are there any issues with the housing stock east of Broadway in Washington Heights? Is it all walkups or there's a substantial number of elevator buildings?

Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,987,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
Are there any issues with the housing stock east of Broadway in Washington Heights? Is it all walkups or there's a substantial number of elevator buildings?
Think big 5-6 story tenements, like the Bronx.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,257,610 times
Check out The Gay Recluse (The Gay Recluse). It's a very smart and witty blog written by a guy man and his friends living in Washington Heights.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,824,614 times
I live in the heights and take the subway at all hours! I have never had any problems! I agree with the statement made of most of the problems are quality of life issues as supermario said! That part of Washington Heights is considered desirable and safe!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 PM

730 posts, read 2,048,015 times
Just be careful. Washington Heights is one of the most socially conservative neighborhoods, despite its vibrant character.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,786,889 times
I would just add that 181st Street is VERY busy, so expect a lot of traffic noise. Other than that, it should be fine.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM

730 posts, read 2,048,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I would just add that 181st Street is VERY busy, so expect a lot of traffic noise. Other than that, it should be fine.
Ah yes, especially on afternoons and Saturdays. Many of us Bronxites go to The Heights for shopping, nightlife, and visiting families.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,161,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Washington Heights is a neighborhood with a bad reputation and alot of quality of life issues. But crime has decreased in the neighborhood. The areas east of Broadway are the worst areas. Lots of garbage, graffiti, loitering and drugs. The population is almost entirely Dominican. But you're going to be living west of Broadway, which is good. That area becomes Jewish and Irish. You wont have many problems there. Just try not heading east, you'll be in the ghetto.
Dude Irish? You obviously barely been in the Heights. Irish people haven't been in the heights since the early 80's. lol.

There's still a Jewish presence because of Yeshiva, but the area is overwhelmingly Dominican.

It's not a dangerous neighborhood though. It's loud and dirty (mostly in the summer), but not very dangerous.

OP, have a chimichurri after a late night out partying! They are the best in the heights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: