Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I think we all agree that some Dominicans are black, some Dominicans are white, and most Dominicans are a mix of the two... so why argue this any longer? Though I have met some Dominicans that are undeniably black and some Dominicans that are undeniably white, most Dominicans are visibly mixed.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Why does it matter what a member of an ethnic group chooses to portray as their heritage if it's in their makeup? Why is there such a need by society to classify people as belonging to one group or another? Personally, I don't care what aspect of heritage one claims, but then I look more to the character of the individual than their outward identity.
Great post!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
why does it matter what a member of an ethnic group chooses to portray as their heritage if it's in their makeup? Why is there such a need by society to classify people as belonging to one group or another? Personally, i don't care what aspect of heritage one claims, but then i look more to the character of the individual than their outward identity.
amen

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
But that is the case for most..

Various enclaves here and there in El Cibao aren't gonna cut it.
People in DR look all kinds of ways. Outside of Brazil, I would guesstimate DR is one of the most racially mixed countries in the world. Also some recent studies have actually intimated that the Taino racial component was perhaps under-reported (that would explain some things, my grandmother and great grand-mother on my dad's side had very strong indigenous features).

Perhaps we should officially make a DR race issues thread. It's funny how many threads seem to turn into that conversation.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:32 AM

66 posts, read 305,998 times
I have never really felt compelled to post on a board before this one. But as a NY Dominican who grew up in Washington Heights, I feel I have to clear up certain misconceptions.

I think one of the big problems with some of the assertions on this board is that people are looking at the Dominican population through a prism of historical American race relations. But that is a flawed way of perceiving the population. One of the issues with labeling Dominicans "black" is that not only do you reduce people who primarily identify themselves along cultural and national lines to the color of their skin, but also lump them in with a completely separate and distinct American group, with their own history and culture, African-Americans.

Truth is most Dominicans do not think of themselves as black or white or brown, but as Dominicans, which already serves to separate us from the majority. In fact families tend to be so racially integrated and mixed it is hard to identify along racial lines.
I myself have a light tan complexion, certainly not black, certainly not white. I have a cousin who looks white, has red hair and green eyes, but she is Dominican. My grandfather was very tan and had very indigenous features. He is Dominican. My niece has blonde hair and blue eyes. She is Dominican. So it bothers me to read things about Dominicans not owning up to a certain blackness, because I guarantee you that any Dominican you asked about race would respond that they are Hispanic, Latino, or probably just Dominican. Just because you have dark skin does not mean you identify with blacks, and just because you have white skin does not mean you identify with whites.

This isn't to say that the Dominican Republic doesn't have a history of complex race relations issues, (especially having to do with sharing a border with Haiti), but those are distinct from American ones, and they don't tend to affect our perceptions of people in the same way.

Also since I'm on a board about cities, I'll just say that Washington Heights was a very dangerous neighborhood when I was growing up, but since the mid-90s has been really relatively safe and nice. I don't know that theres areas anywhere in Manhattan anymore that are as bad as what you'd find in parts of Brooklyn and the south Bronx.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM

My sentiments exactly Gxl35.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
I am happy that you all are posting and explaining the racial mixtures in DR, we are all learning a lot. Remember there are just some prejudices out there from different people of all races, that just try to lump everyone together. Keep discussing it and posting to educate others. However don't take it to heart if a few people don't really understand. They have been conditioned in America for over 200 years to look at race in a one-sided way. Black, White, Asian and some think that Latins are a race.

I have a friend that comes from a large Puerto Rican family. Her father is black and has dark skin, her mother is white. Both parents are Puerto Rican. My friend is white with dark curly hair and dark eyes. Some of her siblings appear whiter than her, with lighter colored eyes and hair, some are darker, in between her and her fathers complexion, and different hair textures. Some people may refer to these siblings as Black, some refer to her and the other siblings as white. They are all whole brothers and sisters. They cannot identify culturally with American Black people.

Most people understand the difference, so don't let some prejudices make you believe that most people don't understand the difference. The problem may be that if a person is latin and they appear Black they may be mistaken for a Black American especially if they are alone and not in a Latin neighborhood. I don't have an answer for that. I can't tell a person how to handle that. I once saw a woman in the post office that appeared to be a Black American but she had about 20 buttons all over her shoulder bag and jacket that stated things like "I'm Puerto Rican and proud of it", "Proud Puerto Rican" and other similiar things.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM

48 posts, read 151,602 times
GXl35,

I completely agree.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxl35 View Post
I have never really felt compelled to post on a board before this one. But as a NY Dominican who grew up in Washington Heights, I feel I have to clear up certain misconceptions.

I think one of the big problems with some of the assertions on this board is that people are looking at the Dominican population through a prism of historical American race relations. But that is a flawed way of perceiving the population. One of the issues with labeling Dominicans "black" is that not only do you reduce people who primarily identify themselves along cultural and national lines to the color of their skin, but also lump them in with a completely separate and distinct American group, with their own history and culture, African-Americans.

Truth is most Dominicans do not think of themselves as black or white or brown, but as Dominicans, which already serves to separate us from the majority. In fact families tend to be so racially integrated and mixed it is hard to identify along racial lines.
I myself have a light tan complexion, certainly not black, certainly not white. I have a cousin who looks white, has red hair and green eyes, but she is Dominican. My grandfather was very tan and had very indigenous features. He is Dominican. My niece has blonde hair and blue eyes. She is Dominican. So it bothers me to read things about Dominicans not owning up to a certain blackness, because I guarantee you that any Dominican you asked about race would respond that they are Hispanic, Latino, or probably just Dominican. Just because you have dark skin does not mean you identify with blacks, and just because you have white skin does not mean you identify with whites.

This isn't to say that the Dominican Republic doesn't have a history of complex race relations issues, (especially having to do with sharing a border with Haiti), but those are distinct from American ones, and they don't tend to affect our perceptions of people in the same way.

Also since I'm on a board about cities, I'll just say that Washington Heights was a very dangerous neighborhood when I was growing up, but since the mid-90s has been really relatively safe and nice. I don't know that theres areas anywhere in Manhattan anymore that are as bad as what you'd find in parts of Brooklyn and the south Bronx.

I quite understand the Latin American approach to race. I have had intense exprience in the Latin American community. I lived in Miami and I am mixed, therefore many assumed I was Hispanic. White hispanics generally regarded me as "dark" and darker hispanics in many instances referred to me as a "white person", not Dominican, not Puerto Rican, but as a "white person". Until they found out I wasn't hispanic, at which time I became a black person. Hispanic ideals of race are haphazard and vague to the point of lunacy. It's not about where your from, but where your at. I don't care what country you are from. I can however, look at a group of people when I happen to be a neighborhood etc. where they reside in the majority and give my opinion as to what race or combination of races they look like to me in general. With Dominicans, they look mixed between the negroid and caucazioid races. Comparing them to American born mixed people, I can say with confident certainty that Dominicans are mostly black with a considerable amount of white in them as well.

The fact the Latin Americans argue against anyone assigning them a race label points to the fact that there is a significant amount of race ignorance to avoid acknowledging ones race. The Spaniards set up a racial/color hierarchy which continues to this day. This post-colonial venom has intrenched itself so strongly, it is depressing to watch. Honestly

Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
While I disagree with the characterization of Dominicans because the ones I know, and I know plenty, are very nice, warm and hard-working people. But why do you think Blacks and Puerto Ricans are beneath Domicians and THEY are together because NO a Dominican wouldn't hang with either? First of all if you ever go to a DOminican salon which I do on a weekly basis, you would take note that they're doing black girls' hair all day long hehe. While I know Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are constantly making negative comments about each other, actually it is ALWAYS the MEN I never hear the women making any kind of comments. And the women like the salsa AND merengue but the PR men tend to HATE merengue etc. What is up with yall men thinking you're better than the other? So silly since you often look identical and have the exact same ethnic backgrounds.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City