U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 10,779 times

Advertisements

The area is Beach 59th to Beach 62nd Street and Rockaway Beach Blvd
Arverne, Queens

some of the questions I hope to find out before I move there... if someone knows anything about this area is

1. How safe is it ?
2.what type of community is it ?
3.how is travel ? by car and by subway to downtown manhattan ?

how are the schools for kids ?

I dont want to be living in a place where I can hear gun shots every night and I dont want to feel that someone is following me and trying to mug me every min they cant a chance...

I mean is it decent for living ?

thanks, all opinions welcome.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM

29,776 posts, read 42,540,482 times
you must be thinking about buying at water's edge condominiums.

pros:
cheap and affordable
the beach is a block away
addabbo health clinic is 2 blocks away
post office is 2 blocks away

cons:
no real supermarkets within walking distance
the stores that are within walking distance have people hanging out in front of the all hours of the day and night
several bad apartment complexes nearby (NYCHA, section 8 and private)
the schools suck (if you have children)
Train ride is about 45 minutes to Lower Manhattan
no restaurants
not a safe place to walk around at night
you WILL hear gunshots at night trust me
water's edge is close to the worst part of the Rockaway peninsula
stray dogs

I am a lifetime resident of Far Rockaway. If I lived around there, I would hardly be outside. If you're not used to living in a bad neighborhood, definitely look elsewhere.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM

11 posts, read 90,865 times
Ido not know what area that you are refering to ,but Far Rockaway like any part of nyc has good & bad areas .The bad areas are actually improving & the good areas are just getting more exclusive.The fact that you have the most exlusive shopping in Long Island on Central avenue in Cedarhurst which is next door is a plus.Bayswater has some magnificant exclusive homes in a suburban atmosphere that you would not believe that you are within city limits & a nyc subway train is nearby & west Lawrence is a secluded area expanding into the heart of Far rockaway .The negative is that the A train from manhattan & brooklyn brings in all kinds of riff raff although it has gotten alot better & if you dont want to take the subway which today is no problem with a 45 minute ride into lower manhattan than you can take the LIRR into penn station & if you dont have a car that would take you to brooklyn in 20 minutes other parts of central queens in 15 -20 minutes then you should not have a computer as well .Bottom line for the price you pay in Far rockaway & even The Five Towns you get a hole in Manhattan.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 AM

10 posts, read 42,076 times
That area is a slum and has a very high crime rate (gun fights, drugs, gangs, etc.). People do get killed there. Do not raise a family there. This area went downhill since the 1970's. They should have never let poor people move in.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 AM

9,590 posts, read 19,546,911 times
If you want to live in the Rockaway area check out Belle Harbor section which is past the 120's. It's not cheap though. I don't know what your options are for schools. Most likely Broad Channel High School which is not very good. I doubt the elementary schools are any better because all of the garbage from Far Rockaway will be in there too. Far Rockaway is dangerous, especially at night. Avoid Coney Island too.

If you want to live near the beach, try Brighton Beach or Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn, either that or someplace like Lynbrook in Long Island and you can commute to the city via the LIRR. If you have a car your a 15 minute drive to the beach.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 25,769 times
I live on B. 72 and it is very quite. If you live on Beach Channel Drive you will see and hear things, but off the beaten path you should be ok.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 90,865 times
Bbecause you have a black area ,that makes it bad? most of the black people are from jamaica & haiti & are cultured educated people,that makes it bad?rockaway park with the Moderator cut: poor whites is better?I still rather be in far roc,lawrence ,cedarhurst than the west side rockaway park lower class area any day.Lynbrook that you mentioned does not have nice homes,very bluecollar.Bayswater & west lawrence & ofcourse woodmere ,lawrence & hewlett have beautiful homes,with beautifull shopping as well.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-15-2009 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Language/personal attack

Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM

42 posts, read 783,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
you must be thinking about buying at water's edge condominiums.

pros:
cheap and affordable
the beach is a block away
addabbo health clinic is 2 blocks away
post office is 2 blocks away

cons:
no real supermarkets within walking distance
the stores that are within walking distance have people hanging out in front of the all hours of the day and night
several bad apartment complexes nearby (NYCHA, section 8 and private)
the schools suck (if you have children)
Train ride is about 45 minutes to Lower Manhattan
no restaurants
not a safe place to walk around at night
you WILL hear gunshots at night trust me
water's edge is close to the worst part of the Rockaway peninsula
stray dogs

I am a lifetime resident of Far Rockaway. If I lived around there, I would hardly be outside. If you're not used to living in a bad neighborhood, definitely look elsewhere.
This is so true! I remember I used to work nearby and my co-worker told me there was a stray bullet went through the window and damaged the interior wall; and the bullet hole was only 4 feet away from where she was sitting when she took a break.
But there are some take out Chinese and Caribbean restaurants....

Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 PM

29,776 posts, read 42,540,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortune-tellers View Post
This is so true! I remember I used to work nearby and my co-worker told me there was a stray bullet went through the window and damaged the interior wall; and the bullet hole was only 4 feet away from where she was sitting when she took a break.
But there are some take out Chinese and Caribbean restaurants....
the funny thing is this is where i moved to now. not water's edge, but right next door. but i'm native to the area. so for me its different. i go to the store around here and everything. somebody coming from a different part of NYC might be a little shell-shocked.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,086,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy guttman View Post
Bbecause you have a black area ,that makes it bad? most of the black people are from jamaica & haiti & are cultured educated people,that makes it bad?rockaway park with the Moderator cut: poor whites is better?I still rather be in far roc,lawrence ,cedarhurst than the west side rockaway park lower class area any day.Lynbrook that you mentioned does not have nice homes,very bluecollar.Bayswater & west lawrence & ofcourse woodmere ,lawrence & hewlett have beautiful homes,with beautifull shopping as well.
I grew up in Bayswater... the original poster is talking about moving close to Edgemere... HUGE difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>