Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times

Advertisements

urban america has found a cost effective and politically inoffensive way to deal with crime,
denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,556,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
urban america has found a cost effective and politically inoffensive way to deal with crime,
denial.
Self-denial, perhaps, as it does good to the body and soul. Other denials would accomplish the opposite.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
NooYowkur's like to believe we are the best or the baddest at everything. So depending on where you stand you either think we are the safest big city in the nation or the most dangerous. It's not hard to understand.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 PM

35 posts, read 135,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
I knew you were going to ask that question. Now, of course there is no way for me to answer that. I would like to think that I would stand up and help out, but then again I would think I could get other people to follow me.

One scene in Schindler's List comes always sticks in my mind. The scene where about 20-30 Jews are giving shovels by only 2 nazis to clear a street. I know they where probally weakened, both mentally and physically, but i always thought that they could have taken them.

The thing that people tend to forget in these situations that they are giving permission to the actions around them when they say or do nothing. Now i have challanged groups of people, most of the times kids(no gun), in situations where most people just do nothing. You should really see the face of someone who is doing wrong, and then realizes that someone cares enough to do something about it.

The question that your story raises in my head is, Would I rather risk injury or death to help the helpless; or would I rather have the screams haunt my dreams for the rest of my life?

Good question there. There was an attempted rape outside of my apartment window here in Seattle about 10yrs back. I remember waking up to the screams of the woman and the demands of the men and all I could get myself to do was call the police. I was shaking and scared inside of my locked apartment and later I felt pathetic.

To this day I curse myself for not going outside after calling 911. At least in my case, the police were there in seconds. They did their job, but I felt like I failed as a person.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 AM

415 posts, read 1,392,764 times
When I was in college the apartment next door was broken into and the girl was raped. The rapist Mod cut: language put the boyfriend in the closet and told him if he came out he would shoot the girl first and then he would shoot him. I heard stuff getting moved around through the wall but nothing like screams or anything that would suggest something bad was going on. The next morning I left my apartment and their were cops everywhere on the street. I saw the guy who lived with the girl and he told me what had happened. Then he started to cry and walked away. I was stunned. The girl was in medical school and she dropped out. That day after school I went to the dog pound and got a 85 pound boxer (bruno) to stay with my girlfriend on the nights I tended bar. I'll never forget that day. I hope and pray that girl was able to put her life back together. A person who is raped is never the same afterwards. I feel rapists should get the death penalty.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-17-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,742,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are you a cop?

And what do you mean by crime "starting" to go up - does that mean in the past 6 months, or past year?

If so, (and if you are not a cop) to be a witness to all those crimes in all those disparate neighborhoods in only one year means you really get around!!
No I'm not a cop, and yes I do get around. What does being a cop have to do with anything? Most of them sit in the comfort of their patrol car blind to what's going on. Like I said, there is a more unreported crime now than ever. Just because crime dropped in neighborhoods that used to be dangerous and now are trendy yuppie/hipster enclaves, doesn't mean I'm going to bury my head in the sand and believe the mayor or anyone else who tells me the streets are safe.

I don't sit around the comfort of my trendy Williamsburg apartment all day making posts about a city I've only lived in a short time. I grew up in this city and I've watched the changes with my eyes wide open. I walk the streets all hours of night and day.

Tell you what, I'll give you a list of streets you can go for a walk at night. Let me know how safe you feel. I'm not talking about East New York or Jamacia either, I'll list some streets that are within precints that are supposed to be seeing drops. Like the 104th precint to start.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,071,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
No I'm not a cop, and yes I do get around. What does being a cop have to do with anything? Most of them sit in the comfort of their patrol car blind to what's going on. Like I said, there is a more unreported crime now than ever. Just because crime dropped in neighborhoods that used to be dangerous and now are trendy yuppie/hipster enclaves, doesn't mean I'm going to bury my head in the sand and believe the mayor or anyone else who tells me the streets are safe.

I don't sit around the comfort of my trendy Williamsburg apartment all day making posts about a city I've only lived in a short time. I grew up in this city and I've watched the changes with my eyes wide open. I walk the streets all hours of night and day.

Tell you what, I'll give you a list of streets you can go for a walk at night. Let me know how safe you feel. I'm not talking about East New York or Jamacia either, I'll list some streets that are within precints that are supposed to be seeing drops. Like the 104th precint to start.
You clearly misunderstood the point of my post. My point was that if you are talking about a short time-frame of, say 6 months or a year, that I was surprised that you have personally witnessed armed robberies, cars being stolen, property crimes, vandalization and burglaries in areas that are as far-flung as Ozone Park and Coney Island.

I could understand it if you were a cop, which you have so kindly told us that you're not, but otherwise I can't understand it. Sorry. To personally witness that many crimes in that many areas of the city in whatever short timeframe you're talking about doesn't make sense to me unless you're in law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
But from my own personal experience, I've been watching crime start to go up again in places like Ridgewood, Bushwick, Glendale, Ozone Park, Elmhurst, Coney Island, and several other neighborhoods. Mostly in the form of armed robberies, stolen cars or parts, property crimes, vandalization, and burglaries.
And good for you that you grew up here - that's a great accomplishment that you can be very proud of.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
When I was in college the apartment next door was broken into and the girl was raped. The rapist Mod cut: language put the boyfriend in the closet and told him if he came out he would shoot the girl first and then he would shoot him. I heard stuff getting moved around through the wall but nothing like screams or anything that would suggest something bad was going on. The next morning I left my apartment and their were cops everywhere on the street. I saw the guy who lived with the girl and he told me what had happened. Then he started to cry and walked away. I was stunned. The girl was in medical school and she dropped out. That day after school I went to the dog pound and got a 85 pound boxer (bruno) to stay with my girlfriend on the nights I tended bar. I'll never forget that day. I hope and pray that girl was able to put her life back together. A person who is raped is never the same afterwards. I feel rapists should get the death penalty.
What a tragic, sad story. Yes, rapists in NYC or anywhere else should get the death penalty or the most severe punishment legally possible.

To any other other poster who claims that NYC is an extremely dangerous place because thay have witnessed a couple of incidents, as unfortunate as those may have been, the stats prove otherwise. Does crime exist here? Absolutely! Should one run out of town because of crime? Well, they probably need another reason if they must have an excuse to pack their bags, but let's get someting more accurate as a rationale for exiting.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 AM

657 posts, read 1,630,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
What a tragic, sad story. Yes, rapists in NYC or anywhere else should get the death penalty or the most severe punishment legally possible.

To any other other poster who claims that NYC is an extremely dangerous place because thay have witnessed a couple of incidents, as unfortunate as those may have been, the stats prove otherwise. Does crime exist here? Absolutely! Should one run out of town because of crime? Well, they probably need another reason if they must have an excuse to pack their bags, but let's get someting more accurate as a rationale for exiting.
The stats don't prove it's safe either.

And to my knowledge noone has yet to suggest that anyone should run and hide in their bathtub for fear of stray bullets comming in their living rooms (at least I haven't).

My main focal point is to remember that there are still ALOT of very dangerous inviduals roaming this city and PLENTY of dangerous areas that remain breeding grounds for crime, so people should NOT get lulled into a false sense of reality that we are completely safe, even if you live in a decent neighborhood persay.

Last edited by justfarr1030; 01-17-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
The stats don't prove it's safe either.

And to my knowledge noone has yet to suggest that anyone should run and hide in their bathtub for fear of stray bullets comming in their living rooms (at least I haven't).
Let's not get carried away by our own rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City