Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,496 times

Advertisements

i really do think crime is going up i live in hunts point been living here since 1989 i seen lil kids robbing mexican like crazy everyday it happen and i wonder those crime aint been reported I think crime is going up but not like the early 90s just like 2 days ago there was a murder like 3 blocks away from the 41th precient u cant even go in the buildin in front of where i live because they robbing people inside the building i believe its gonna get crazy if the economy gets worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
The point I appreciate your anecdotal evidence, as it is important to get the perspective of those "in the trenches" and not just read stats. I do not doubt that Mexicans are an easy target, but that doesnt; necessarily mean crime is going up..it just means criminals/kids have found easier prey..nothing more. I live in Mott Haven literally surrounded by housing projects, and it is PROFOUNDLY safer than it has been in my lifetime. ThePOint....I suspect that if you were a little older you would have a better frame of reference for crime. Take a look at crime historically and recently...you will see a continued and dramatic decrease in crime across the board: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs041pct.pdf Murders are now down to an amazing 3 in 2007, and I believe 2 in 2008..from 44 in 1990 and 18 in 1995..with similar declines for most other categories. That is not a community that is in a "downward spiral" as some might have you believe. It is much safer than it has been for decades and there is in fact no evidence YET to support crime rates increasing to anything other than a normal variation.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Perhaps illegal Mexicans were't being robbed as much 5-10 years ago, I don't know, maybe because there weren't that many of them here.

That's a horrible indicator of a crime increase.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Very true NYer

Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,496 times
yes your right crime has went down but what im saying is I think is gonna go up not like the 90s when there was 2,000 murders you couldnt even go outside but if the economy stay getting worse and going downward robberies will go up and up and overall crime will go up to thats what I believe

Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Yes I can understand that..and if there were an increase in crime this year, we agree that it would be marginal, and that is in fact normal. Crime rates don't go down for infinity, just like housing and stocks and most other things don' go up forever in a straight line, they have year to year variations and long term trends. So while crime MAY go up this year, although there is no evidence to support that, the long term trends have clearly shown crime continues to DECLINE. A variation from one year to another is normal. Take comfort in knowing the city is taking care of any spike in crime that may occur by clamping down...if you really see people being robbed in buildings/in front, you should be calling the police. They will be more than happy to show up and snatch these people off the streets. Be PROACTIVE and don't just sit back and complain on chat rooms.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Have you read Newsday or watched News 12 LI lately? Parts of LI are scarier than most of NYC and the crime rates on LI have been going up over the last 20 years while the crime rates in NYC have been going down!
I do agree with you on that. First hand several places I've been to on LI are way worse. Hempstead, Freeport, Brentwood seem alot scarier than riding the subway in the poorer areas of Brooklyn and Queens. I've been on every subway line and haven't felt unsafe, at least during the day.
Part of the problem on LI is isolation, poor transportation often isolates communities, in NYC most areas have good transportation.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I do agree with you on that. First hand several places I've been to on LI are way worse. Hempstead, Freeport, Brentwood seem alot scarier than riding the subway in the poorer areas of Brooklyn and Queens. I've been on every subway line and haven't felt unsafe, at least during the day.
Part of the problem on LI is isolation, poor transportation often isolates communities, in NYC most areas have good transportation.

Agreed.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Ten years ago I would walk around Coney Island at night, today I wouldn't dare. Things are getting worse in some areas. Perhaps there is a greater police presence in Mott Haven now than previous years, hence that small segment of the city may be seeing drops. But from my own personal experience, I've been watching crime start to go up again in places like Ridgewood, Bushwick, Glendale, Ozone Park, Elmhurst, Coney Island, and several other neighborhoods. Mostly in the form of armed robberies, stolen cars or parts, property crimes, vandalization, and burglaries. Also, take into account that people spend less time outdoors in winter, so crime isn't as high as in summer. I predict this summer will see a noticable increase in crime across the board.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
[quote=Coolhand68;6982515] Things are getting worse in some areas... from my own personal experience, I've been watching crime start to go up again in places like Ridgewood, Bushwick, Glendale, Ozone Park, Elmhurst, Coney Island, and several other neighborhoods. Mostly in the form of armed robberies, stolen cars or parts, property crimes, vandalization, and burglaries.

Sorry,Coolhand,but you will have to show me the precinct crime stats.Even if you are actually personally witnessing more crime it doesn't necessarily mean that the crime rates are going up.It just means that you personally have witnessed more crime.As SobroGuy pointed out,the statistics show the crime rate going down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City