Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
I spent the first 13 years of my life in Paterson,NJ. I know what its like in neighborhoods like that. Its never as bad as what people make it out to be. The only thing that people say that is really 100% true is the animosity towards whites(me being one). I would assume that there is less hated towards whites in black neighborhoods in NYC though. Crime is never really as bad as the media makes it out to be though.
I don't really care what the media says about crime, I live in Brooklyn so I don't need a article to tell me how bad it is. If you don't think it's that serious then that's on you (everybody has a different opinion).

However, elaborate on "animosity towards whites" please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Quote:
You didn't say that the nypd hides 600 murders. KRS did, and you agreed with him. Being a performing musician ive played in the best of neighborhoods and the worst. Ive got to say ive never felt unsafe. The people that feel unsafe are the ones that believe the hype from rap songs and other sources or the ones that DONT believe the hype of the newspaper that say crime is WAAAY down. I guess its all personal.

i didnt say the HIDE 600 bodies im saying each precint takes away anywere from 0-15 homicides depending on how dangerous their area is to make it seem belivable for locals

Source: high ranking official in the nypd his exact number of homicides for 2008 in nyc is 1154 as i saw ive been in 4 different precints he showed me. I wasnt going to say this but i had to. From his precint (one of the main ones in nyc) from the official documentation i read in the precint actual homicide numbers which have been cooked since 1996 homicides from Actual homicides from 96 to 08. 96 1092, 97 1021, 98 904, 99 901, 00 854, 01 798, 02 768, 03 698, 04 833, 05 878, 06 988, 07 1002, 08 1154 (ive read these from actual precint documentation)

Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
i didnt say the HIDE 600 bodies im saying each precint takes away anywere from 0-15 homicides depending on how dangerous their area is to make it seem belivable for locals

Source: high ranking official in the nypd his exact number of homicides for 2008 in nyc is 1154 as i saw ive been in 4 different precints he showed me. I wasnt going to say this but i had to. From his precint (one of the main ones in nyc) from the official documentation i read in the precint actual homicide numbers which have been cooked since 1996 homicides from Actual homicides from 96 to 08. 96 1092, 97 1021, 98 904, 99 901, 00 854, 01 798, 02 768, 03 698, 04 833, 05 878, 06 988, 07 1002, 08 1154 (ive read these from actual precint documentation)
I'm going to look into this.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM

124 posts, read 383,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I don't really care what the media says about crime, I live in Brooklyn so I don't need a article to tell me how bad it is. If you don't think it's that serious then that's on you (everybody has a different opinion).

However, elaborate on "animosity towards whites" please?

As a kid in Paterson, I went to the public schools. Because I was white I was jumped once a week. There is a publicly excepted racism towards whites in communities like that. I experienced it everyday of my childhood.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Are you claiming that the city is more dangerous now then it was in 96?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
As a kid in Paterson, I went to the public schools. Because I was white I was jumped once a week. There is a publicly excepted racism towards whites in communities like that. I experienced it everyday of my childhood.
Sorry to hear that, but I doubt it was just because you were white unless there were groups of blacks chasing you with sticks while screaming "c'mon lets play, beat up the white boy" then it was just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time (Of course you'll probably say that is what it was but I doubt it, however I don't know you so who knows). Those same groups right after they beat you up probably went and robbed and beat on a black person the same night. Whites that move into black neighborhoods are assumed sometimes to generally have more money so that is another possible reason you got attacked. But just because your white, and got beat up in a black neighborhood does not make it racism lol. (not laughing at you but the idea of you possibly thinking that is the case)

Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Sorry to hear that, but I doubt it was just because you were white unless there were groups of blacks chasing you with sticks while screaming "c'mon lets play, beat up the white boy" then it was just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time (Of course you'll probably say that is what it was but I doubt it, however I don't know you so who knows). Those same groups right after they beat you up probably went and robbed and beat on a black person the same night. Whites that move into black neighborhoods are assumed sometimes to generally have more money so that is another possible reason you got attacked. But just because your white, and got beat up in a black neighborhood does not make it racism lol. (not laughing at you but the idea of you possibly thinking that is the case)

Unfortunately they would scream things like that. It may be hard for you to understand if you didn't grow up as a minority in a neighborhood. It's just a double standard kind of situation. "Group of whites beat up black kid (racism) group of black kids beat up a white kid (just the way it is)." I don't like dwelling on things like that just because i've tried to put it behind me, but I was just saying that a lot of fears that whites have of the black community i.e. being out casted because of being white are somewhat true. However, i've found that in NYC it is a lot different. People are generally more tolerant of others when it comes to race.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately they would scream things like that. It may be hard for you to understand if you didn't grow up as a minority in a neighborhood. It's just a double standard kind of situation. "Group of whites beat up black kid (racism) group of black kids beat up a white kid (just the way it is)." I don't like dwelling on things like that just because i've tried to put it behind me, but I was just saying that a lot of fears that whites have of the black community i.e. being out casted because of being white are somewhat true. However, i've found that in NYC it is a lot different. People are generally more tolerant of others when it comes to race.
Like I said I don't know Patterson and I don't know you, so I can't say. If that's what happened then once again that is a horrible experience and hopefully those individuals have changed. Even more importantly, hopefully it didn't effect your views on blacks.

I didn't grow up as a minority, but I was a minority in a predominantly White Catholic school until 10th grade so I DEFINITELY know what it feels like to be an outcast. What I was saying however is that I don't think it's a double standard when you have a group of whites attack a black kid while screaming Obama (True story, google it) shortly after he is announced the winner of the race (in Long Island I believe), that's racism. If you just got jumped and robbed walking through a neighborhood that happens to be black it doesn't make it racism, see what I'm saying. Stick up kids don't care about race, they care about getting your money lol.

Like I said I know that it happens on both fronts and I am against ALL forms of racism.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Quote:
Are you claiming that the city is more dangerous now then it was in 96?

I know it doesnt look like it but crime is more spread out and not located in a single neighborhood like it was also i know people get the image nyc is safer because its alot cleaner but compton looks like a good ol american suburb (besides the thugs gambling, trash, and graffiti) but its still one of the most dangerous places in america

Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I know it doesnt look like it but crime is more spread out and not located in a single neighborhood like it was also i know people get the image nyc is safer because its alot cleaner but compton looks like a good ol american suburb (besides the thugs gambling, trash, and graffiti) but its still one of the most dangerous places in america
Very true, I've been to California. There "hoods" look VERY nice compared to New York. But Inglewood hands down is once of the nicest bad areas I have ever seen. Long Beach looked upscale (beside the few run down houses every few blocks).

Look doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City