Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM

824 posts, read 2,790,658 times

Advertisements

A friend of a friend had choice season tickets at Shea in the Loge. I thought that they had become waaay too expensive, I hardly ever went to a game, but compared to the new prices, they seem like a bargain now. His new seats at Citi Field approximate the old location, and as you may know, The Mets have variable pricing, so that some games are more expensive than others. The price for these new seats (I'm quoting for ONE seat) are: Gold games, $180; Silver games, $150; Bronze games, $120; Value games, $90. I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm sort of used to Madsion Square Garden charging huge amounts for basketball and hockey, but this is baseball, with bigger seating capacity and more games! Another friend of a friend had good field level seats that quadrupled in price, and he couldn't renew.

Last edited by nyctc7; 01-13-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
A friend of a friend had choice season tickets at Shea in the Loge. I thought that they had become waaay too expensive, I hardly ever went to a game, but compared to the new prices, they seem like a bargain now. His new seats at Citi Field approximate the old location, and as you may know, The Mets have variable pricing, so that some games are more expensive than others. The price for these new seats (I'm quoting for ONE seat) are: Gold games, $180; Silver games, $150; Bronze games, $120; Value games, $90. I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm sort of used to Madsion Square Garden charging huge amounts for basketball and hockey, but this is baseball, with bigger seating capacity and more games! Another friend of a friend had good field level seats that quadrupled in price, and he couldn't renew.
We'll see how long these greedy b****** get away with this once games don't sell out and no one is buying their 400% marked up hot dogs and beer.

The fact that 2 stadiums were funded by taxpayer money and they are allowed go gouge the fans...I may not co to Citi Field at all. I averaged 3-4 Met games and 2 Yankee games per year for the last 10 years. Say good buy to my money, jerks.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,072 times
I know, it is horrible. The taxpayers are the ones paying for the rebuilding of the stadium and then the VAST majority of those people who normally attended many games per season can no longer afford to attend any! B.S.!!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM

219 posts, read 608,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
I wouldn't worry... those prices will come down or they will just have swaths of empty seats. They're pricing things like it's 2006, but they'll soon realize it's 2009. The Knicks don't even come close to selling out MSG anymore, except maybe for when good teams like the Lakers and Celtics are in town.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
It's hilarious when such expenditures and tax subsidies are looked at as being favorable to an economy, which is generally not the case with sports stadiums and franchises. I believe an early statistic with the Yankee Stadium, now over budget, put New York's expenditure, not including federal and NY tax subsidies, at close to $500M to potentially generate $96M in tax base increases over 30 years. The original Guiliani package was somewhere at $1.9B for both new stadiums. So, corporate welfare results in fewer seats and higher ticket, concessions, and merchandise prices. If said increases were coming anyway with the new stadiums, then why did the public subsidize the cost?

At the new price points, however, I do agree that they will not last for long, especially since the Yankees always want a sell-out, partially for the security in numbers that brings to the fans. Shea doesn't have the same security concerns, but capacity crowds look better for the television audience. That's why the Yankees had low ticket prices for many years, starting in the 80s when they wanted to leave the South Bronx, because many fans did not feel safe in the neighborhood. Increased attendance numbers and more of a security presence on game days changed that feeling, along with providing bragging rights about sell-outs.

The other major complaint was traffic, and that's why the MetroNorth station was part of the deal for the new Yankee Stadium, not to improve transportation infrastructure in the neighborhood as many try to justify it. Perhaps the more egregious issue was the public parkland grab for the stadium and parking structures in an eleventh hour deal in Albany, which takes something from the community that cannot be replaced in the smaller parks planned.

It just makes one wonder if some of the ticket prices at Shea have quadrupled, what were we subsidizing? Would the tickets have jumped ten-fold had the deals not been struck? Certainly the outlays were not a good investment in terms of the projected 30-year tax base increases. At least Shea is complete, so there's not any more cost forthcoming in the short term, but the Yankess want a few hundred million more to complete the deal. And this is supposed to be good for a city with a looming financial crisis?

Yes, it's good psychology to have the latest and greatest, but at what cost? If attendance is down, that doesn't look good. And, show me the fan who is not going to get angry at paying huge mark-up for concessions and a high ticket price for a mediocre game?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
The market will determine what the seat prices are...if they can get those prices..good for them...we would all do the same thing no? Would you offer your car for $5,000 when you can get $10,000? Only time will tell.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 AM

85 posts, read 415,322 times
Isn't it great that we, the taxpayers, have just bailed out Citibank, while Citibank pays $20 million per year to the Mets over the next 20 years for the right to call the new stadium Citifield?!?! That's $400 MILLION DOLLARS.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Yes..that is the american way!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Just another instance of the people who really matter (the fans) being kicked in the teeth. It's been going on since the day baseball first appeared on television, and it will probably get even worse than it is now before it gets better.

Yours truly, a lifelong Mets fan, is not thrilled by this.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The market will determine what the seat prices are...if they can get those prices..good for them...we would all do the same thing no? Would you offer your car for $5,000 when you can get $10,000? Only time will tell.

So it's a free market, they can charge whatever they want......
........but where did they go for the money to build the stadiums? That's where your comparison is invalid. These stadiums are being paid for by every tax payer, so they should have been told to keep ticket prices down for the upper deck of the stadium if they wanted public money, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City