Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 PM

187 posts, read 674,839 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for all NYC women, but I have to say, I don't really like it when random dudes I don't know ask me out. Yeah, I know it's kinda flattering to know someone thinks you're cute, but my gut instinct is usually to say no whenever some random stranger asks me for my number, even if he's kind of cute. My feeling is, I don't know this person, none of my friends know this person, and as such I have no idea what exactly I'd be getting into by going out with this person. Hypersocial situations like dates require a LOT of energy from me, and I really don't want to want to have to put forth that kind of effort and risk getting my heart broken unless I know he's worth the risk.

I like online dating better, or at least the concept of it. I find it's often easier to assess somebody as a potential partner-in-crime by looking at what they put in their profile than it is if you meet them randomly face to face. I can't necessarily say the success rate is higher, though.

Oh, and since people keep bringing it up: it's not so much money that's important as it is financial stability. No one, male or female, wants to get stuck with someone who mooches off them constantly because they don't have (or refuse to get) a job that pays them enough to survive on their own. I would've thought that'd be common sense, but I guess some folks are just bitter.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,772,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler13 View Post
I can't speak for all NYC women, but I have to say, I don't really like it when random dudes I don't know ask me out. Yeah, I know it's kinda flattering to know someone thinks you're cute, but my gut instinct is usually to say no whenever some random stranger asks me for my number, even if he's kind of cute. My feeling is, I don't know this person, none of my friends know this person, and as such I have no idea what exactly I'd be getting into by going out with this person. Hypersocial situations like dates require a LOT of energy from me, and I really don't want to want to have to put forth that kind of effort and risk getting my heart broken unless I know he's worth the risk.

I like online dating better, or at least the concept of it. I find it's often easier to assess somebody as a potential partner-in-crime by looking at what they put in their profile than it is if you meet them randomly face to face. I can't necessarily say the success rate is higher, though.

Oh, and since people keep bringing it up: it's not so much money that's important as it is financial stability. No one, male or female, wants to get stuck with someone who mooches off them constantly because they don't have (or refuse to get) a job that pays them enough to survive on their own. I would've thought that'd be common sense, but I guess some folks are just bitter.
I agree. Good women hate the excessive sleazy catcalling and ignore it. This is such a New York thing...it doesn't happen nearly as much in any other cities. Most of those types who partake in this are usually uncivilized low-class creeps.

And to the other poster, no you don't have to be wealthy to find decent dates. How many people in the country are actually "rich"? The vast majority of couples are not rich. You probably just have very high standards and the type you are attracted too are just attracted to equally attractive men. Some people just strive too far out of their leagues.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:44 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondstreet View Post

And to the other poster, no you don't have to be wealthy to find decent dates. How many people in the country are actually "rich"? The vast majority of couples are not rich. Some people just strive too far out of their leagues.
I agree but one wouldn't think so if they were to have read 1000's of women seeking men personal ads like I have in the NYC market when women seek the man to earn megabucks in the salary requirement section.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,737 times
It has nothing to do with money, imo. At least not for me. The video was funny in a grotesque kind of way. I don't think all women bite men's heads off or cut them to pieces, but it is not a great idea for any woman these days to go out with some guy she barely knows just because he asks. It just does not work. The guy I am seeing right now is someone I've known for years. It's just recently that our friendship went from aquaintanceship to friendship to "something more." To the guys on this thread who are swearing that all NY women are so impossible, I would gently suggest that you take a long hard look at the kind of women you are attracted to and re-evaluate. Maybe someone has been quietly or unobtrusively been in your life but you've dismissed her as a possibility. I would also take a long hard look at your approach. Are you taking some time to get to know the woman before you ask her out? Just a thought...

Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
This has been discussed ad infinitum and is now off topic.

The thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City