Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,294 times

Advertisements

This debate is becoming alarmingly well-researched, with great maps in the last post.

Haven't you all got better things to do?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
I'm just trying to prove a point.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You NYers can't even get LA's population right. If you are comparing Manhattan to Los Angeles County, then we have more. Manhattan has 1.5 million while Los Angeles has 10.2 million. And LA actually is denser than NYC since we have no more room to grow because of our beautiful mountains.

For the people that said we have no trees, have you ever been on the 405/10 interchange? No...I didn't think so.

And for the one that said every part of LA is going to be overrun by gangs, i doubt that a poor gang member could afford a 1 million dollar home. Especially the 5 million dollar homes.

And for the people that said our colleges aren't as good, here you go.
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: National Universities: Top Schools

According to this one, we have the number one and number three public universities in the country.

Best Public Universities - The Best Public Universities in the United States (http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingaschool/tp/bestpublic.htm - broken link)
Umm, L.A. is not more dense than NYC first of all. Second, your comparing Downtown NYC with all of L.A. county in your population statements. The city of NYC is much larger than the city of L.A. (8 million vs 3 million)

Sad that the only trees you have are at a feeway intersection like you say)= Hopefully they wont be destroyed by the forest fires.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 PM

157 posts, read 675,317 times
I have lived in Manhattan and L.A. in the last 5 years. For me it all comes down to jobs and things to do.

After living in NYC for 2 years, I loved it, but at the same time I was getting bored of Eating, Drinking and Shopping. It seems after living there a while, really this is all that people do... eat, drink and shop. My wife loved it, because there is no driving and lots of shopping.

L.A. has far more things to do outside. I can only go up and down the Hudson trail, around Central Park and Prospect Park so many times. NYC doesn't offer an escape from the madness. L.A. does, it might take a while to drive there, but I can mountain bike, surf, hike, camp all around the metro area.

Renting a car for 150.00 a day in NYC and driving North or West 2 hours doesn't cut it.

Jobs, especially Tech Jobs, L.A. beats NYC. Most Tech Jobs in NYC are finance related. Nothing wrong with that, you can make a lot of money, but Tech Jobs in L.A. are vast in comparison.

I'll admit though, I don't go one day without missing the food in NYC. The Best food in US is in NYC.

I will also admit that I prefer NY people over LA people, the materialism in LA is live and real. They are friendly one minute and against you the next, if you don't behave exactly like them. In NY you get more authentic people, people who speak their minds. I can appreciate that.

In the end, San Francisco has you both beat.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM

29 posts, read 151,779 times
Quote:
THE HIGHEST POPULATION DENSITY IN THE NATION!
I don't understand how this is desirable. You would rather live in a place where there is less space per person? I guess that would make China and India the most desirable places to live because their population is sooo dense. lol.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:31 PM

29 posts, read 151,779 times
Quote:
In the end, San Francisco has you both beat.]
I agree, San Francisco has the best combination of urban and suburban life. Not to mention SF has the most authentic cultural diversity I've seen in the country. People of different ethnicities truly interact and socialize on a day to day basis and are more accepting and open minded towards different cultures than LA or NY. Not that people in LA or NY don't interact or socialize, but there is generally less suspicion when engaging with people of different backgrounds in SF.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You NYers can't even get LA's population right. If you are comparing Manhattan to Los Angeles County, then we have more. Manhattan has 1.5 million while Los Angeles has 10.2 million. And LA actually is denser than NYC since we have no more room to grow because of our beautiful mountains.
Manhattan to Los Angeles County? That's not even fair. Los Angeles County is so much larger in area. LA has no more room to grow? Yeah, because they sprawl all over the place because they can't handle tough guy city life and God forbid they don't have a yard.

Quote:
For the people that said we have no trees, have you ever been on the 405/10 interchange? No...I didn't think so.
I know you guys have trees. Every city does.

Quote:
And for the one that said every part of LA is going to be overrun by gangs, i doubt that a poor gang member could afford a 1 million dollar home. Especially the 5 million dollar homes.
LA's crime rates is dropping, while NYC's is on the rise. So you're right here, whoop-dee-doo.

Quote:
And for the people that said our colleges aren't as good, here you go.
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: National Universities: Top Schools

According to this one, we have the number one and number three public universities in the country.

Best Public Universities - The Best Public Universities in the United States (http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingaschool/tp/bestpublic.htm - broken link)
LA has good colleges, but they cannot compare to West Point. If I had to hire somebody, and had to choose between someone from the LA area's best college/university or West Point, I'd choose the West Point guy. Why? Because, first off, you're not getting into WP if you're not an A-student. Secondly, WP teaches you to be a leader, something that will not be taught at LA's universities. Third, when you go to a normal university, people there are just book smart, WP graduates are physically and mentally fit. WP requirements and expectations are much higher than LA's best. If you go to WP, you won't need to look for a job, the job will look for you.

Here's what West Point graduates have:
-leadership
-book smarts
-street smarts
-wayyyy above average physical and mental health
-respect
-loyalty
-confidence
-4 years of military service

Old 08-16-2007, 09:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoOCtoSD View Post
I don't understand how this is desirable. You would rather live in a place where there is less space per person? I guess that would make China and India the most desirable places to live because their population is sooo dense. lol.
Maybe that's why China and India are the most populated countries in the world...

Maybe you don't like density, but other people do. Maybe people want easy access to a corner grocery store, maybe people don't want a car, maybe people want to live close to work, maybe people like the activity of the big city, etc. You're not the voice of the world.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 PM

274 posts, read 319,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoOCtoSD View Post
Right, you really think Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo is going to be overrun by gangs anytime soon? Give me a break. Seems like your vision of LA is warped by the media. I've been to Chicago, and the gang problem there is far worse than LA. Your ghettos are unlivable period. The "ghettos" in compton actually have separate housing units and a front lawn and a backyard. They're "overhyped" by stupid rappers and hollywood movies. Its not even that rough. The ghettos in Chicago on the other hand are completely run down. That is where your headed right ?

The Posh Suburbs is LA, no one actually lives in downtown, the suburbs is essentially all LA is. The air in the coastal communities is really clear, I would know I'm breathing it right now. How can you complain about the pacific breeze. You sound like an incredibly bitter man. Not everyone is miserable in LA , haha, but you keep telling yourself that and pretend that living in a 1 bedroom apartment the size of a shoebox in NYC is a better lifestyle. Your telling me my community will be overrun by gangs ? Get that BS out of here, you think you know my community better than I do? Crimes have decreased in LA in the last 10 years. Its hardly a place overrun by illegals and gangs like the media portrays it. Illegals are rampant in SoCal, but once they realize how unreasonably expensive it is to live here, they're beginning to move to other cities in America. Illegal immigration is a problem of America not just Los Angeles. But it's nice to know that people like yourself want to stereotype one of America's largest problem to one city. The ghettos in LA will always be there. The only difference is, the ghettos that the blacks once inhabited have become predominantly hispanic.
Okay, I used to live in L.A. and yes my quality of life is better by my standards in New York than it was in L.A.

To me, LA doesn't really compare to NY. NY is chic, L.A. Isnt. NY has everything I want X 10. Top shops, top bars, top restaurants, top night life, cultured people, etc, etc,etc ....

New York has posher suburbs than L.A. There aren't many posh suburbs in L.A. Anyhow. Have you been to The Hamptons? Gorgeous scenery, beach, nice breeze, billioniares, millioniares, $100 million dollar homes.

Yes, I prefer our new apartment to our large home in Brentwood ANYDAY.

NYC will always be a much more desirable place to live than L.A. End of story.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 PM

157 posts, read 675,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
NYC will always be a much more desirable place to live than L.A. End of story.
Not if you like a little outdoors mixed in with your city. However, the city itself is better than LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City