Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,480,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm a teenager. I surf. Where can you surf in NYC? We have a free shuttle bus to the beach that runs right by my house. I live four blocks from the best beach in the area.
You can surf on LI. Nothing like surfing Hawaii, but we get surprsingly large waves due to our location. We're the 3rd most prone city to hurricanes in the US. I remember on LI we saw surfers out during a hurricane that came from FL. I doubt you could ever surf that.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,285,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You can surf on LI. Nothing like surfing Hawaii, but we get surprsingly large waves due to our location. We're the 3rd most prone city to hurricanes in the US. I remember on LI we saw surfers out during a hurricane that came from FL. I doubt you could ever surf that.
nope i cant. but at least i can surf anytime i want and not have the threat of being hit by a hurricane.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
nope i cant. but at least i can surf anytime i want and not have the threat of being hit by a hurricane.
Ohh, but the threat of an earthquake, tsunami, wildfire, and mudslide. We get the aftermath of a hurricane, just winds and rain, nothing too major.

Surfing isn't a big thing here. We're a sporting city.... Baseball, football, baketball, hockey, etc. All but one of our teams were on the list of most loyal and rowdy fans. That team was the Islanders. When we are on the list, we're either 2nd, 3rd, or no lower than 7th.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Ohh, but the threat of an earthquake, tsunami, wildfire, and mudslide. We get the aftermath of a hurricane, just winds and rain, nothing too major.

Surfing isn't a big thing here. We're a sporting city.... Baseball, football, baketball, hockey, etc. All but one of our teams were on the list of most loyal and rowdy fans. That team was the Islanders. When we are on the list, we're either 2nd, 3rd, or no lower than 7th.
we dont live in fear of earthquakes. no one is scared. we realize we could worry over nothing.

fires and mudslides dont affect my area, so i dont really care. we are not tsunami prone. only NorCal is.

have you ever heard of the dodgers? lakers? angels?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
we dont live in fear of earthquakes. no one is scared. we realize we could worry over nothing.

fires and mudslides dont affect my area, so i dont really care. we are not tsunami prone. only NorCal is.

Not really. I pay attention to threatening teams.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:

Dodgers fans and Angels fans were near the bottom of the list. Lakers were up there, but behind the Knicks.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Not really. I pay attention to threatening teams.
the angels are a huge threat to the Yankees. so are the dodgers to the mets, just not as much so.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
the angels are a huge threat to the Yankees. so are the dodgers to the mets, just not as much so.
No team is a threat to the Yankees, especially the Angels. Red Sox this year, butthey can shove that ring up there asses and stare at Jeter's 4.

The Angels.... Just the name alone sounds unthreatening. And the WS they won was a fluke.

Last edited by Futcha; 08-28-2007 at 11:56 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 AM

274 posts, read 318,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaL_78 View Post
Calfornia has 36 million people. New York has 20 million. That tells you something there. 36 million people don't just live in a single state for sh*ts and giggles. New York is a slum. It's filthy and vile. Some of the most dirtiest streets and graffiti ridden walls in the entire country. Alot of nutcase kooks there. The people in NY aren't pleasant and open minded people. They're mean and rude. You call that something to see as beautiful and full of culture? I've been to NY and it was a total slum. I had never seen such dirty-filthy streets and poverty full of homeless people in my life. I'd take Palm Trees, Beaches, Sunshine and Blonde Bombshells over crackheads and subways anyday.
Oh please. You are such an idiot.

Don't lie. You've never been to New York. Its so pitiful you have to come onto an New York message board if L.A. is so great.

I can't believe I'm taking part of this useless conversation but I will address this posts to you L.A. trolls, whoever you are.

First of all, I used to live in Brentwood in L.A. Of course the up-keep in the nicer areas is wonderful, but what scenery are you talking about? What exactly can you see from your shattered burglar-bar enclosed windows of Inglewood? I'm quite positive someone such as yourself could never afford to buy in a nice part. L.A. in general is extremely dirty and sleazy looking. I can't drive a mile without looking at a utterly henious strip mall or yet another pink bubble-gum Mexican house. And lets not forget the smog. For heaven's sake the advanced air-pollution filter and double-glazed windows of my Maserati couldn't even help one bit while navigating that urban sprawl of a city. My lungs stil itch from my summer in L.A. Bloody hell. Parts of New York may look old and dusty but it looks more interesting and is far more chic.

Secondly, who lied to you in regards to "LA having more tourists than New York"? Are you mad? If you weren't such a moron you would know NYC has more than 2 times the tourists L.A. has. What would a tourist do in L.A.? Los Angeles is not much of a fun place to tour. Some parts may be great to live, but touring? No.

And while we are at it, New York has the highest population growth in the United States. Way ahead of Los Angeles. So I suppose some people like it here after all? Lets not forget the New York City population is much much above L.A.

New York has way more class than L.A. will ever have. There is a reason why all the premier establishments have their flagships in New York. L.A. is just too trashy for such things. Think in terms of fashion, etc.

And in regards for celebrities buying houses in L.A. .......DUH. Sit down and think about it. Where is the industry? Hollywood. Wouldn't it make sense to live close to Hollywood if you work in Hollywood? I would hope so. Oh and every single one of those people you mention has a home in New York. But you wouldn't know, surely someone like you would be bounced out the high doors of every high-end luxury complex in the city. New York must be nice if they would buy a house across the country in New York, even though they have no business here. Oh and dear, I personally know Kanye West's main residence is in NYC. L.A. is just a part time residence. He lives in TriBeCa (A neighborhood inManhattan to be exact.) I see him driving his Bentley or blue Mercedes all the time in my neighborhood.

But enough about celebrities. Most of them are tacky and useless anyhow. They are common peasants in comparison to the truly wealthy who live in New York. New York City has more billioniares, much more, than L.A. (and more mere millioniares as well.)

And if I want palm trees and sunshine, ill gladly hop on a jet to somewhere that makes Los Angeles look like a complete slum and welfare case: Monaco. But you wouldn't know about it dear, so don't overthink yourself. You wouldn't be allowed in. You're nothing more than a vile social climber peasant who will never ever see the glamorous parts of LA anyhow so why shoud you be speaking of it? Leave it to me dear.

But at the end of the day, I still like L.A. Certain parts are indeed quite fabulous. It's not a fully complete and utter disaster.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
And if I want palm trees and sunshine, ill gladly hop on a jet to somewhere that makes Los Angeles look like a complete slum and welfare case: Monaco. But you wouldn't know about it dear, so don't overthink yourself. You wouldn't be allowed in. You're nothing more than a vile social climber peasant who will never ever see the glamorous parts of LA anyhow so why shoud you be speaking of it? Leave it to me dear.
Exactly. I can get a better LA in Honolulu, Cape Town, or Sydney. You can't find another NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City