Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times

Advertisements

WOW....Starbucks, the Ritz and Nell's - memories! Some scary.

I was a Jersey Girl so my friends and I hauled our bridge and tunnel selves over to Starbucks and the Ritz all the time. I remember when the coffee came out thinking it was so strange that it had the same name as a nightclub :-P

Nell's came later.

Was too young to go to Studio 54 and probably could have gotten into CBGB and didn't - huge regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,897 times
the original Latin Quarters on w48st between broadway and 7th ave. It was the transition period for a lot of night clubs, they played Disco, house and lots of hip hop. I started going in 1983 and i was 16 years old, i got a fake id from 42nd st and the bouncer knew i was under age but let me in anyway. Benteleys in the mid to late 80's was crackin, saw Mike Tyson there wildn out on the pretty women. Saw EnVogue perform when they first came out and they put on a great show. Then there was Union Square on w 14st and Union Square, it was NYC's first official hip hop club, saw Biz, Heavy D and countless hip hop artists. Got my gold chain taken by some bronx *****s, nobody would mess when people from the bronx came to party cause they was always grimmey and rolled deep lmao. Shout out to Club Zanzibar in Newark. So many more clubs but to me those were the most influential clubs that many people went to.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
Limelight, Tunnel, the old 90s raves (seriously insane times).

Me and a friend got kicked out of CBGB for bringing in our own beer once. LOL!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,783 times
Wow!!! So many great memories!!! I used to roller skate at Roll-a-Palace every weekend. Lived not far from Rockaway Playland when I was younger. As a teen in the 80's my best friend Vicky and myself was always at The Ritz, Dancerteria (I think it is now Webster Hall), The Reggae Lounge. Of course during my heavy metal days we were always at L'amour East. God I miss those wonderful days!!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
IMHO the 80's and 90's were some of the best years to live in NYC. I really, really miss those times, it's not the same for me anymore living here. Anyone still go to the Ukrainian festival on 7th street in the E. Vill? I missed it this year, it gets smaller and smaller each year. I could wax poetic about the past, there's not much left to hold on to.

The East Village (actually most of New York) was so different back in the mid to late 80's. Have very fond memories shopping there, standing on line to see some band signing at Tower Records, walking down to Chinatown to eat and generally just hanging out. It's all different now. Was saddened to hear Palladium was torn down and now is a NYU dorm. 8th Street particularly has changed.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Was a great time for music right before the metal "hair&makeup KISS copys metal bands came. I had a power pop band with a chick singer Colleen at the time played alot of Missing Persons, Scandel, Billy Squire, Kim Wild.

Yes lots of Cool Club's,

Poets, Jimmy Byrnes (Flushing)
My Fathers Place, US Blues (Roslyn)
Trax
Danceiteria
Gildersleaves
OBI South (now beacfront condos for millionares)
Zappas (Brooklyn)
Rub a Dub pub (Middle Villiage)
Right Track Inn
Finnigans Rainbow (Sunnyside, now a supermarket)
The Wreck (Now Cooper Ayle house in Glendale)
Blackbeirds (Baldwin, currently a stripper joint)
Copperfields (I knew "Doc" from Stillwater in Hunter Mountain)

Gov Coumo changed the drinking age to 21, added new DWI and caberet licensing&enforcement laws and killed every one of them

I knew this girl named Robin M in Elmont a roller rink was up her street. I cant remember the name of it or where she is today.
-Joe
Great time for music ? Balderdash you need to go back to the 60's for that . The 80's and 90's is just too new and was just noise.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
I didn't go to the Ukrainian festival but did spend some quality time at the bar in the Ukrainian community center, thanks to a Ukrainian friend. Good times. We were underage and nobody cared.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,730 times
I grew up in Jackson Heights and was at USA a lot!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,677 times
Im trying to find the name of a Jazz club that was around 35th st N.Y.C. early 90's. I saw The Rippingtons and Michelle Camillo there. Anybody know the name?

Old 01-20-2014, 03:46 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Am sorry, but you peeps that missed the 1970's through early 1990's club scene in NYC just don't know! *LOL* Can sit down and weep to remember the fun times and how much was lost.

I mean you'd start at one place around 11PM and end up god only knows where by the time the sun started to rise. You'd then make your way to Tiffany's in the Village or another diner somewhere for breakfast. For those of us really young and whatever there was the cat and mouse came you played with your parents about where you were all Saturday night. Everyone had a friend whose mother was golden and would back up our stories. We would leave a change of clothes so not to be seen doing the "walk of shame" Sunday morning (or god forbid afternoon). *LOL*

Went down to the Meat Packing District last week to meet friends for dinner. Got out of the cab at 7th and 14th to walk to their building and passed by the old Nell's spot. Can't remember what is there but as you go further towards the West Side Highway so much has changed, but then again nothing really.

All the clubs and after hours are gone, and most of the buildings have been changed over into luxury housing. Where trannies and leather/S*M gay men roamed after hours at 14th between Tenth and the River is now all chic-chic lofts and condos.

Crisco Disco is a restaurant or condo: Jeremiah's Vanishing New York: Crisco Disco to Monarch

Cannot believe no one has mentioned Pastel's in Brooklyn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City