Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 PM

9 posts, read 36,651 times

Advertisements

Ok all you friendly New Yorkers, here is a chance to help an out of towner out.
First of all, I have a son attending school in NYC and we have been down to the city a couple of times. I was delighted to find out that it is not the scary and intimidating as I thought and find it exciting and interesting!!

I am involved in Boyscouts with my son and he suggested that we have a trip to the city. Have mentioned it to a few boys and they seem excited as well. The sad part is that these boys mostly come from single parent homes and have little extra spending money. What I need from youse guys are tips on how to make this a fun, but fairly inexpensive trip, for these boys to enjoy.

We have found a Boyscout camp out on Staten Island to camp out at relatively cheap and have access to the Staten Island Ferry which I understand is free. We plan on using the subway to get around, having been to the Met. Museum I know that is a donation. Have read that the Bronx Zoo is free on Wed. but don't think that will happen as we plan on getting into NY later in the week.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear about them. I love going to New York and I'm sure the boys will too.
Thanks again, looking forward to our trip in the spring.

Last edited by MarshVegasMike; 01-17-2009 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: too short
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,294 times
Default Very Good!

Looks like you've done your homework. You have a place to sleep. A free ride across the bay to Manhattan. Sightseeing is free and cheap places to eat are dotted throughout the island. I'd suggest your group take a train (subway)to Brooklyn and walk the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan. Personally I take the 2/3 to Clark Street. Then I walk to the promenade and wander to the base of the bridge. When I am in Midtown I eat at 99 cent pizza. For $2.75 you can get two slices and a can of soda!

99 Cent Fresh Pizza, Midtown NYC on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59445098@N00/360138740/ - broken link)

I use my backpack for sandwiches and bottled water. I used to be a boy scout and have taken the pack to NYC quite a long time ago.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 36,651 times
Thanks, I'd forgotten about the Brooklyn Bridge. That is something I have wanted to do and I'm sure the boys will remember it for a long time. Backpacks are a good idea and we definitely check out the pizza place. Much appreciated. We will have to check out
Grand Central Station as well.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Those are some good points you have, and The Met is excellent, and accessible to all. Many people make up the difference with The Met, so cost should never be a barrier to entry.

You can do all kings of fun things in Central Park, perhaps have a picnic lunch in Sheep Meadow, take a walk to search for the statues, go to Belvedere Castle, etc. Depending upon the season, there's the Victorian Amusements and/or ice skating and, of course, Central Park Zoo. The Zoo is $3 a head for 12 and under, $8 for adults. And, there are also free guided tours of Central Park. Perhaps they have special events for Scouts? I am not sure if they do or not, but it might be worth an inquiry, since I know that groups should call for a custom tour, and it's free. Here's a link to the Central Park Conservancy: Central Park Conservancy: Walking Tours (http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/PageNavigator/programs_walkingtours - broken link)

There are many free walking tours that you can take around the city, sponsored by various business improvement districts.

Many of the museums, The Whitney, MoMA, and, Cooper-Hewitt, Folk Art, and The Guggenheim have free or pay-what-you-wish dontation programs on Friday evenings usually in the 4 or later to close time slots.

You could do something fun like get tickets to a taping of a New York based show as well. Here's a link for some information on that: Discount Broadway Tickets and Free TV Show Tickets in New York City

You can visit the Stock Exchange, Rockefeller Center (not the NBC tour for free, I think it's $10-$12 a head, depending upon group size), the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, and St. Bartholomew's, and St. Patrick's Cathedral.

I don't know how into movies like "National Treasure" your Scouts are, but you could explore some of the sites in Lower Manhattan used in the movie, such as Trinity Church, and combine it with the Stock Exchange. Federal Hall National Memorial is also in the area and is a National Park. In Season, you can go to Governor's Island via free ferry as well.

In Upper Manhattan, General Grant Memorial (aka Grant's Tomb) is also a member of the NPS and has free tours and some great views over the Hudson as well.

You could visit the Sony Technology Wonder Lab on Madison Avenue as well. Here's a link: Sony Wonder Technology Lab

Many NYC parks have some free attractions, including music and such in warmer weather. Here's a link to NYC parks for information, where you can search by free events as well: New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

The New York City Public Library is free as well, which features some programs for various ages of children, and sometimes there are free events in Bryant Park too.

And, if I am not mistaken, I do believe that the Museum of Natural History also has a suggested admissions policy, for in-person, ticketing, not advance purchase. The fees for some of the shows, however, are fixed, but the admission to the museum is scalable, I believe. American Museum of Natural History

The National Museum of the American Indian is part of the Smithsonian, and has a New York branch. All Smithsonian admissions are free, so it might be a good place to visit. Here's a link: National Museum of the American Indian

Something that one of my excellent fellow New York board posters has suggested to people in the past is that in lieu of a double-decker bus tour that people take the city buses with their Metro Card on certain routes and take in the sights that way. You don't get the narrative, but you can see and experience the city that way as well.

There's a lot to do in NYC without breaking the bank, so it should be a fun trip for the Scouts.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Here's some more information on the various walking tours that I alluded to in my earlier post (found the bookmarks on my other computer):

The Grand Central Partnership has a great tour that meets on Fridays at 12:30 and runs for two hours about Grand Central and the surrounding neighborhood. Grand Central Partnership (http://www.grandcentralpartnership.org/what_we_do/promote_free_tour.asp - broken link) The Grand Central tour has suggested donation, I believe $10, but you are not compelled or made to feel guilty for not donating, so don't let that stop you if you're interested in it.

The 34th Street Partnership sponsors hour and a half tours and has a few self-guided as well. Here's a link: http://www.34thstreet.org/district/guide/tours.php (http://www.34thstreet.org/district/guide/tours.php - broken link)

The Times Square Alliance sponsors a walking tour on Fridays at noon that covers the area's storied past. Here's a link: Times Square Alliance - About Us - Information Center

The Village Alliance has some free walking tours as well. Here's a link: Greenwich Village Events (scroll to the bottom of the page for tours)

The Lower East Side Business Improvement District also has some tours, art guided tours, and some you can do on your own. Here's a link: Welcome to the Lower East Side BID Website

The Downtown Alliance offers tours of the Wall St. area. Here's a link: Downtown Alliance

The Flatiron BID offers a free walking tour as well. Here's a link: Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership (http://www.flatironbid.org/tour.html - broken link)

The Lincoln Square BID also has a free walking tour. Lincoln Square BID (http://www.lincolnbid.org/news_events.html - broken link)

Union Square Partnership also has a walking tour. Union Square Partnership (http://unionsquarenyc.org/walk.html - broken link)

Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,213 times
Finally someone who does their own research and doesnt come in here blind. You have found the crown jewel of attractions. In my opinion, the ferry is the best attraction in NY because its free and it offers the best views. When you get off, walking around downtown is actually a good attraction in itself as that is the oldest part of the city and a much more pleasant walk than Midtown and other congested parts of Manhattan. Battery Park, Wall Street, NYSE, AMEX, WTC, City Hall, Brooklyn Bridge, the famous banks, its all right there below Chambers St.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 AM

537 posts, read 1,332,294 times
Default sooooooooooooooo

Big!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 AM

133 posts, read 466,481 times
Not sure how cheap your looking for but B'way has standing room tickets for like $20 that they sell 2 hours before the show. No plans needed!

One tour I give friends is a trip on the Path to Hoboken. When you get off the train you have an awesome view of the entire city. From there you can take the train back to WTC and as soon as you see daylight you are in the middle of groud zero. Its kind of surreal.
From there you can go the SI Ferry or Chinatown, BK Bridge, Wall St etc..

A tour of Grand Central is a must as well.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 AM

133 posts, read 466,481 times
One other thing:

The NYC Transit Museum is cheap. I think it is like $5. I think it is near the BK Bridge on the Brooklyn side.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM

52 posts, read 165,018 times
At Bryant Park you can skate for "free" but ice skate rentals will cost $12, locker rental is another $7, but maybe you could have an adult sit with all the bags and shoes and avoid that cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City