Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 11:41 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

I wasn't aware that the NYPD had such powers.

https://www.amny.com/news/debate-con...s-credentials/

The debate over whether not the NYPD should be responsible for approving press credentials was alive and well on Tuesday as City Council weighed a bill on transferring this duty to other agencies.

For decades, the NYPD has stood as the gatekeeper of issuing press credentials to reporters and photographers across the city, enabling them access to cover crime scenes, fire zones, street events and protests. Applicants are thoroughly screened and must provide proof that their work has been published.

However, the arrest of journalists during the George Floyd demonstrations over the summer led many lawmakers to question whether the NYPD should continue to have that function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 03:44 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I wouldn't have a problem moving this responsibilities to other agencies. It's the rationale behind such a move that is ridiculous to me.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:07 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Response: Opinion

Come one come all.............Crime scene no more.................watch the bodies hit the floor.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:16 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I truly hope they go all the way and disband the NYPD. My remaining friends are all too stupid to see that they are the target now, not the perps. Idiots are still out there making arrests.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-12-2021, 06:31 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I wasn't aware that the NYPD had such powers.

https://www.amny.com/news/debate-con...s-credentials/

The debate over whether not the NYPD should be responsible for approving press credentials was alive and well on Tuesday as City Council weighed a bill on transferring this duty to other agencies.

For decades, the NYPD has stood as the gatekeeper of issuing press credentials to reporters and photographers across the city, enabling them access to cover crime scenes, fire zones, street events and protests. Applicants are thoroughly screened and must provide proof that their work has been published.

However, the arrest of journalists during the George Floyd demonstrations over the summer led many lawmakers to question whether the NYPD should continue to have that function.
I've never heard of this either but not surprised to hear.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:56 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

Antifa Rioters holding Camera's and a Jacket that says "PRESS" are not journalists.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:36 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Mayor and City Council seek to move press credential powers away from NYPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I wouldn't have a problem moving this responsibilities to other agencies. It's the rationale behind such a move that is ridiculous to me.
So who should approve press credentials then? The Sanitation Department? The Department of Mental Health Services?

New York City is constantly visited by politicians, celebrities, foreign leaders and diplomats, etc. If the City Council and "His Wokeness" want to be protected by Mental Health Services, well that is both fine and fitting, but let the others continue to be protected by the police or some other security service.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
So who should approve press credentials then? The Sanitation Department? The Department of Mental Health Services?

New York City is constantly visited by politicians, celebrities, foreign leaders and diplomats, etc. If the City Council and "His Wokeness" want to be protected by Mental Health Services, well that is both fine and fitting, but let the others continue to be protected by the police or some other security service.
Maybe the Press Office?

Old 02-13-2021, 11:47 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Maybe the Press Office?
Hmm, a press office handles public relations for government and politicians.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Hmm, a press office handles public relations for government and politicians.
And the NYPD handles public safety/law enforcement. Modifying the charge of the Press Office to handle press credentials makes more sense than having the NYPD do it from where I stand. And it would be a natural extension of duties of the Press Office and is a function that press offices for other entities already performed; for instance, my undergrad press office handled press credentials. As I mentioned, I only have a problem with the rationale provided by some to move this function from the NYPD, not with the general debate on the appropriateness of the NYPD to handle such matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: