Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenburns View Post
there is no protection under the law for atheist.
I find this conclusion difficult to accept. Quite the contrary, there is no country in the world where one is as free as in America to pursue one's religious beliefs or lack thereof with full protection of the law. And the whole premise that Astoria is a mecca for white bigots intent on keeping blacks out seems like a tale from the 60's in a small Southern town - not in a vibrant, eclectic area like Astoria in a diverse borough like Queens in a cosmopolitan city like NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I find this conclusion difficult to accept. Quite the contrary, there is no country in the world where one is as free as in America to pursue one's religious beliefs or lack thereof with full protection of the law. And the whole premise that Astoria is a mecca for white bigots intent on keeping blacks out seems like a tale from the 60's in a small Southern town - not in a vibrant, eclectic area like Astoria in a diverse borough like Queens in a cosmopolitan city like NYC.
Quote:
still puzzles me why no one knew for 2 days that we were in major blackout. but then we had no power, we couldn't tell anyone.

to this day i thank the man, i never knew, that parked his car on 31st, and left all his doors open blasting his radio, so we could all listen. it was our one contact with the out side world. we were all gathered around his car.
Apparently it is a small town, easily cut off from the rest of the world when something bad happens. After all, when the electricity goes out, that means transportation doesn't work, buses halt mid-route, and cell phones stop working.

Stuff like this happening, I wouldn't want to live there either. I'm surprised this poster doesn't sell what is probably a $800,000 house purchased for 60K and get the holler out of dodge.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:49 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Nice Henna - how off the wall is this?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Nice Henna - how off the wall is this?
Very!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:14 PM

18 posts, read 45,651 times
Default astoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Atheism is not a religion, there is no protection. I hope President Obama changes that he did mention non-believers in his speech, that has made a lot of christians angry. i talk to these old people i know what they say. they are bigots. Astoria was a retirement area, then post 9/11 people from downtown found us. the natives here were not trilled about it, they fought change at their so called community meetings, they did not understand why i would not attend. i told them i want change, they didn't. i can not stand those community meetings. Astoria is vibrant now not because of the natives, but because of all the people that moved here from downtown. they were the ones that brought life into Astoria. the only thing the old people liked was they could up the rents, they are greedy. apartments were being warehoused in Astoria, i knew so many people that held back on their apartments. the real estate agents enjoyed that, please do not say real estates agents are honest they aren't. the real estate agents are telling people that long island city is astoria. one man i met a couple of years ago was very upset that a real estate had conned him, in renting in long island city. the agent had to him it was astoria, he told me when he was here this is astoria, not down there. real estate agents are trying too lose the name long island city, because they get more money by saying it is astoria.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Apparently it is a small town, easily cut off from the rest of the world when something bad happens. After all, when the electricity goes out, that means transportation doesn't work, buses halt mid-route, and cell phones stop working.

Stuff like this happening, I wouldn't want to live there either. I'm surprised this poster doesn't sell what is probably a $800,000 house purchased for 60K and get the holler out of dodge.
the house doesn't belong to me, it belongs to my children. as for the value it is going down pretty fast.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I believe that there are things that don't get reported. But of course that makes them hard to verify if they don't even appear in local papers. I would think something like a post office having to be relocated because of a block fire would be pretty easy to verify. (I am taking a break from fact checking for awhile.)

But one thing that doesn't seem too accurate is that Astoria is somehow not connected well in terms of internet activity. Did I interpret this correctly? That seems a bit silly especially since the local Astorians online forum, which is probably considered a competing site so I won't mention the name, has 5000 members and has been in existence for 6 or 7 years. Also they have many active bloggers who write about food and local events and politics. In fact it's one of the most active, if not THE most active, neighborhood internet communties in all of NYC.

then you have done your research on Astoria hipsters, how the greeks have joined in effort to get rid of them from Astoria. they even have a group on facebook to stop the hipsters from coming to astoria. astoria does not like a bunch of young people changing their life. also remember archie bunker, he was suppose to live in astoria, so that really did explain how people thought in astoria. they are still that way, but they do it in a quiet way except the greeks, say they have to go.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
then you have done your research on Astoria hipsters, how the greeks have joined in effort to get rid of them from Astoria. they even have a group on facebook to stop the hipsters from coming to astoria. astoria does not like a bunch of young people changing their life. also remember archie bunker, he was suppose to live in astoria, so that really did explain how people thought in astoria. they are still that way, but they do it in a quiet way except the greeks, say they have to go.
Your posts are really confusing. First you say the oldtimers hate the internet. Then you say they have a facebook group!!

First you say no one had heard of Astoria til 2001, after 9/11. Then you say everyone knew about Astoria because Archie Bunker was from there.

It's hard to keep up with the conflicting info.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Your posts are really confusing. First you say the oldtimers hate the internet. Then you say they have a facebook group!!

First you say no one had heard of Astoria til 2001, after 9/11. Then you say everyone knew about Astoria because Archie Bunker was from there.

It's hard to keep up with the conflicting info.
i said the greeks are behind getting rid of hipsters. i did not say the greeks were not on the internet. it is the old americans living here that don't like the net. they go back generations. every one had heard of astoria because of archie bunker, but they didn't know just where it was except in queens. do research on the net you will find it.
the greeks are on facebook. there is no conflict in my info.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Are we still talking about this???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City